Breakfast on a cool morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast on a cool morning

I have talked about making breakfast a few times. I am pretty sure multiple people stick their noses up at my breakfast. So I figured I would give a little info. It's pretty good stuff. I grew up around Corpus area, back in the 70s and 80s. My step father at one point owned a automotive A/C shop sold emergency lights, sirens ect. There are some good stories associated with that deal. But one of the guys that worked for my step father was a pretty good guy, Garry Graham from Orange Grove. He later was the police chief out there. Every morning, he would make a taco run. In some Mexican neighborhood in Corpus, I don't remember what area, I think maybe off of Gollihar Rd. maybe. I know it was somewhere off of Crosstown. But there were a couple who had a small wooden building built facing towards a alley behind their house, they served tacos out of that little wooden building or shack. That's where I discovered chorizo and egg tacos. Been a addict ever since, at least if it's good chorizo.

My wife is from Oregon, so chorizo and egg tacos were something she looked at me like I was crazy, when I told her I was going to make that for breakfast one time many years ago. She likes Mexica food, but at that point, she had only had the basic common stuff. I have introduced her to much more traditional TexMex. She likes the stuff as much as I do, but getting her to try some stuff, took some effort.

So I figured I would tell people how I cook chorizo y juevos tacos.

For starters, the only store bought chorizo I have found, that I like is Chorizo De San Manuel, beef chorizo, from HEB. I have tried the pork chorizo, even from the same company, not fond of it, it works, but the beef is definitely better. I am sure that you can get some better stuff from one of the Mexica meat markets, but this stuff works for me.

The the tortillas I have found that I like the best, since I can't get my Orgonian wife to make tortillas, is Mi Tienda HEB brand tortillas. They are raw, they are in the refrigerated section at HEB, with the cookie dough. You just toss them on the grille, pan or griddle and cook them till they are as done as you like. They are pretty good.

So how I do breakfast or chorizo and eggs. I take half a link of the chorizo, cut it out of the plastic, I already have the griddle heated up. Then using a spatula, I break up the chorizo. Let it cook for a few minutes, you can see it change color. I guess you would say it melts, as the grease gets hot. I probably cook it for three to five minutes. On the griddle, I will push the chorizo around the griddle to spread the grease out. To get rid of some of the grease. If you just cook it in a pan, cook it till basically done. Then I dump the chorizo out of the pan, on some paper towels to get rid of some of the grease. Then put it back in the pan and add the eggs. Or else you may have a heart attack before lunch. On the griddle, I spread the chorizo around to get rid of some of the grease, and to grease up the griddle and it adds flavor to the tortillas when you cook them later. You don't need any cooking oi or anything else on the griddle or pan, depending on how you are cooking it. It will produce plenty of grease.

So once you have cooked it for close to five minutes, got a good bit of the grease out of the chorizo, by pushing it around the griddle. Then I add four large eggs, to the half link. Then add salt and pepper. Then scramble them together, till the eggs are done. I always cook everything on high heat. Our Blue Rhino griddle, gets much hotter on the right end, than the left end. It' is designed to do that. I cook the chorizo and eggs right in the middle of the griddle. Basically I adjust heat, by where I place things on the griddle.

So once the chorizo and eggs are done, I then move them to the coolest area of the griddle, on our griddle that is the left front corner. That keeps the mix warm, without cooking it much more. Then I pull out about eight tortillas and toss them on the griddle. The ones on the right end will cook much faster than the ones on the left end of the griddle. I have to flip the two or three to the right end quickly, then as they are done, I put them on the far left end of the griddle and move the rest of the tortillas to the right. As they get done, they get moved to the left side of the griddle. Once you get the whole process down, it will only take about ten minutes from start to finish for everything. On colder, cooler, windy days like today, the griddle will get air cooled, so it will take longer to cook.

As for the eight tortillas, usually at least two tortillas get eaten by them selves. But the half link of chorizo and the four eggs, will usually make enough for about six tacos. Sometimes, if I feel like eating a tortilla while I am cooking I will cook nine tortillas. I know my wife will want at least one half of a tortilla, sometimes, she later wants a second half.

I am sure there is some better chorizo out there, and I know some fresh home made tortillas can be a lot better than these tortillas, but having an Orgonian wife, these are the best I get. Maybe someday my wife will learn to make tortillas or maybe I will. A friend of ours offered to teach my wife how to make them. I bring up the subject every once in a while, that she should got talk to her and learn how to make tortillas. She just says, she can't make tortillas, she tried once, years ago. Kind of hard to describe, but they were not tortillas, they were something, not sure what.

