Going back on thread are kids soft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back on thread are kids soft

A thread about a week ago from "Worksalot", I saw today at about 330 pm on sb 35 betweem San Marcos and New Braunfels a dad fixing a flat while 2 kids about 10-13 years old sitting on grass median between main lanes and frontage on their cell phones.

***???

At least I give the dad giving credit gor changing his own tire and safety for his kids, but come on.

Maybe I saw it wrong but as kids, my brothers and I always worked on my dads GTO.

In that situation I'd probably make the kids stay in the car or such, dont think I really want them out near the road helping with that. At home in the garage, sure, but not in a less than ideal situation.

Comment

I will teach my kids how to take care of themselves but changing a tire on the side of 35 and involving kids is a HECK NO!

I have no issues with the dad making them sit to the side. I can teach them in the driveway when we put the new tire on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I certainly wouldn’t expect my kids to fix it by themselves if they didn’t know how and in those circumstances, but they’d be down there beside me learning how if it weren’t on a busy road. They wouldn’t be on cell phones not engaged in what I was doing and making sure they could change their own when the time comes.

Comment

I have no issue at all with what you saw. My kids safety take priority in that situation. I probably would have done the same thing. That doesn't mean those kids are soft.

Comment

On the side of I35? Heck no. Would not be the place for a teaching moment.

Comment

I am sure my son would have “wanted” to assist at that age but considering it was on a busy highway, any highway......no thanks. My kids safety at that age would have been my priority. Had a Family member killed changing a tire on the side of a freeway. Unfortunate. I could only imagine if one of my cousins had been next to him changing the tire as well. I am all for young kids helping out but not in this particular situation. My kids are not soft so I really have no worries.

Comment

When I was that age in the late 80's and early 90's, my dad would not let my sister and/or me near the car when it was jacked up changing a tire. We sat in the ditch on the side of several back roads with no traffic at all while he changed the tire. He said he was always afraid the car might fall off the jack. Thanks for making me soft dad! Lol. Sorry OP, I don't think that situation makes them soft, but I did notice today that there were very few kids outside playing with their Christmas gifts like everyone did when I was a kid. Times change and so do people. FYI, I did eventually learn how to change a tire before I started driving though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I have no issue at all with what you saw. My kids safety take priority in that situation. I probably would have done the same thing. That doesn't mean those kids are soft.
                  Agreed

Probably safest place for them is out of the car. Hear about people zoning in on cars on the shoulder and hitting them at highway speed and usually killing or seriously injuring anyone in or near them.

I would try to get off the highway to change a flat if possible

Comment

Haha is this real post?

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                      A thread about a week ago from "Worksalot", I saw today at about 330 pm on sb 35 betweem San Marcos and New Braunfels a dad fixing a flat while 2 kids about 10-13 years old sitting on grass median between main lanes and frontage on their cell phones.

***???

At least I give the dad giving credit gor changing his own tire and safety for his kids, but come on.

Maybe I saw it wrong but as kids, my brothers and I always worked on my dads GTO.

Having been a Volunteer Firefighter for 18 years, and having I-35 running thru my district, I have worked many scenes, where distracted drivers have rear ended disabled cars...

I appreciate the father getting his kids out of harms way...

I wonder,, if you were so concerned to start a thread,, why didn’t you get behind the disabled vehicle and block traffic for him??????? Or possibly assist him changing tire to limit time on the side of hi way??

Comment

He should have had them playing some street football. If you can doge a Porsche, you can dodge a linebacker

Comment

Hijack

This is probably way off topic...but I helped get a 15yr old boy on a good mng buck this afternoon. Now mind you his daddy is a experienced hunter.

Boy shoots deer...the boy’s dad immediately texts my son on group text asking if my son would clean the deer for them. Son says sure...you bought the beer earlier !

All good so far,right ? Well what bothers me is the fact that the boy stayed on his phone the entire time my son cleaned the deer...giggling like a girl. I was pretty sure he wasn’t googling “how to skin a deer videos “ ! Never offered to help...was “grossed out” by the ticks on the deer...and was just generally unconcerned.

Kids these days are treated differently than us old farts. Don’t blame them...it’s us
                          Last edited by jdavidson; 12-25-2019, 10:02 PM. Reason: Stupid

Comment

My apologies...completely off topic !

Comment

Are kids getting soft? The answer is yes most are, I had my son tell me “why do you want me to live a hard life like you did?” After I gave him a few examples of how my dad was with us. To tell you the truth I didn’t have it that bad... Video games are getting kids soft, cell phones, internet/social media and YouTube. I didnt have any of that growing up, I use it now as a grown up but it doesn’t run my life...

Comment

Working...
                              X