Any A/C guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any A/C guys?

I'll start by saying I know nothing about air conditioner systems. One of my units went out the other day, 3-ton, 13 years old. AC guy came out and looked it over, everything is good except the blower motor (ECM Blower Motor, X13). His estimate for replacement was $1,200 ($12,000 to replace the entire unit, which I'm not going to do). Seems not only high, but very high. Thoughts?

$12,000 for a 3 ton unit is outrageous.

I was quoted $5,500 for everything for the same size. I don’t know about the other part.

Comment

1200 for a factory x-13 isn’t terribly far off. You could probably call around and find someone to put in a universal replacement x-13 a little cheaper.
      If 12k was the only option you got for replacement, definitely call around. A good company should give you a range of options that probably run way under and way over that number.

Comment

Matt nailed it. Call someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got it running. Turns out the motor was only $400 and I put it in myself. I'm all for a guy making money, but $800 profit for for an hour or 2 seems high. Working in the attic does suck though.

Comment

A/c guys rip alot of people off, theres a ton of profit in that business. Usually whatever the price they give u, half of that is profit. A 2 ton unit inside and out runs around 1500 bucks and they are charging about 5 grand for it installed here in the houston area.

Comment

Had to put Blower motor in my 3 1/2 Trane a few months ago..<$200...did it myself

Comment

My buddy makes plenty money doing what those 12k ac companies do for half the cost. Its crazy how bad the big names bend people over

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X