Any guys that own a cnc shop on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any guys that own a cnc shop on here?

Long story short, I’ve got a venture of making and selling fly rods. Looking to get into fly reels, since we will already be in stores selling fly rods. My investors think it would be a good idea to find a cnc machine shop owner to be a partner. Might be a good fit for an oil field machine shop to stay busy during the slow times.

Figured I would look on a couple outdoor forums before I hit the streets to look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil field machine shop is going to be geared to machine a lot larger pieces, completely different tooling and machines.

Finding someone with a small machine like a Tormach 440, or something along those lines. I have been looking at buying one or two of these, to build small parts.

Comment

You might be right! I don’t know enough about mills to know what we would need for a project like that.

Comment

I have a small shop, Plantersville/Magnolia/Navasota area. My lathes are probably too big, but mill is suited for the smaller stuff. My brother also has a shop outside of Anderson with smaller lathes.

He likes the high production type stuff, I can do it but not really geared for it.

Comment

From my experience, your going to have a hard time finding even a small job shop to do anything for you small scale. If you have several hundred parts you need then your probably good to go. But you will have to cover engineering and prints and all the materials as well. Ran small lathes and mills for a small shop for 5 years. I'm in an engineering department now ( different company). Good luck and I really hope you can find someone to help you out. You are definitely looking in the right place for good people just not many real machinist left.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger92 View Post
            From my experience, your going to have a hard time finding even a small job shop to do anything for you small scale. If you have several hundred parts you need then your probably good to go. But you will have to cover engineering and prints and all the materials as well. Ran small lathes and mills for a small shop for 5 years. I'm in an engineering department now ( different company). Good luck and I really hope you can find someone to help you out. You are definitely looking in the right place for good people just not many real machinist left.

I appreciate it. I think the goal would be several hundred at a time for sure!

Since we don’t have a milk we don’t know what machine time cost. But we have a feeling there are still decent margins to be made in fly reels.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
              X