Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
NWernig
Four Point

Hunt In: Here and there
Default James Daughtrey WMA

Got drawn for a Management hunt there for Dec 3-5 with a buddy. I have been going through and reading anything I can find about the place and hunting there since I have never been there. Sounds like it's going to be fun.

I appreciate all the threads and posts about it that people have posted, especially the one by 150class. I am open to any other pointers from people that have been there.

Anyone else going this year?
NWernig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
NWernig
Four Point

One question I have been wondering about:
I know that North Shore also checks in through Daughtrey, but which compartments are for which? Are the compartments around the WMA for the Daughtrey draw and the ones around the lake for Choke Canyon draws?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

My son got drawn there last year for a doe. There are a ton of deer there. Every kid shot a deer on that hunt. We were on the creek out on the NW side. They have blinds but you could put up your own if I remember right.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
samhuntstexas
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gillespie county

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernig View Post
I know that North Shore also checks in through Daughtrey, but which compartments are for which? Are the compartments around the WMA for the Daughtrey draw and the ones around the lake for Choke Canyon draws?
North Shore compartments are part of choke canyon state park. They are on the north east side of the lake just north of the dam.
samhuntstexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
The various compartments shown on the internet for the James Daughtrey maps are for the WMA hunts. The North Shore hunt has 4 separate compartments located north of the lake. They are accessed by actually driving across the dam. When I hunted it, you were able to call the JD office to check in/out after the original orientation. We only went back to the main office if something was shot and when we were done with the hunt. Not sure if it's the same. If not, its a pretty long drive back to the office every morning and evening.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Cypress Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

My son was drawn a few years back - I don't remember the compartment we had but we had about a 30 minute drive from the camp site. Lot's of deer, hogs and turkey where we were at. never a boring sit. we had animals everywhere.

It did rain when we were there which made for a long hike to the stand in the area we had. If you have 4x4 it'll make it a lot easier.

Best of luck and happy hunting.
Cypress Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default James Daughtrey WMA

Quote:

Green is the North Shore area.

Red Underlined is all the James D areas

150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
NWernig
Four Point

Great.... Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was just confused b/c of 10 people being drawn for 15 compartments.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
Cypress Hunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Hunter View Post
My son was drawn a few years back - I don't remember the compartment we had but we had about a 30 minute drive from the camp site. Lot's of deer, hogs and turkey where we were at. never a boring sit. we had animals everywhere.

It did rain when we were there which made for a long hike to the stand in the area we had. If you have 4x4 it'll make it a lot easier.

Best of luck and happy hunting.
looking at the map above we were in compartment 7. great area.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
NWernig
Four Point

Cypress Hunter..... good to hear that 7 was good... not one of my top choices because of size, but maybe I am thinking about it all wrong
Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
Cypress Hunter..... good to hear that 7 was good... not one of my top choices because of size, but maybe I am thinking about it all wrong
I've hunted Daughtrey several times and North Shore once with my kiddo. My first recommendation is DON'T OVERTHINK the compartment selection thing. Lots of deer and other game in all the compartments from my experience. About the only difference I've seen is that the closer you get to the water, the more hogs you see. Deer numbers are distributed fairly evenly. You will definitely enjoy this hunt and you will see animals.

The mgmt hunt is different because of the specific type of deer they want you to harvest. Some nice mgmt deer out there if you are patient. Buddy shot a very nice, 6.5 yr old 5-pointer. Staff was very happy with that deer. Best of luck.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
NWernig
Four Point

Winslowboy..... I am glad to hear that. I have a buddy that drew with me that is pretty new to hunting, so I really want him to have a great time. I was worried about drawing a dud compartment, but it sounds like that’s not really the case. He will be thrilled to get a doe, and a hog or buck would just be icing on the cake
Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

I hunted the management hunt at South Shore State Park last season. Saw plenty of deer, including a monster 10 that I had to sit and watch. Shot a doe.

As mentioned above, Sam, the hunt manager at JD, let me call/text him when I was finished with hunts unless I shot something.

