Catching Coyotes with Snares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching Coyotes with Snares

Do you guys have any tips or tricks for setting snares under high fence for coyotes? We have set 4 or 5 where coyotes have dug underneath but the coyote either knocks it over or goes around it. I will set rocks or logs so that they are directed to the snare loop but still no coyotes. I've heard of people putting brush in front of it so the coyote has to push through but wasn't sure if this was good to do or not. I would love to hear what tips and tricks you have. Thanks!

I'm interested in answers too.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      Do you guys have any tips or tricks for setting snares under high fence for coyotes? We have set 4 or 5 where coyotes have dug underneath but the coyote either knocks it over or goes around it. I will set rocks or logs so that they are directed to the snare loop but still no coyotes. I've heard of people putting brush in front of it so the coyote has to push through but wasn't sure if this was good to do or not. I would love to hear what tips and tricks you have. Thanks!
      It may not be yotes knocking them aside....a lot of times it is coons doing that. I do just what you do and usually snare about 20 per year with about 75% of that coming in the next month or so. When they knock them aside, keep resetting them. How big a loop do you make? I try for a roughly 8” by 8” loop.

Comment

8 inch loop. In most fence slides your not going to get more than an inch or two from the ground. Use some wire clips to support the snare. A nice round loop with a little bit of preloading will catch about anything that enters the loop.

Comment

Are you boiling the snares and dying them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            8 inch loop. In most fence slides your not going to get more than an inch or two from the ground. Use some wire clips to support the snare. A nice round loop with a little bit of preloading will catch about anything that enters the loop.
            If you don’t have wire clips, you can use Bobby pins.

Comment

No, I haven’t boiled or dyed the snares. I hang the snares off of a wire that is wrapped around the fence and holds it in place. Do you guys have pictures on how you hang your snares or wire clips you use? I try to set mine up similar to the video shown below:
              [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkq4z9ZkrA"]Modifying and Setting Snares For Predator Trapping: "Loaded" - The Management Advantage - YouTube[/ame]
              We haven’t caught any coyotes at this point but can only check them or reset them when we are out there.

Comment

In to learn going out this weekend to get rid of a few

Comment

There’s a ton of stuff on YouTube. Look at loading snares.

Comment

I see some people spray paint them to help hide the shiny wire. Just wasn’t sure if boiling, dyeing, painting, etc. was necessary or not.

Comment

This one caught the 1st night. Large loop due to the large hole, caught him by the hips
                      I make wire clips out of some super fine wire I keep on the truck.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TP3; 01-06-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                        I see some people spray paint them to help hide the shiny wire. Just wasn’t sure if boiling, dyeing, painting, etc. was necessary or not.
                        It’s not. You can actually weaken the cable with baking soda if your not careful

Comment

There’s a ton of stuff on YouTube. Look at loading snares.
                          I’ve watched a lot of the “loading snares” videos and make sure “load” them as best as possible to ensure they throw as quickly as possible. I just wasn’t sure or not if anyone had any pics of their set ups. I posted some pics of the sets ups I made on our Gleaton’s Chip Ranch thread around mid December. I wasn’t sure if you can tell by looking at those set ups if I did something wrong or if there is anything I can do differently. Thanks again!

Comment

It’s not. You can actually weaken the cable with baking soda if your not careful
                            Thanks for your input!

Comment

The worst thing you can do is wise em up. My advise is to call around to the local feed stores or the county extension agent and hire an experienced trapper. They can get you on the right track, if you want to do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X