Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
Matt_g
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas/Missouri
Default State Farm Homeowners Claim- Lowballed

Anyone have experience negotiating with SF on a homeowners claim?

Iíve sent them repair estimates from two different contractors, each over $35k, and today SF sends me an estimate for $15k minus my deductible... Nobody from SF has came out to physically inspect the damage so Iím not sure where/how they are getting their numbers...

Iíve tried calling my ďclaim handlerĒ to discuss this, but was only able to leave voicemails today, Iím sure they are swamped with claims due to the freeze.

Wondering if a friendly conversation is the way to go or if itís best to have a lawyer send a love letter their way. Any input is appreciated!
Matt_g is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

State farm in Texas is an "All Perils" as far as I know and should cover pretty much anything. I'd try to have a conversation first. Usually it will be they will pay the minimum they think they can get away with and then pay anything over once an approved contractor comes to do the work and says, "Hey, It's going to cost this much".
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:55 PM   #3
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, Ok

You should have a discussion with your agent or claim rep. I would assume they will either negotiate with contractor or maybe that is an initial payment to get repairs started....ive always had good experience with them and not knowing what type of claim you have or for what will help drive the conversation. Maybe an atty is where you will end up but i would talk to them first and see what the justification for the payment was. Good luck!!!
EliteDriver is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
State farm in Texas is an "All Perils" as far as I know and should cover pretty much anything. I'd try to have a conversation first. Usually it will be they will pay the minimum they think they can get away with and then pay anything over once an approved contractor comes to do the work and says, "Hey, It's going to cost this much".

Gotcha, thanks for the info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 12:26 AM   #5
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDriver View Post
You should have a discussion with your agent or claim rep. I would assume they will either negotiate with contractor or maybe that is an initial payment to get repairs started....ive always had good experience with them and not knowing what type of claim you have or for what will help drive the conversation. Maybe an atty is where you will end up but i would talk to them first and see what the justification for the payment was. Good luck!!!

Yeah Iíve been with them for 15 years and have never had a claim before, neither home or auto. We had a sewer backup/overflow! Flooded the house with poo water... Not fun! Iíll try calling again on Monday, I appreciate the input!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #6
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Public adjuster.

Find a good one or hire a lawyer.

It’s the only thing that State Farm understands.

Advising the policyholder to talk to their agent or the carrier is terrible advice these days

I talked to a client earlier today who was asked to sign a GENERAL RELEASE before the carrier released the payment for the mitigation vendor.

If you don’t understand the implications of that, you need counsel.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 01:00 AM   #7
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

SF is the suck. Left them years ago. Needed a new roof, they denied it switched to Farm Bureau. Got some hail, they covered everything...zero issues.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 02:39 AM   #8
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

Public Adjuster- ASAP!!
I had an upstairs toilet tank crack and flood my house. After dealing with the insurance adjuster and getting as much money as I could, I hired a public adjuster. They tried to clean and re-stretch the same carpet, wanted to match paint where they had removed sheetrock and baseboards, did not want to replace bathroom vanities where it was obvious water damage and some other small things.

The public adjuster pretty much suggested getting his lawyer involved. After I had collected everything I could get from insurance, we ended up in mitigation and played the back and forward game for about 7 rounds and settled on a very large dollar amount. Its amazing how quick they are to pay out when there is a chance of going to a jury trial. Public adjuster got 10% and lawyer got 30% of the agreed settlement at mitigation.

So i got 100% of all they planned to give me initially, and 60% of the settlement after hiring the PA / Lawyer. If i ever have another home owners claim of any kind, i will call the public adjuster and have him handle everything from the start and gladly let him have his 10%.
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 04:50 AM   #9
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
SF is the suck. Left them years ago. Needed a new roof, they denied it switched to Farm Bureau. Got some hail, they covered everything...zero issues.
Worst in the business......................
They "ain't" your good neighbor.....................
But hey, I gotta give'em props, for running one hell of an
insurance scam...............
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #10
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

I have heard a ton of bad experiences with State Farm. Alot of guys I work with from Louisiana are still battling with them from Hurricane Laura.
Muddy Bud is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #11
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

We've never had an issue with State Farm. We've had a few claims over 30+ years and never one issue.
YMMV

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #12
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I was with State Farm for twenty-five years. Then they decided to rearrange things and it was going to raise my premium by about a grand a year. I told them fine, I would shop the policy around. Ended up saving about $400 a year and have been very happy with the claims service from Germania.

