Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx
Default Everything stock tank/pond thread.

Nice summer time topic. Fixing to build one myself, be nice to get some ideas from everyone elseís. Post some pics of yours if youíd like.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Cool idea. Will be following, and will get some pics next time I head out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

cool thread idea. following
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
KIETHSTONE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack

I have been wanting one in the front. It holds water but it just not deep enough to hold a lot of water. Please show your progress as you make your ponds.

KIETHSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
bobby314
Ten Point

This is a great idea. I have no clue how to do it properly, but eventually want to put one on my place. Not sure how big, how deep, or how to calculate any of that. But great idea, I’d love to see some tips and info on this.
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
PYBUCK
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Upton County

Whatever you do, don't put corigated culverts thru the dam. Build an overflow spillway on one or both ends of your dam. Get a surveyers laser level and make the spillway the height you want your tank level
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

In!
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
RascalArms
Pope & Young

IN as well. I have about a 3/4 acre tank that needs to have some grading-dirt work done. I’ve had 6 or 7 folks out giving me advice and bids and no 2 have even been on the same page in terms of what/how to fix it. It’s a little overwhelming at this point.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Huntingfool
Ten Point

I have been fortunate to have several ponds on properties I have owned and spent a lot of time with them as a hobby. I live on a 2 acre pond now a few steps behind my house.

The whole process is very interesting. I liken it to deer hunting - many of the same management techniques.

My advice is to go to www.pondboss.com forum. I have no connection to the owner or site other than a user. There are some of the top experts anywhere who frequent there and they share their time to answer questions. Bob Lusk is the long time owner of Pond Boss and he is the premier fish biologist in the country IMO.

On the forum you can literally search any subject you can think of and there will be an answer. There are also a number of sponsors who do everything from building ponds to stocking to structure, etc.

Here is my set up: Can somebody rotate the third picture for me please?
Attached Images

Last edited by Huntingfool; 03-20-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Both of my ponds have fallen into disrepair the last few years. They seem to have silted in a bit and have shallowed enough to where aquatic grass grows much to thick up and through the surface of the water like a vine. It sticks out 6-10” and makes it near impossible to fish. I have been afraid to spray aquatic approved herbicide for fear of killing the fish or muddying the water when the vegetation dies off.

However, We have a friendly neighbor just up the road with an amazing 3 acre pond. Water is well maintained and the fish are fat and willing to eat.

Took the wife and kiddo out several times in the past. Most recently was this Sunday. Picked up a bucket of shiners and the bass were hungry. Ended up with 9 or 10 in an hours time

Last edited by bloodstick; 03-20-2019 at 08:23 AM.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Grizz83
Ten Point

My biggest tank finally filled completely up last fall. Unfortunately it leaks bad and has already dropped 6' since then. My other 2 are still full.
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
I have been wanting one in the front. It holds water but it just not deep enough to hold a lot of water. Please show your progress as you make your ponds.

Be careful with a shallow pond, as it will become infested with aquatic plants and completely take over. I have a small pond (50' Diameter) behind the house and it has been taken over with some aquatic plant along the edge. The center is about 8' deep with no problems.

Doug
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

My journey began 5yrs when my parents bought our ranch. It had a 15 acre lake on it as well as several other tanks ranging from 1/8 acre to 6 acres. I focus primarily on the 15. When we got it it had only been stocked with minnows, Bluegill, Cooper Nose and Red Ears 2 yr previously . We stocked an additional 10,000 shad the first year we had it and add shad each spring each yr. The following year we stocked 1000 Camelot Bells... Well fast forward to this year and caught this this past weekend. 9.5lb Bell. Lots of work but its starting to pay off

Name:  camelot.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  ribbitlake.jpg
Views: 3129
Size:  27.3 KB

BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
Tylerj5699
Four Point

Hunt In: Gillispie, and Fayette County

Got a small muddy pond at the farm that I plan to start taking efforts to clear. Following this
Tylerj5699 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
BitBackShot
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Llano County

Last summer in the drought, my buddy's tank near Enchanted Rock didn't go completely dry, but the water temperature got so high everything died.