I stayed in a cabin at Calliham State Park which allowed me to grill, enjoy a fire, etc.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
Cypress Hunter
Six Point

Old 10-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
Cypress Hunter
Six Point

Not the best picture but we had these two bucks in our area when we were drawn. Of course our hunt was spike and doe only.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Army of Dad
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

My daughter drew a youth management hunt. If you have a pop up bring it. The deer we saw seemed wary of the box blinds they had out. The blinds are pretty nice, but most of what we saw seemed to be well away from the blind on he sendero we were hunting.

I set and brushed in up a pop up closer to where we saw deer movement and we had a shot opportunity as a result (she missed a great buck, but thatís the breaks sometimes).

We were in compartment 10 I think, over on the north side of the lake. We did have some issue with duck hunters blazing away-maybe legally, maybe not. To avoid that a compartment nearer to the check station might be in order since some of them donít border the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
NWernig
Four Point

Cypress Hunter.... Nice deer. Hope to see a nice big 7. Thanks for the pic

Army of Dad..... I have been hearing that they are weary of the blinds. We are bringing pop-ups to use. I have been using HuntStand to see points that I want to look at for possible locations. Thanks
Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #18
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

Quote:

Army of Dad..... I have been hearing that they are weary of the blinds. We are bringing pop-ups to use. I have been using HuntStand to see points that I want to look at for possible locations. Thanks
I was in a pop up that TPWD staff put up a day or two before I hunted it. The same pop up was set up for a couple of days the week prior for that draw hunt (and taken down in the interim).

It wasn't brushed and after the first afternoon the deer weren't wary of it. In fact, the big 10 walked between my parked truck and the pop up like he owned the place (which he did).

I'd be surprised if the deer are too wary of the permanent blinds down there given the fact that they are sitting idle for 10 months out the the year.

Oh and I too was holding out for a big 7. I passed on a spike early, holding out for a 140 7. Didn't see a 7 at all. Should have taken the spike when I had the chance!

If you get a decent sized compartment with several senderos, I recommend that you strategically corn them so that you can stay mobile and walk to check them. I've done that in the past with my kids on youth hunts at Chap and Daughtrey and they were successful.

Last edited by Mule Skinner; 10-03-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #19
moondog
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties

I haven't been lucky enough to draw Daughtrey yet. Really want to hunt this one. I live about 25 mile from there and have been there several times (just not for the deer hunts). A very special place, with lots of nice bucks. I've spent a lot of time in the state park and on the lake. This is a great place. Like has already been mentioned, I don't think it matters which compartment you draw; they're all good.
Best of luck to those who got lucky and drew tags here.
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 05:55 AM   #20
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:

You should be okay with a pop up or tripod since that is one of the earlier hunts. Once the mgmt and kid hunts happen they start to become much more weary.

I wouldnít bother looking at locations yet because you have about 10-12 units you could be tossed in so itís pretty much a wash. As far as which unit I try to go with units I have already been in as half the battle is scouting and with a short time frame itís tough. That being said unless the biologist strongly suggest a certain unit Iíd go with 6, 9, or 14 since I have been in them before.

Take a tripod or pop up and update the thread with what unit you select so we can try and assist
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
sixwarden9
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Falls, Gillespie Co's

I spent time roaming around the Daughtrey 20 years ago for work. Amazing deer. Good luck.
sixwarden9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #22
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
You should be okay with a pop up or tripod since that is one of the earlier hunts. Once the mgmt and kid hunts happen they start to become much more weary.

I wouldnít bother looking at locations yet because you have about 10-12 units you could be tossed in so itís pretty much a wash. As far as which unit I try to go with units I have already been in as half the battle is scouting and with a short time frame itís tough. That being said unless the biologist strongly suggest a certain unit Iíd go with 6, 9, or 14 since I have been in them before.