So this ain't the best possible chorizo and egg tacos, but for a white boy who has a short list of things he can cook, they are pretty dang good.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Try the Esquezita tortillas next. Coming from someone who makes his own from scratch, the Esquezita are pretty close to homemade.
    San Manuel does make the best store bought chorizo, however, you are getting rid of the good stuff by removing the grease lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Let me know when breakfast is ready. Looks really good. My wife and I love migas... Whenever there are leftover tortilla chips that's what we make. Just the other day I made migas with leftover rice, beans and chips from the previous nights fajitas. Migas is also very good in a tortilla. I love Mexican food, but unfortunately, I live in Fort Worth. Mexican food gets good around Austin and gets better the further you go south.

Comment

Chorizo is some good stuff. Have you tried the Kiolbassa Chorizo? I personally think that it is the best. It has less grease than most. I can get it at HEB. You should also try the cured Bacon.

We use only the finest cuts of meats and the freshest spices. We slow-craft our meats in small batches, then it’s smoked over hardwood.

Comment

Looks good to me. We have it when we go Javelin hunting in S. TX.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
            Try the Esquezita tortillas next. Coming from someone who makes his own from scratch, the Esquezita are pretty close to homemade.
            San Manuel does make the best store bought chorizo, however, you are getting rid of the good stuff by removing the grease lol.

I have found the more grease I leave, the more flavor, but the times years ago I did not drain off some grease, I could feel arteries getting plugged and my stomach was a bit upset. One of the advantages of the griddle, I can control how much grease I remove by how much I move the chorizo around.

I will check on those tortillas, I don't think I have seen those yet. So where do you get them from?

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
              Chorizo is some good stuff. Have you tried the Kiolbassa Chorizo? I personally think that it is the best. It has less grease than most. I can get it at HEB. You should also try the cured Bacon.

https://kiolbassa.com/product-category/products/
              I don't think I have tried the Kiolbassa stuff yet, we regularly get other types of Kiolbassa Sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                I have found the more grease I leave, the more flavor, but the times years ago I did not drain off some grease, I could feel arteries getting plugged and my stomach was a bit upset. One of the advantages of the griddle, I can control how much grease I remove by how much I move the chorizo around.

I will check on those tortillas, I don't think I have seen those yet. So where do you get them from?
                HEB has them also. I agree with the grease. But it's so good lol
                Have you ever had machacado a la Mexicana?
                Made some for my buddies during the morning hunt for the Teal opener and am no longer allowed in hunts unless I cook more up lol

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  Let me know when breakfast is ready. Looks really good. My wife and I love migas... Whenever there are leftover tortilla chips that's what we make. Just the other day I made migas with leftover rice, beans and chips from the previous nights fajitas. Migas is also very good in a tortilla. I love Mexican food, but unfortunately, I live in Fort Worth. Mexican food gets good around Austin and gets better the further you go south.
                  That sounds good, we will have to try that soon. If you think Mexican food in Fort Worth is bad, try Oregon Mexican food. We went to Tillamook and Hebo areas some years back, that's the area my wife is from. We saw a Mexican food restaurant, my thoughts were not worth trying. But my wife decided we should try it, how often do you get to eat Oregon Mexican food? Was her thinking. Yea, we should have passed. If you ever go up there, they use cabbage instead of lettuce. It's very strange, wound not recommend it. It was like bad Taco Bell food.

Comment

HEB has them also. I agree with the grease. But it's so good lol
                    Have you ever had machacado a la Mexicana?
                    Made some for my buddies during the morning hunt for the Teal opener and am no longer allowed in hunts unless I cook more up lol

No, never heard of it.

Comment

Well now I want chorizo and egg tacos for breakfast

Don't have a clue where to get any good ones either

One of the girls that works at the hospital brought me a couple her mother made once and they were delicious

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        No, never heard of it.
                        I use onion, serano pepper, roma tomatoe, shredded jerky and eggs. Poetry much follow this recipe

Comment

I use onion, serano pepper, roma tomatoe, shredded jerky and eggs. Poetry much follow this recipe

Ok, thanks, I will give it a try.

Comment

Chorizo and eggs tacos caused me to gain 20lbs.

Dang, I'm coming up on a year since I've had one.

Comment

My wife is also from corpus in that time frame, she uses chorizo in a lot of dishes, not just eggs.

Comment

Working...
                              X