Saltwater boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL Yes we can do that - would be fun!

I like how the Stilt hull has the modified tunnel aft, pushing water up into an elevated prop.

I'm running an old school 10 degree dead rise on my transom, so I have to trim up the jack plate and adjust engine angle to run 7 inches or so. And this slows me down in super super skinny water. Once I get about 10 inches or so, I can run normally with up trim - jack and engine.

From a pure floating perspective - it's 6.5 to 7 inches free float on the flats.

With the engine out of the water, she spins on a dime and drifts broadside.

With the engine skeg touching the water, it rudders the stern solidly and she drifts straight down wind, stern into the wind, bow dead down wind. A silent trolling motor of sorts and I can steer it left and right riding the wind.

So I typically use a lot of up wind setups when I fish real skinny, less work and still cover miles of water. Most days I'm drifting more than running which is the beauty about the Laguna. Set a fetch and go - hitting the power pole as necessary to cover and hold when I'm fishing alone.

With someone else in the boat, pole and trolling motor come into play.

I'm using a belt worn push pole clip belt on the tower. I'll find a photo to show you. It lets me drop the pole attached to my belt and go hands free.
    Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Florida Back Country "POLEMATE"

Comment

I've owned a whole bunch of bay boats over the years. Everything from a poling skiff to V hulls. One thing you gotta know, ain't a one of them perfect. Every single boat has tradeoffs.

I have a 24' Boatright now and it's just a fishing machine. It's simple, tough, easy to care for and it just catches fish. But it isn't the best for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtestamentman View Post
          STILT

Now Available in Standard console and steering,
          and the new Tiller configuration!

Representing an altogether new concept in poling skiffs, the Stilt has made history for its sleek, artistic design, and its unparalleled performance as a technical poling skiff.

The Stilt is now available in a Tiller configuration, which offers an array of features unavailable in other tiller designs, including;

Stilt w tiller steer

•3rd person carrying capacity
          •Ultra shallow running draft
          •Seakeeping
          •Self bailing cockpit
          •Built-in welded aluminum fuel tank
          •Really dry dry storage
          •Full length rod tubes

"The Stilt is the closest thing to perfection in a poling skiff that I have ever experienced. I am truly fortunate to have one, because it has taken my guiding and my angling to a new level."
          -- Capt. Scott Sparrow

Specifications

Length–––––––––––––––––––––– 20' 2"
          Beam––––––––––––––––––––––– 5' 2"
          Fuel Capacity––––––––––––––––– 16 gallons
          Maximum HP––––––––––––––––– 70
          Approx. Hull Wt.––––––––––––––– 490 lbs
          Draft and full fuel (at rest)––––––––– 4-6"
          Warranty Term–––––––––––––––– 5 years

See Stilt Design Features
          See Stilt Slideshow
          See Stilt Movie!

2015 NewWater Stilt, technical poling skiff.
          That boat is just **** sexy as hell!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
            I'm cutting my teeth on a 21' Flats Cat right now

Preparing for some coastal duck hunting and adding to the WORP fleet

Just had the front rack built. 65qt fish and duck cooler, casting platform, and LED bar placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who built that cooler rack for you?

And how do you like the boat? I'm about 99% sure I'll be buy a 21' flatscat in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
              Who built that cooler rack for you?

And how do you like the boat? I'm about 99% sure I'll be buy a 21' flatscat in the next couple weeks.

K&J Marine in Spring on FM2920
              281-350-1950
              Glenn Vann is the owner. Tell him I said hello

I just had them put LED cubes on both sides of the cooler, added mount for Yeti tiedown on it too. Also had them put a back rest on the leaning post

I had it down in Matagorda last weekend, it did well but we weren't successful in the catching department

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                K&J Marine in Spring on FM2920
                281-350-1950
                Glenn Vann is the owner. Tell him I said hello

I just had them put LED cubes on both sides of the cooler, added mount for Yeti tiedown on it too. Also had them put a back rest on the leaning post

I had it down in Matagorda last weekend, it did well but we weren't successful in the catching department

Awesome! How much did it run ya if you don't mind my asking.

Awesome! I'll be fishing gorda Saturday in my buddies gulf coast.. probably fishing west bay south shoreline

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                  Awesome! How much did it run ya if you don't mind my asking.

Awesome! I'll be fishing gorda Saturday in my buddies gulf coast.. probably fishing west bay south shoreline

It's been close to 6 months so I really don't remember, probably 7-900 including the Phashlight LED and running the wiring to the console.

Years ago he did a raised deck and other work on a flats cat for my brother so I know he understands the boat.

Comment

Old pic, but the boats still the same. 21' Shallowsport.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I run the old style v hull Shoalwater tunnel and love it. Eats up chop in rough water and gets me where I need to fish. Not as shallow running as some of the above does the job.

Comment

18" alumacraft mod V hull with a pocket tunnel. Thinking about selling it since I don't get to use is as much as I want. Really low hours on the yami. But she will get super shallow.

Comment

I have a 21' RFL (getting new paint, console, upholstery as we speak) and a 23' Shoalwater Cat. The RFL is almost 20 years old but was repowered with a new Yamaha 4 stroke 5 years ago. It is a great boat for certain applications thus I have decided not to part with it. My boys and 10 and 12 and will be running the bays in a few years. It will be a great boat for them since its almost impossible to tear one up.

The 23' Shoalwater Cat wont go near as skinny but its got a great ride. Contrary to what some have said on here, it is a very dry boat and I run in some pretty good chop in West Matagorda Bay and San Antonio Bay. Figure out what bay complex you will fish the most and what type of fishing you like to do before you choose what make/model boat you want.

Comment

my vote is for bluewave purebay says they can get into 12" of water

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                              18" alumacraft mod V hull with a pocket tunnel. Thinking about selling it since I don't get to use is as much as I want. Really low hours on the yami. But she will get super shallow.

Almost what I have minus the tunnel. Mines older though. Will run in less than a foot on plane .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post

Price??

Comment

Working...
                                X