Old Reloading Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Reloading Powder

I have a bunch of my dad's old powder. 20 to 30 years old. I assume that it is no good. Is that correct?

Smell test it...if you have hints of ammonia then spread it out in the yard. It's essentially fertilizer.

Comment

Just found this one.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	phpS35WtTAM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	24645707

Comment

Got any pics? The tins they come in can be collectible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used 30+ year old pistol and shotgun powder with no issues at all. Did the smell test. I knew it had been kept in the A/C all those years.

Comment

Think about all the surplus ammo that is 50+ years older that still shoots just fine. If it’s been kept in a climate controlled environment, it’s most likely good.

Comment

Most of my supply is over 20 years old. It shoots just fine.

Comment

Area has not been climate controlled for a long time. And I missed my guess on age. The newest powder was bought about 1987. On a side note the boxes of 100 bullets have prices of $12 to $14.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                  Most of my supply is over 20 years old. It shoots just fine.
                  same here. I'm careful to keep it and my primers in the house even though I load in the shop.

Comment

If the powder sticks together in clumps, it's bad. If you dump some out at put a match to it. It should ignite and be completely gone, almost instantly, if it has a slow burning flame or a lingering flame, it's bad.

It's very possible the powder could be good. I bought some powder, that was made some where between the 1940s and 1950s, that is still good. If it stayed sealed up and or stored in a dry place, usually with A/C. Helps reduce the damage from moister.

I had a bunch of powder from the 80s and 90s, that got moister in the cans. That stuff, was sticky, burnt slowly. I dumped all of that stuff.

Putting the cap back on properly and making sure the seal, stays on the bottom of the cap is very important, if the can has been opened.

Comment

I have loaded and shot some very old powder. Currently working on a 3 lb tin of Win 231 that is from 80s (maybe 70s). Shoots well. I wouldn't have any problems using it unless it had signs that it was bas as stated above.

Comment

Working...
                      X