X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observations On Pigs

There are three things I have become completely convinced on about pigs:

(1) They are smarter than deer by far.

(2) They have better ears/hearing than deer by far.

(3) They have better noses, and pick up scent/smells better than deer by far.

And, for a #4 - I am about 90% convinced, that pigs eyesight is better than deer (by far) at distances of around 40 yards & closer.

Rick

Ummmm.... yes sir absolutely...

Comment

Agreed On first three.
      What amazes me is how far they will travel and or relocate for food.

Comment

Number 5, they eat more deer corn than deer by far

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
          Agreed On first three.
          What amazes me is how far they will travel and or relocate for food.
          Their one (and only I have seen) fallacy is, their inability to deny their belly, although I have even noticed them doing that to some degree.

They definitely seem to be evolving.

Fun critters to hunt from the ground. Deer are easy by comparison.

Rick

Comment

Yep...
            I’m not so sure about them being able to see better than deer though. I’ve never been able to walk within 30 yards of deer without having them pick me up

Comment

Yeah I agree on those but not the sight part at least in my experience.

Comment

My pigs will walk past corn some days and others they won’t. They have been pressured by neighbors and are had to find anymore. I’m out here at 1045 trying and have seen one pig that would t even slow down for sour corn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When a deer picks me off, it's generally from seeing me move from a distance, but up close on them, and I get away with a lot.

Pigs on the other hand never notice me, unless they are inside 40 yards, then I swear, they can see my eyes blink from behind me.

Like I said, I'm only 90% convinced, but I've been testing it, and I get away with a lot more on deer, than I do with pigs.

I love hunting them. Love sneaking around trying to set an ambush where I think they will be traveling by. It's actually proven (for me) to be much more challenging than doing the same for deer, and way more exciting.

Rick

Comment

You keep sitting out there and not shooting stuff I’m going to think you’ve gone tree hugger or feral [emoji23]

Comment

Pigs are funny. I’ve had males bust out from the woods and start snorting like they own the place. Other times, I’ve seen mothers let their piglets eat corn out of my feeder and wait to see if the piglets get killed...and then they slink out. My property is just for play...which means I love having hogs around to kill.

For some reason, corn is stacking up around my feeder. I don’t think it’s been touched for 4-5 days. No deer, no pigs...it’s weird, never seen this in 8 years.

Comment

I don't quite agree with #4. Mature pigs that have been hunted are smart.
                        Small pigs are hungry.
                        But I've shot pigs at 5 yards kneeling by a 6" diameter tree when they passed by me. Or see me draw, look at me for 15 seconds then keep feeding.
                        But 1 through 3 there's no doubt.
                        The biggest thing I know about pigs is that I enjoy hunting them.

Gary

Comment

Just don’t shoot them in the guts! In the butt is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                            You keep sitting out there and not shooting stuff I’m going to think you’ve gone tree hugger or feral [emoji23]

LOL - Between the restrictions placed on me by the MIL, and my own personal restrictions, it makes it tough to kill a lot of critters, but it's never boring.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              Just don’t shoot them in the guts! In the butt is ok.
                              Unnecessary.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X