Found something kind of interesting in WOC WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found something kind of interesting in WOC WMA

So I went on my drawn hunt to White Oak Creek WMA. Interesting place, definitely not the easiest place to hunt, but there are definitely some nice deer up there.

So After sitting on my ladder stand most of the day Wednesday and Thursday, I decided I would take a walk Friday morning to see what I could see and hopefully find some pigs or maybe a buck. I figured I had a much better chance with finding pigs. So I was out walking around, finding interesting stuff. Then found a tree stand up in a tree. After looking at it for a short time, it was obvious someone had left it there years ago. Then the more I looked at it, the more it looked like the person who put it up in the tree, likely fell off of that sketchy ladder and broke bones or died. There was only one ratchet strap holding the ladder or climbing sticks to the tree, near the bottom. Then There was another ratchet strap laying in the leaves directly below the ladder.

The ladder was definitely home made, I noticed that at least one step on the ladder, did not have any weld, where the lower part of the flat bar attaches to the pipe. So it had to flex or bend whey you step on that step. But they for some odd reason, welded another piece of metal below where they did not weld the bottom of the step to the pipe. Looked like some rigging done, after consuming some alcohol or something else.

But the guy obviously made it to the top of the ladder at least once, to attach the stand to the tree. That had to be one scary climb up there with that ladder swinging, swaying and pulling away from the tree. If you look at the pictures of the tree stand it's self, you can see the tree has mostly grown over the chain, attaching the stand to the tree. The tree has obviously gotten larger in diameter since the stand was hung on the tree. With the tree growing, it has pushed the stand outwards, causing it to tilt upwards. Would be interesting to find out what the story of that ladder stand is. I dang sure would not climb up there on that ladder to check out the view.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Looks like it was thrown together. Probably a kids setup.

The busted strap doesn’t mean they fell. Squirrels will chew through them if you leave out long enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
      Looks like it was thrown together. Probably a kids setup.

The busted strap doesn’t mean they fell. Squirrels will chew through them if you leave out long enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I never checked to see if the other strap was busted, I just assumed he never got the other strap attached before he fell off of it. I guess if I ever go back, I could check to see if the strap was busted. Looking at the pictures again, a while ago. I noticed that the one strap that is on the tree, looks like it's about to break. So maybe the other strap did break. I never dug the one in the leaves out to see if it was busted. Seeing there was another section of the ladder there, and the other strap on the ground, I assumed someone never finished what they were doing.

Comment

On the step where I drew the arrows, the bottom of that step has no weld on it at all. Why they welded that piece below that step and did not weld the step, really baffles me. I did not look the rest of the steps over thoroughly, to see if the rest were completely welded. I just looked at that one step, because they had that extra piece welded on below the step. Really had me scratching my head.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

"Back in the Day" I have hunted out of much worse and that is definitely some junk...

Comment

That step looks like it's in the middle of the pipe joint where it's put together when he got it all out there.

Comment

I think Bowhuntingobsession hit the nail on the head. It actually makes sense the way he built the ladder.

Comment

Yea, I see it now. I guess he just put the pieces together and started welding on steps. Should have thought that one out a little better, before he started welding the steps on.

I am guessing that was likely put up, there in the 90s. He used ratchet straps, the style of ladder or climbing sticks he made, and the stand it's self and then the use of a chain to hold it to a tree. I would think sometime in the 90s or early 2000s. I would also think that's about how long it would take for the tree to grow over the chain, to the degree it has.

Comment

Working...
                X