Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to clean a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes me an hour, plus or minus.

I like to skin mine first, then gut. It is a lot cleaner. I also do a few other things to keep it clean. When I cut the bung hole I pull it up a tad and use a cable tie to close it tight. Keeps the poopies off my meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
      It takes me an hour, plus or minus.

I like to skin mine first, then gut. It is a lot cleaner. I also do a few other things to keep it clean. When I cut the bung hole I pull it up a tad and use a cable tie to close it tight. Keeps the poopies off my meat.
      We used to skin then gut because we smoked the ribs in camp. Had a method where the bones would fall out. Taco meat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        If i have a good knife 20 to 30 min in the box on ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          I never considered it to be a contest. I debone as I go unless I'm going to hang it up, and never (ever) use a saw. Pluck any loose hairs as I go, harvest caul fat and any organs I can. Neck roast, tongue, it takes a minute. It always takes longer in the kitchen afterwards than it does on the gambrel, so better to send as much as you can to the boneyard beforehand.
          Do you hunt on land at your house?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It takes me about 45 minutes because I'm real careful about keeping the meat clean. When I'm done there won't be a hair or speck of dirt on the meat.

I'm processing a buck right now that was donated by one of our lease members who cleans them real fast. Never saw so much hair and dirt...and it's REALLY adding to the processing time.

I'll take quality over speed any day when it comes to cleaning a deer.

Comment

12 minutes on a doe one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

45-60 minutes, skinned, deboned on ice.

Comment

Depends on the weather. Haha
                  If it’s nasty outside I can get one done pretty quick but I prefer to take my time and do a really good job because it makes the processing and packaging go a lot quicker.
                  I had one quartered the other day and gave it to my old preacher and he couldn’t believe how clean it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I've never understood the dirty thing. A few hairs maybe, but unless you drop them on the ground I don't know where the dirt comes from. Even the ones I've done in the woods, hung from a limb and put in meat bags were clean.
                    Even big pigs we clean on the ground. Skin one half, cut off the meat, roll over and repeat. All stays on the hide or in the bags.
                    Talk about taking longer though and hard tobthe lower back.

Comment

Use to do it in 10min. but that as back in the day.

Comment

20 minutes with clean floor washed out back of truck and trip to the gut pile boned out or no gut quarter in the cooler and that is average for around 80 deer per year for the ranch with me and my boys... lots of practice

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Yeah I've never understood the dirty thing. A few hairs maybe, but unless you drop them on the ground I don't know where the dirt comes from. Even the ones I've done in the woods, hung from a limb and put in meat bags were clean.
                          Even big pigs we clean on the ground. Skin one half, cut off the meat, roll over and repeat. All stays on the hide or in the bags.

Pretty sure the dirt folks leave out the meat bag part...

Comment

Never timed myself but I'd guess about an hour. I use a Havalon piranta and I'm doing good if I only cut myself once per deer.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

That all doesnt matter if you take it to a processor.

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
                                That all doesnt matter if you take it to a processor.
                                I still have to ice them until the trip to the processor.

Comment

Working...
                                X