Take a tripod or pop up and update the thread with what unit you select so we can try and assist
I should clarify. Once the Mgmt and Youth hunts are over the deer are much more weary come the Either Sex hunts
Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
NWernig
Four Point

150class.... I appreciate the input. Looking at the land is also something I have been doing for fun while killing time. I’m going to take a pop-up and set it up after a little bit of scouting. Plus, it seems like the people that work there are going to be pretty helpful in the advice department
Old 10-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #24
Vermin93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

I drew the either sex archery hunt in late Dec. I'm excited about the opportunity. I look forward to reading about your management hunt.
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #25
NWernig
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin93 View Post
I drew the either sex archery hunt in late Dec. I'm excited about the opportunity. I look forward to reading about your management hunt.
Vermin93.... I will definitely update and give any information I learn on this hunt. The count down has begun for me now that I have recovered from the Laguna bow hunt. 3 weeks and counting
Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #26
NWernig
Four Point

Packed up and heading out around lunch tomorrow. Going to have a relaxing night at Choke Canyon SP tomorrow night. I have been really looking forward to this hunt.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Good luck
BrokenJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #28
NWernig
Four Point

Got to Choke Canyon SP yesterday afternoon right before sunset. This place is really pretty and there are deer all over the place. Today is the day
Old 12-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #29
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Good luck
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #30
NWernig
Four Point

Thanks hoyt21 and BrokenJ.
Orientation at 11 and we will draw for compartments
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #31
NWernig
Four Point

Some pic from the SP
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #32
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Following along, good luck and don't forget pics for us!
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #33
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Following good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #34
Charrison
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Good luck boys and girls. Interested to hear how it goes. I'll be there at the end of this month looking for Mr. Big.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Following, good luck.
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #36
NWernig
Four Point

Name:  0C6A34EE-56A5-435E-B05D-BE5A388594C3.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  91.3 KBName:  0C6A34EE-56A5-435E-B05D-BE5A388594C3.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  91.3 KBIt was a fun day. Let a young spike walk- he was tiny. Saw a really nice 9 point 3 1/2 year that was probably a 130. He was cruising for doe.
A doe and a couple of hogs were shot that I know of.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #37
Charrison
Six Point

Which compartment are you in? Appreciate the updates!
Old 12-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #38
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Following
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #39
NWernig
Four Point

I was in compartment 4. Had to cut out a day early.
I shot a doe that dressed at 82 lbs this morning and 7 other does were shot also. A couple young spikes were taken but no good management bucks. We all were seeing great deer they just had more points than the management hunt allows or they were too narrow.
Everyone seemed to see some great 8, 9, & 10 pointers. Most were 3 year olds that were pushing the doe around but the does were not receptive- couple more weeks. A few people said they saw some mature ones.
The deer are already pretty smart about the stands and what they mean, so if was doing the trophy hunt I would setup away from the stands and somewhat off the main paths and senderos.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #40
Charrison
Six Point

Thanks again for the update. Congrats on putting some meat in the cooler!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #41
NWernig
Four Point

Also, Sam and Murray, the guys that work there are great! The are extremely helpful and friendly. They made me feel like I had been there and gave it that deer camp feeling.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #42
tellewis
Four Point

Definitely a "new guy" question but this is my first public hunt draw. I am headed to Daughtrey at the end of the month for archery only. When shooting a buck or doe on the WMA do you use your own buck/doe tags or does it work kind of like the MLD ranches with a separate tag system? I only ask because I was lucky enough to get a great buck with my bow earlier this season. Thanks!
tellewis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #43
79F250
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellewis View Post
Definitely a "new guy" question but this is my first public hunt draw. I am headed to Daughtrey at the end of the month for archery only. When shooting a buck or doe on the WMA do you use your own buck/doe tags or does it work kind of like the MLD ranches with a separate tag system? I only ask because I was lucky enough to get a great buck with my bow earlier this season. Thanks!

They provide your tags
79F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
tellewis
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F250 View Post
They provide your tags
You're the man! I figured that but wanted to ask. Thanks, boss!
Old 12-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #45
79F250
Ten Point

Yes sir good luck on your hunt
Old 12-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #46
tellewis
Four Point

Quote:
Yes sir good luck on your hunt
I'm going to try and do a thread of the experience. I spent years as an outdoors videographer and producing outdoors tv, so I normally self film my hunts when I can. I don't think I'm going to for this hunt since I don't know how pressured they are. Just going to focus on the hunt itself, but I'll be documenting everything I can and snapping pics in the blind/scouting. Hopefully I have some service.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #47
79F250
Ten Point

You can probably get some really good video out there of some big bucks
Old 12-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #48
tellewis
Four Point

Quote: