How to Kill a Lot of…?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Kill a Lot of…?

Skunks. I need y’all’s advice/opinions. I’m hunting in a very suburban area and have a skunk problem. For example, I shot 7 tonite with my bow (man they smell bad) and missed 3 others. That was in about a 1/4 mile drive from stand to truck. The place is loaded and the landowner wants em gone. Problem is the suburban thing. Besides the bow, what can I do? Keeping the suburban thing in mind…

No, I ain’t gonna trap them.

Air rifle?

Comment

Leave immediately and get your $69 back!

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
        Baaaaahaahahaahahahahahhahaah!

Air rifle? Hmmmmm… I like it

Comment

.22 cal air rifle but trapping them is pretty easy

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
            .22 cal air rifle but trapping them is pretty easy
            Ok so I trap them…and then what? I’d rather shoot em on sight and drive off.

Comment

Air rifle is best. Quiet, cheap, hopefully no spray. Take a pic of each one for landowner.

Comment

Full moon tonight.
                Doubt you’ll see that many normally.

I have a bunch in the panhandle.
                I use the CCI pest load .22’s

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Skunks. I need y’all’s advice/opinions. I’m hunting in a very suburban area and have a skunk problem. For example, I shot 7 tonite with my bow (man they smell bad) and missed 3 others. That was in about a 1/4 mile drive from stand to truck. The place is loaded and the landowner wants em gone. Problem is the suburban thing. Besides the bow, what can I do? Keeping the suburban thing in mind…

No, I ain’t gonna trap them.

Wow that is a ton of skunks!

Comment

There is a fly poison, that takes care of vermin. Golden something, but I don't remember.

Comment

What about making bait stations with cat food or leftovers? They'll eat pretty much anything including meat.

Since you can legally spotlight in Texas that's your best bet because they are primarily nocturnal animals. But if you can get them to come around in certain areas I think that'd be your best bet besides trapping. I don't know about the bow. You gotta get your arrows back and skunks stink. I'd go with a .17hmr and v-max ammo or something that's not going to ricochet since its in a more populated area or whatever. Even a .22lr has a tendency to ricochet more.

Comment

Golden Malrin

Comment

Another reason I would choose the .17hmr with frangible bullets is it's a flat shooting cartridge and very accurate. You can shoot a skunk at any angle whether it's going straight away from you or whatever and it'll kill it and even if it passes through only small pieces of the bullet will come out,hit the ground and that's it. That's why I like that cartridge for pest control around cattle and things like that. Because you never know where a ricochet will end up. I've never had a .17grain v-max hurt anything but dirt if I missed or the bullet passed through.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 09-19-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I used to kill a lot of them. Use cat food for bait, in a live trap. I would get some type of mesh, actually used camo netting, to hold the cat food. Basically make a bag out of the netting with the food in it. I would tie the bag of cat food to the trigger.

Tie a long rope to the cage, once you catch one, pop the skunk in the head, drag the trap to some place to dump the skunk The buzzards will take care of the skunk quickly, usually by mid day. You can use a pellet gun or 22 LR., after killing a lot of them. I found a shotgun kills them, where they won't spray, don't know why. Every one of them I shot with a 22 LR or pellet gun would spray a fountain up in the air, immediately after being shot, but not with the shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              Freakin awesome!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X