Cook Venison Tenderloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
    I "know" its probably the best and tastiest way to eat it, but dang, I just cant do rare or medium rare. We try and cook our meat so that its cooked enough, but get it off before it gets to dried out. Sometimes we dont get it. Sometimes we do. Is there a way to cook that tenderloin without "taking it off when its rare"?

Of course you can overcook it if that’s the way you like it! The previous post that mentioned baking it might be right for you. Just don’t dry it out (which is hard to do past med rare).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I "know" its probably the best and tastiest way to eat it, but dang, I just cant do rare or medium rare. We try and cook our meat so that its cooked enough, but get it off before it gets to dried out. Sometimes we dont get it. Sometimes we do. Is there a way to cook that tenderloin without "taking it off when its rare"?
      Might reverse sear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
        We tried this
        Cool so they are firm and easy to cut. Cut roughly 1/4” thick and season to taste. Drizzle with high quality olive oil.
        In a hot cast iron skillet melt half stick of butter
        Drop in the tenderloins and sear only. Basically rare medium rare at the most
        Serve in a piece of pita bread with graded Gouda cheese
        It was delicious
        Me too with the addition of a finely minced clove of garlic in the butter.

Comment

Sous vide

Comment

Ours never make it home. I rub with a little avocado oil, steak seasoning and grill to rare.

Comment

Look into sous vide.

Cooks entire meat to even temp the sear on high heat after. I sous vide a filets med rare but I’m sure you can do it to a higher temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hard sear in cast iron with your favored steak seasoning, maybe a minute per side then toss in 500 degree oven for about 3-4 minutes.

Comment

Yes if you want it done past med rare I would inject with creole butter marinade and sous vide to 140-145 then sear over hot coals or grill for a minute each side. Tenderloin is my favorite cut off a deer. Like others have said salt pepper garlic cook till 128-129 pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                    A high heat oil of your choice and kosher salt. HOT fire to rare (medium rare at most!) and then coarse pepper after the cook to avoid burning the pepper so it isn't bitter. Shouldn't need no teef to chew it!
                    This right here!!!!!

Comment

My son introduced me to the tenderloins last year. This year at thanksgiving we shot a couple of deer and I thought it would be a great time to try some on the grill. I used a little Montreal steak and threw them on a charcoal grille. I cooked them med rare. I can’t believe I have hunted deer for thirty years and didn’t know about the tenderloin. This was the best venison I have ever had in my life. From now on I will always take extra care with this excellent cut of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                        Look into sous vide.

Cooks entire meat to even temp the sear on high heat after. I sous vide a filets med rare but I’m sure you can do it to a higher temp.
                        What temp do you use for sous vide of venison? We season and then use 130 for steaks at about 100 minutes, then sear in butter and they always turn out perfect, and very moist. With venison I was thinking that it might need to be a lower temp and slightly shorter cooking time since they are lean and thinner cuts.

Comment

Yes all of these!!!!^^^^^^

I have sliced them thin, batter and fried, to skillet seared rare. Never had a Tenderloin I didn't like, loved them all.

Comment

Great feedback above...you are definitely in for a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                              What temp do you use for sous vide of venison? We season and then use 130 for steaks at about 100 minutes, then sear in butter and they always turn out perfect, and very moist. With venison I was thinking that it might need to be a lower temp and slightly shorter cooking time since they are lean and thinner cuts.
                              I sous vide at 100 for 45 minutes or so, just to get it close to even temp throughout, not really to cook it. It’s already tender. Then I sear to internal of 115 - 120. That’s rare though. If you go for medium well, probably try it the same way as your steaks. Might just throw together a marinade of some kind to help it stay moist.

Comment

#1 favorite way is a double buttermilk batter, chicken-fried then make sawmill gravy and mashed taters with yeast rolls...

[ATTACH]1036013[/ATTACH]

Also very good is seared tenderloin with a Pontchatrain sauce recipe that I got from Cajun blake made from heavy cream, dijon mustard, capers n a little butter, oil and cracked peppercorns with capers...

[ATTACH]1036014[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X