Get your own adjuster. They are playing games. Your contractors may be playing games as well. It seems that a lot of people see this event as an opportunity to price gouge.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
Public adjuster.

Itís the only thing that State Farm understands.

Advising the policyholder to talk to their agent or the carrier is terrible advice these days

I talked to a client earlier today who was asked to sign a GENERAL RELEASE before the carrier released the payment for the mitigation vendor.

If you donít understand the implications of that, you need counsel.
☝️What he said!
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Public adjuster.

Why donít you make a trip to Tomball and help me out with this!
Old 02-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderrg View Post
Public Adjuster- ASAP!!
I had an upstairs toilet tank crack and flood my house. After dealing with the insurance adjuster and getting as much money as I could, I hired a public adjuster. They tried to clean and re-stretch the same carpet, wanted to match paint where they had removed sheetrock and baseboards, did not want to replace bathroom vanities where it was obvious water damage and some other small things.

The public adjuster pretty much suggested getting his lawyer involved. After I had collected everything I could get from insurance, we ended up in mitigation and played the back and forward game for about 7 rounds and settled on a very large dollar amount. Its amazing how quick they are to pay out when there is a chance of going to a jury trial. Public adjuster got 10% and lawyer got 30% of the agreed settlement at mitigation.

So i got 100% of all they planned to give me initially, and 60% of the settlement after hiring the PA / Lawyer. If i ever have another home owners claim of any kind, i will call the public adjuster and have him handle everything from the start and gladly let him have his 10%.

Very interesting... Iíll try to do some research on a public adjuster, thank you very much!!!
Old 02-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #16
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Worst in the business......................
They "ain't" your good neighbor.....................
But hey, I gotta give'em props, for running one hell of an
insurance scam...............

Getting that vibe myself... Quick to take your premium payments but when itís their turn, they donít seem to work as fast!
Old 02-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Waiting on the contract from my public adjuster. Full post to come once itís all over.

TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Add another bad experience with State Farm, i won't use them
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #19
Matt_g
Six Point

Are you happy with him so far?

Interested in their contact info if so!
Old 02-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Add another bad experience with State Farm, i won't use them

The restoration company I used said that HOAIC is by far the best insurance company when it comes to claims.

Looks like Iíll be doing some research on them once this is settled.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #21
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

My father had the same issue a couple years ago and would not take of him. Needless to say he is not a a SF customer any longer.
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #22
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

I wouldnít do anything with the check. Give it a little time and let an agent come out to assess damage. SF is pretty good about taking care of everything.

HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #23
sailor
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_g View Post
Getting that vibe myself... Quick to take your premium payments but when itís their turn, they donít seem to work as fast!
I could tell you, a horror story about SF................
But, there might be children present..........
Besides...... that TV advertizing, ain't cheap...............
Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #24
sailor
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I wouldnít do anything with the check. Give it a little time and let an agent come out to assess damage. SF is pretty good about taking care of everything.

Yea, SF is real good,........ at taking care of SF...............
Old 02-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #25
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Public adjuster.

This.

My son's claim went from 12K to 86K................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #26
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

Old Jake is talking to his boss on the phone.

Boss to Jake: Hey Jake, we just screwed another one.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ttachment.php?
attachmentid=1041147&stc=1&d=1613834117
Attached Images

tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #27
Wood Rat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Houston, Pasadena

I have had SF for over 30 years in Pearland everything I have is through them house, boat, cars SBS, 4 wheeler, car loans. Never one issue they have always been great to work with and very helpfull. Could just be the agent you have maybe? And they have always been able to beat any other bank on loan %
Wood Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #28
slomo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor and Nolan county

I have had State Farm for several years, only ever had an auto claim (not at fault but Allstate was giving me the run around) They asked for pictures of damage and 2 days later I had the money in my account.
slomo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #29
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

In times as these the insurance companies bring in the storm chasers to handle claims. I had two flood claims with contract adjusters. One was very bad. One was good. Since they are hired by the insurance companies I am always suspicious.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #30
Matt_g
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
In times as these the insurance companies bring in the storm chasers to handle claims. I had two flood claims with contract adjusters. One was very bad. One was good. Since they are hired by the insurance companies I am always suspicious.

My claim was on 2/1, prior to all the freezing. Didnít get a estimate from SF until 2/18. Havenít had any contact from an adjuster. The only people from State Farm Iíve talked to are two ďclaim handlersĒ. Not sure if they are desk adjusters or what
Old 02-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #31
Alderrg
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
This.

My son's claim went from 12K to 86K................
yes.. mine i posted about earlier went from about 21k to 80k. It was a PITA and took about 4 months, but was worth it.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #32
Apodz
Six Point

Hunt In: Central, Brazos Valley and West Texas

Don’t go the public adjuster or lawyer route just yet. Get with your agent. Tell your agent what your dealing with and what you expect. If he doesn’t help you then switch agents. A lot of that service is on us as homes owners when picking an agent. Most people just go with whoever saves them the most money but don’t realize who they are dealing with until it comes time when you need them in your corner.
Apodz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #33
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
My claim was on 2/1, prior to all the freezing. Didnít get a estimate from SF until 2/18. Havenít had any contact from an adjuster. The only people from State Farm Iíve talked to are two ďclaim handlersĒ. Not sure if they are desk adjusters or what

Given the mess you are in, why would you wait 2.5 weeks for an estimate? Also your agent should be engaged if you arenít getting the answers you need in a timely manner. This has drug out and now you are fighting for peopleís time with the surge of claims taking place now.

Ive been with SF for 40 years. Weíve had our share of claims over that time and everyone of them was handled to my satisfaction. Thatís why Iím still with them.
Guess Iíve been lucky after reading the responses.

rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #34
Matt_g
Six Point

Default State Farm Homeowners Claim- Lowballed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Given the mess you are in, why would you wait 2.5 weeks for an estimate? Also your agent should be engaged if you arenít getting the answers you need in a timely manner. This has drug out and now you are fighting for peopleís time with the surge of claims taking place now.

Ive been with SF for 40 years. Weíve had our share of claims over that time and everyone of them was handled to my satisfaction. Thatís why Iím still with them.
Guess Iíve been lucky after reading the responses.

This is my first claim so I didnít know how long the process normally takes... I did all my stuff immediately, pics/videos and got 3 contractors out for quotes. Didnít realize I had a say in how fast State Farm finishes their estimate...
Old 02-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #35
tpack
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderrg View Post
yes.. mine i posted about earlier went from about 21k to 80k. It was a PITA and took about 4 months, but was worth it.
I had something similar happen to me. They ended up paying 80% more than the original estimate and I got everything fixed as it should have been in the first place. Then the next time my coverage ran out I dropped them(they can kiss my *****) and they never had a chance to recover their losses from me by future premiums..... Doesn`t sound like a very good business model if you ask me.

But, if they didn`t get away with this type of bull *****, they wouldn`t continue to do it. If you are not shopping around every 4-5 years and switching insurances you are losing money. I ain`t married to none of them.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #36
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apodz View Post
Donít go the public adjuster or lawyer route just yet. Get with your agent. Tell your agent what your dealing with and what you expect. If he doesnít help you then switch agents. A lot of that service is on us as homes owners when picking an agent. Most people just go with whoever saves them the most money but donít realize who they are dealing with until it comes time when you need them in your corner.
Absolutely not.

Your little agent cannot handle your claim when he isnít overloaded.

And he WILL BE OVERLOADED.

Even if he could do some good by calling into the carrier, he wonít be able to get in on the phone either.

Stop giving bad advice - some of us do this every single day and know better.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #37
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
This is my first claim so I didnít know how long the process normally takes... I did all my stuff immediately, pics/videos and got 3 contractors out for quotes. Didnít realize I had a say in how fast State Farm finishes their estimate...

You donít but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Iím hoping the first 15k estimate was just to get you started and then they will get things finalized with a more complete number. Best of luck with it all.

rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #38
Charles
Pope & Young

The 15k you already received could be the initial half of the claim. Something worth looking into.

Any of my large claims I have filed, they sent me a check to get the ball rolling. Once all work was completed they released the rest of the money. If something cost more, I submitted quotes for additional cost and they "eventually" got approved.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #39
tpack
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
You donít but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Iím hoping the first 15k estimate was just to get you started and then they will get things finalized with a more complete number. Best of luck with it all.

Or maybe they are they are hoping he will just take the lowball check and cash it and give up on getting any more money. I`ll bet it works more times than not.

