hill country cattle vs south tx cattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hill country cattle vs south tx cattle?

why are south tx cattle so mean and jumpy?

[emoji3061]

Comment

location ant type of cows

lots of those cows in south texas don't see a human every day and most of then have a lot ear on them

Comment

We talking low fence cows or high fence cows?

Comment

we have cows in the hills that pay us no mind. was down south on a ranch this weekend and it was like being around rodeo stock!

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post

lots of those cows in south texas don't see a human every day and most of then have a lot ear on them

This and this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cows that walk on rocks all day don't jump much...

Comment

the cows that live in the Cain between the river and the tick fence are completely wild animals , and would probably kill you if you’re not carful, I have always wondered how the BP and illegals deal with them
                One ranch I hunted as a kid In Zapata county had zebu cattle and they were more spooky than the deer

Comment

Not much human contact with south Texas cattle. JMO

Comment

My ex’s family use to run several thousand head of steers in Zavala and surrounding counties. As mentioned they most likely don’t see humans everyday or even weekly. Also the majority have “ear” meaning Brahma in them since they are more adaptive to arid climates. And third they live in a area that is either sticking you, scratching, or trying to bite, sting you. All in 100 degree heat most of the yr. I would be ****** too

Comment

I don't own cattle nor am I a cowboy, but cattle that live in mesquite thickets just seem to be meaner.

Comment

You would be mean as well if every time you laid down you would lay down on thorns!

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post

Yeap, this right here

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Breed.
                            Survival instincts.

Comment

South Texas cattle - need large acreage to range the brush country of South Texas. And these cattle are turned out to pasture for a year upwards to several years with zero human interaction. Some of the bulls, are literally never rounded up, and many of them jump fences into the next ranch - chasing the neighbors heifers.

50 head on 5000 acres of thick brush (south) versus 50 head on 500 acres (hills).

South Texas has a HEALTHY COYOTE POPULATION
                              Hill Country - Sheep/Goat ranching - past 100 years - has really hammered Coyotes, literally zero coyote influence

Brush country cattle - it's wild as crap on huge ranches - some spreads in the 10 - 20 thousand acre range - running as many head as the acreage can carry in that dense brush. They become wilder by default and some, are never caught in the brush.

South Texas cattle round-ups - bunch of Mexican Vaqueros on horseback - chaps for the horse and riders along with a helo or plane to help.

Many ranchers in South Texas - feed cow cake with a bull horn - just to interact with their cattle - keeping them semi-tame for roundup. Other's - just leave them out there, check water and they roam wild on thousands of acres.

Not so much in the Hill Country - ranches there are smaller and the terrain is easier to manage animals on an individual level versus the brush.

Back in the 2000s - My old boss ran 12,000 acres of cattle in Webb County. The family managed 300,000 acres in Webb and 200,000 acres in Northern Mexico. Learned a ton about Mexican/South Texas cattle operations. It's different down there versus pretty much the rest of Texas IRT Cattle operations.

Hill Country - many ranches with cattle, carry small herds and supplement sheep/goats in other pastures. South Texas has zero sheep and goats - so you don't have the livestock diversity down south. Add a few exotics, the cows eventually get replaced with exotics on many Hill Country ranches. Had an uncle who ran Cows, Sheep & Goats in Gillespie County - his entire life. Hill country ranchers are versed in a wider range of livestock in the hills IMO
                              Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-11-2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X