WWII ship models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII ship models

Any modelers out there? My dad served on the USS Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor.
    After it was damaged he was transferred to the USS Van Vaulkenburg. Several years ago I was able to find a 144 scale model, I’m probably wrong, of a Fletcher class destroyer. It cam out great. Then we became nomadic. The ship was boxed up in peanuts so hopefully it’s still good.
    Recently I’ve been looking for a intermediate level model of the USS Oklahoma. Have found some pre assembled but I’m looking for a do it yourself assembly. Does anyone have any leads on websites? And btw, for those of you that have the disposable time on your hand, I found that painting and assembling these models is very therapeutic. It makes me slow down and I think all of us could use a reduction in speed these days. Thanks for any leads

I did approximately 12-15 planes in my younger days, never attempted ships.

You are right, once I got started on one, I would stay up all night trimming, sanding, painting...

Comment

Built a lot of models when I was growing up. Cars, trucks, planes, ships, it didn't matter. For my fathers 70th birthday I gave him a kit of the ship he was on. He cruised the Pacific on the USS Pine Island. It was a sea plane tender. Pretty much an Uber for the admiral. He built it with his oldest grandson.
      Last edited by Goldeneagle; 06-01-2021, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Agree with all the above!

Comment

Built a few growing up myself. Fun and relaxing times. Good luck in your search

Comment

I did a lot of cars and planes when I was a kid. Do they even make them anymore?

Comment

I never had the patience probably still don't LOL. Funny how I can sit on a dock fishing, or in a hunting blind all day even if I am not seeing anything or catching anything so I have patience for some things I guess.

Comment

You’d be surprised how patient you can be. Now personally I’m not always that patient with our son, to my discredit. But the modeling slows me down. Even more so than reading. My wife asked me to retire at 63 to stay home with him. And truthfully, I couldn’t imagine life without him. But I wasn’t ready to retire folks. When you work all your life it’s hard to stop doing that. I wish I could find some type of side hustle the both of us could do. Anyway, got off track. Preciate yalls input. Maybe we’ll pick some more up later this afternoon.

Comment

I have probably built over 100 various models up until my late 20’s. Most were WWII 1/48 scale airplanes. Others varied from cars, ships, tanks and other military vehicles.

Comment

So your retired now Tvc. Did you get a craw full of it or probably didn’t have time for much with your previous schedule. Still hoping for some procurement leads on the Oklahoma.

Comment

Same story here built several model airplanes as a teen and college student, mostly WWII. Still have my stack of waiting to build's in my closet, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them yet. One of the few good memories with my dad was putting together models. I am hoping to get my kids into it one day, and see if they like it. It develops a lot of patience and is a big payoff when you finish one right.

As to your request, one good place to find models is Hobbylinc. https://www.hobbylinc.com/

You'll probably have to do some internet digging to find that particular ship.

Comment

It may be an Iowa class battleship. Need a Navy man to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          So your retired now Tvc. Did you get a craw full of it or probably didn’t have time for much with your previous schedule. Still hoping for some procurement leads on the Oklahoma.
                          Yep, Memorial Day was exactly 4 weeks retired.

Actually I never got tired of it and never reached a burn out. I kind of wish I could go back and do it all over again but in my 27-year-old body, not this 65 year old relic.

I will be 66 years old in January and I had to draw a line somewhere. Even though I loved my job, maybe more than most people in any profession, I did not want to work until I was 80 years old. Basically I walked away from work, not the profession.

I am sure that you have seen it but there is a model of the Oklahoma online for about $360. I was looking for one of the Lindenberg, Monagram, Tamiya type brands for about $30 but no luck. That expensive one looks great but it is for a basically expert only and requires a lot of work.

Comment

The hobbylinc that 4Christ posted above is a solid link saw lots of Tamiyas on the hobbylinc as well. I found out that the Oklahoma was a Nevada class battleship as well. And Tv, as long as your back and knees are in one piece your good. My back has gotten worse and I’ve gotten to a point where it’s getting harder to drive. Did an experiment . Got on the road headed to College Station and within 20 minutes my sciatic nerve hit me. That was while sitting on a pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              The hobbylinc that 4Christ posted above is a solid link saw lots of Tamiyas on the hobbylinc as well. I found out that the Oklahoma was a Nevada class battleship as well. And Tv, as long as your back and knees are in one piece your good. My back has gotten worse and I’ve gotten to a point where it’s getting harder to drive. Did an experiment . Got on the road headed to College Station and within 20 minutes my sciatic nerve hit me. That was while sitting on a pillow.
                              Knees are okay, especially considering the pounding I put on them in school and in the 10 years I spent on swat.

The back? Not so much but not in chronic pain like a lot of people. I have a pinched nerve somewhere in my back and have had for about 15 years or more. If I stand more than about 20 minutes or so my left leg will start to burn and there’s always some slight numbness in it. Sitting down relieves it within about five minutes. It has never progressed however so I’ve never messed with it. I guess now I have time to see if there something I could do without surgery unless it gets a lot worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X