Using Ackley dies on non AI cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m thinking I can use a 7mm-08 AI to neck size only a 7mm-08 Rem case and then use the AI seating die to load rounds just for fireforming.

Am I correct on this thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The die will more than likely form the bottom of the case to sammi specs and push the shoulder junction forward. The AI die will not touch the shoulder therefore making your case too long to chamber in your rifle. You may get away with it once but I would expect you’ll run into issues closing the bolt.

Comment

Help me understand, you bought a 7-08AI and dies but have 7-08 brass that you are trying to load to fireform the brass?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        Help me understand, you bought a 7-08AI and dies but have 7-08 brass that you are trying to load to fireform the brass?

Sierracharlie out…

Correct, but the 7-08 brass is new brass. All I need to do is size the neck and stick a bullet in it.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          Correct, but the 7-08 brass is new brass. All I need to do is size the neck and stick a bullet in it.

Got ya. I’d consider an expander mandrel and holder from 21st century or K&M so you can get a specific neck tension straight out of new brass. Then seat using your AI die.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            Got ya. I’d consider an expander mandrel and holder from 21st century or K&M so you can get a specific neck tension straight out of new brass. Then seat using your AI die.

Sierracharlie out…

But will it work the way I’m thinking? I’m not worried about neck tension with this part since I’m just fire forming. Afterwards once I have all my brass formed then it’s something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              But will it work the way I’m thinking? I’m not worried about neck tension with this part since I’m just fire forming. Afterwards once I have all my brass formed then it’s something to consider.

Not positive in the neck sizing honestly due to the change in shoulder angle but the seater die should have enough adjustment in it to seat the bullets without crushing the shoulder or any obscure effects.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you’re just fireforming and the brass will chamber, just run the expander ball on the die through the neck to round it out (if there is one), seat a bullet and shoot it. The expander on the die should be a thou or two less than bullet diameter allowing enough neck tension to shoot unless your jamming your bullet but I’d assume you’re not. If no expander then we’ll need plan b so you may have to cream of wheat them bitches
                Last edited by kck; 08-02-2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Your AI dies if properly made should have a crush fit on the shoulder to snug the standard brass up in the chamber...run the standard brass through your AI dies as you normally would and seat the bullet out till you can see marks on the bullet just in case the crush fit isn't snug. The marks should be at least 1/2 as long as they are wide & even square is ok.

FF loads should be a moderate starter load.

Comment

It works. I do the same thing forming 30-06 brass to 280AI.

I size with AI dies but then I hydro-form instead of fire forming.

Comment

Thats how I have done all of my 26-06 AI brass. I used the AI dies to fireform 25-06 brass. No problems so far

Comment

Working...
                      X