If 15K was a partial payment, it should have stated that it was a partial payment instead of making you guess. You make your yearly premiums for years and never make a claim, and the one time you need them to hold their end they drop the ball(lowball).

Insurance companies are not your friends. I don`t care how long you have been doing with them or how well you may think you know your agent.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #40
xman59
Pope & Young

insurance companies are designed to make money not give it out, you will never get a fair shake from one up front, period!
talk to them first tell them you know your getting the shaft, if they don't want to take care of their obligation then, tell them the next call will be from your attorney... I had damage from hurricane rita and got the same crap from allstate.... i told the adjuster it would be cheaper to do it right the first time than pay for my lawyer fees on top of the legit claim,,, guy wrote me another check for over $15,000, that did cover the damages and some on top,,,

adjuster jobs are to limit the payment in any way possible,,, to save the company money... and that was just what mine did, he saved them a lot of money from a legit lawsuit
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #41
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

I used to be a CPA who worked on behalf of Insurance carriers. I switched sides and became a public adjuster. I can tell you who the bad guys are and how to handle them. PM me and I'll give you some tips.
asu-indian is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #42
Apodz
Six Point

Quote:
Absolutely not.

Your little agent cannot handle your claim when he isn’t overloaded.

Even if he could do some good by calling into the carrier, he won’t be able to get in on the phone either.

I work in the roofing industry. I do do this every single day. My father has been a State Farm agent for 31 years now and I know the difference in a good agent who will put in the work and take care of his clients or one that won’t. So if you do this every day and you are claiming it can’t happen then maybe you should spend less time on the golf course and more time taking care of your people. There are plenty of agents out there that will go to battle with you and for you. There’s also plenty of agents that don’t. That’s why I said it is on us as a home owner to pick the right agent and not just go find the cheapest rate. You still get what you pay for. My agent (my dad) still gets on the roof with adjusters, talks to claim reps daily, and understands what it means to take care of customers. So maybe your the one giving out bad advice. Find a better agent is your best first option.

Last edited by Apodz; 02-21-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #43
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I’ve had to deal with a couple of insurance claims in the last month. Progressive was great State Farm sucked. I fought with State Farm for a couple of weeks about paying for my wife’s rental car (their client hit her). They didn’t like that parts were back ordered and wanted the shop to put my wife’s car back together and have her drive it until parts came in (was about 7 days of wait time). I’ll never even consider them for my insurance needs.
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #44
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Public adjuster.

Disagree on talking to your agent, and I know you are in the know on this for sure, BUT I have been with an independent agent for many years, 30+ on house and vehicles and never had one problem. Never had to deal with the insurance company, always with my agent. I do probably pay more on everything, but to me that is piece of mind and so far no problems from claims on the house or vehicles!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #45
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Just wrapped up a small claim on my daughters car a month back. Had to finally call agent and threaten to remove all of my business if they did not stop trying to screw me over a 3500 claim.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #46
Alderrg
Four Point

i use an independent agent. He gave me **** good advice when my toilet cracked and flooded the house.

He said, cut up and rip as much carpet out as possible. And to make sure you cut a section in each room so that the insurance comp does not try to re use the carpet. ( he was dead on, bc they attempted to)
And after the insurance adjuster tried to rip me off, my agent instructed me to go the public adjuster / lawyer route.
He was spot on again with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Disagree on talking to your agent, and I know you are in the know on this for sure, BUT I have been with an independent agent for many years, 30+ on house and vehicles and never had one problem. Never had to deal with the insurance company, always with my agent. I do probably pay more on everything, but to me that is piece of mind and so far no problems from claims on the house or vehicles!
Old 02-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #47
Apodz
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post

Yes this is why like in my original post i said it is important and also on the home owner when choosing an agent. You get what you pay for just like anything else. And when you shop around, and get a discount, expect that discounted service as well.

Itís not end all be all but a good agent goes a long way when it comes to filing claims.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #48
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Absolutely not.

Your little agent cannot handle your claim when he isnít overloaded.

Even if he could do some good by calling into the carrier, he wonít be able to get in on the phone either.

There is one person on this thread that knows what he is talking about on this subject. This guy right here. ^^^^^

You best listen to him.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #49
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Foremost is the worst I've ever dealt with. Do what they say are you will be cancelled at next renewal. I think it's partly my agents fault. No backbone to help.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #50
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
I agree. Not a fan. Definitely mot ďlike a good neighborĒ.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top