Running Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Help!

So I started preparing for a half in February last few months but lately my ankle is starting give out. Should I just tape it or get a brace? I just don’t want it to affect my stride. I’m at a good time for a beginner so I don’t want to have to retrain myself to run differently if I don’t have to. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to a specialty running shoe store and get fit for shoes that match your foot and stride.

Comment

I’m no personal trainer but something to consider is how much mileage you are putting your body through if it isn’t prepared yet. There is much more to building up mileage and speed than strictly cardio endurance. The ligaments and tendons in stabilizer joints such as ankles, knees and hips need to strengthen to handle the extra excursion.
      I injured my ITB running a full marathon on the beach because I didn’t build my mileage appropriately. My cardio and endurance felt great but by about 16 miles my knee started bugging me, I “powered through” to finish and paid for it for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Go to a specialty running shoe store and get fit for shoes that match your foot and stride.

Yea I went to one that’s why got these brooks but I think I’m going to a different one. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          I’m no personal trainer but something to consider is how much mileage you are putting your body through if it isn’t prepared yet. There is much more to building up mileage and speed than strictly cardio endurance. The ligaments and tendons in stabilizer joints such as ankles, knees and hips need to strengthen to handle the extra excursion.
          I injured my ITB running a full marathon on the beach because I didn’t build my mileage appropriately. My cardio and endurance felt great but by about 16 miles my knee started bugging me, I “powered through” to finish and paid for it for over a year.

Yea I have been using the 5k app to help build my endurance and started slow cause of my knees and trying to correct my turn out. But maybe I’m over compensating somewhere.

Comment

I would check out Brooks and or Hokas. We own both.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post

You left out bone density.

Takes about a year to build the bone density, ligaments, and tendons up due to being non soft tissue, like muscle tissue is. I've seen lots of new runners injure them selves from trying to build to fast. Keep it in the 5k-5 mile range during the first year. And injury risk is greatly reduced from there on out.

Also, having worked with a few ultra Runners, shoes only last 200-400 miles before they are worn out. Heat, cold, and various other factors will make a shoe break down. Whenever any part of my mechanics began to ache, I ordered a new set of shoes.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Questions, I have a few..

How long have you been running?

You mentioned turnout, Which Brooks are you wearing or trying ? Adrenaline(corrective shoe)? How many miles do you have on them?

Brooks is a great company, I have worked with them in past at a few of the bigger races and have also done product testing for them, pretty cool when you get shoes to test, send back and do a report..

Where are you running/training, if your on concrete or the road, get off of it and run/train on one of the many crushed stone trails that can be found.

New runners most often get injured by over training.

I have a 50k Ultra coming up in 10 days..
                Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                  Questions, I have a few..

How long have you been running?

You mentioned turnout, Which Brooks are you wearing or trying ? Adrenaline? How many miles do you have on them?

Where are you running/training, if your on concrete or the road, get off of it and run/train on one of the many crushed stone trails that can be found.

New runners most often get injured by over training.

I have a 50k Ultra coming up in 10 days..

You've sure come a long way Dale! Keep at it brother!

Comment

5mts ish

And no the launch they have about 160 miles and yes side walks and streets. I need to find a good trail but for now the neighborhood is what I got. The shoes are great it’s just the one ankle that’s starting to wig out.

Comment

Omg to doing a 50k! I can barely wrap my head around doing a half.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHoney View Post
                        5mts ish

And no the launch they have about 160 miles and yes side walks and streets. I need to find a good trail but for now the neighborhood is what I got. The shoes are great it’s just the one ankle that’s starting to wig out.

The "Launch" is one of my favorite out of the Brooks Lineup and is my go to for being a fast light shoe and as close to a racing Flat as you can get without going full on Racing Flat.

5 months is a great start as long as you are not overdoing distance or speed , always pick QUALITY over quantity, very high quality shorter 4 to 7 mile runs will produce very good results if done correctly. Keep your heart rate in check and for a new running concentrate on base building and staying in heart rate zones 2/3 under 147. Only do speed work 1 day a week as a beginner and really really take the time to dynamic stretch(look it up) BEFORE you run and static stretches after you run. Try to Incorporate one day for core work and Yoga is a awesome way to get that and gain mobility.

Are you running the RNR SA Half by chance?

If you are when you do packet pickup go the Brooks entry location that will be right after you do packet pickup, they will have a treadmill and someone there by it, go and speak with them, they can do a gait analysis and really narrow down the proper shoe that would be perfect for you.

ANDDDD ask for whomever is in charge there at the Brooks location, and ask f you can volunteer to help at the Brooks booths...if you can get in on that for just a single day you will get 2 vouchers for free sets of shoes..
                        Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 01-01-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Could be a few things.

I would start with some ankle strengthening exercises with a band along with some lower leg weight workouts (calf raises with low weight, high reps).

Your body could be out of alignment if one ankle is only being affected. Not sure of your past medical history/injury/age, but sometimes one or more of those can be a contributing factor.

Get lots of sleep for repair. Most people think more training is better and neglect sleep.

As far as tape or brace, that's a personal preference. If you have someone that knows how to tape (or maybe you do), that can be sufficient. Lots of good braces out there as well, but make sure you try it out several times before competing in it.

Good luck.

Comment

Since you’re in SA, I’d suggest Doc Brooke with Airrosti over in Stone Oak. Been seeing her for a while and she keeps putting me back together when I screw things up.

Comment

BCAAs will help heal, you need to run on asphalt not sidewalks or run on folks grass where you can, i run a 5k a every day of the week. knee pain use to be daily not any more with bcaa's.

Comment

Working...
                              X