I just put 200 1" bluegill, 200 3" green sunfish, 50 5" channel cats, and 10 4" bass in, but I'm not sure if the bait fish will populate fast enough. Hoping bass that size can eat insects, etc until we get a good minnow population back in there. I saw a few when I walked the shoreline, so they're in there a bit, but nothing like prior to the die off.

It's only a little over an acre.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Last summer in the drought, my buddy's tank near Enchanted Rock didn't go completely dry, but the water temperature got so high everything died.

I just put 200 1" bluegill, 200 3" green sunfish, 50 5" channel cats, and 10 4" bass in, but I'm not sure if the bait fish will populate fast enough. Hoping bass that size can eat insects, etc until we get a good minnow population back in there. I saw a few when I walked the shoreline, so they're in there a bit, but nothing like prior to the die off.

It's only a little over an acre.
Those green sunfish will do more damage on your minnows than your 10 bass.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #17
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

great thread idea - we are starting to work on enlarging and improving our existing tank, drilling new wells and maybe adding a new tank.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
BitBackShot
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Yeah, I went back and forth on them, but the sole purpose of the tank is for little kids to throw a bobber in and pull out a fish. Don't care if it's a bass, catfish, or sunfish. I specifically put them in there because they're aggressive and easy to catch.

Your point is well taken though. I know a lot of people don't like them.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I have a little 1/2 acre pond on my place with a windmill powered aerator (currently not pumping air. I don't know why) I've only seen what folks describe as "google eyes" come out of it.
It's not really my hobby but I'd like to be able to have eating size fish to catch. I was thinking maybe tilapia because they are very heat tolerant.

Last edited by Gunnyart; 03-20-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add photos
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #20
Huntingfool
Ten Point

A mistake I have seen made over and over on a new or renovated pond is folks not establishing their bait fish first. Put your bluegill in first and let them get established and some size on them before you put your bass in.

I also highly recommend a feeder for the blue gill. Feed floating protein during the warm months -

Also, depending on what type of pond and fishing you want, be careful with catfish. They will compete with your bass for the bait fish.

Finally if you have or buy an existing pond and your bass are established then culling bass is invaluable. Just like deer - taking some mouths out of the chain will greatly improve the size of your other fish. I have seen too many ponds where no bass are ever taken out and they become stunted -
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

I have a small catfish pond. Grass moss is building up though. Anyone used anything good to rid of it?
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

Quote:
My journey began 5yrs when my parents bought our ranch. It had a 15 acre lake on it as well as several other tanks ranging from 1/8 acre to 6 acres. I focus primarily on the 15. When we got it it had only been stocked with minnows, Bluegill, Cooper Nose and Red Ears 2 yr previously . We stocked an additional 10,000 shad the first year we had it and add shad each spring each yr. The following year we stocked 1000 Camelot Bells... Well fast forward to this year and caught this this past weekend. 9.5lb Bell. Lots of work but its starting to pay off

Dang Brandon! That is awesome bud....what a chunk!
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #23
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County & South Texas

If you are able to, line the bottom of the lake with limestone. We did this to our 35 ac lake when we re-dug it and we went from 1"-2" of clarity to a couple feet of clarity now and the bass are thriving.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
BrandonA
Pope & Young

If you are having clarity issue drop a couple of rounds bales in it. This is what the old timers did to change the PH and clarity
Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
BaseKAM36
Six Point

Hunt In: central Texas

Watch out for Hydrilla
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
If you are having clarity issue drop a couple of rounds bales in it. This is what the old timers did to change the PH and clarity
Have you seen the price of hay lately!
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Have you seen the price of hay lately!
When compared to the amount of lime and or chemicals needed to change a 5 acre lake....Hay is a bargain
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
A mistake I have seen made over and over on a new or renovated pond is folks not establishing their bait fish first. Put your bluegill in first and let them get established and some size on them before you put your bass in.

I also highly recommend a feeder for the blue gill. Feed floating protein during the warm months -

Also, depending on what type of pond and fishing you want, be careful with catfish. They will compete with your bass for the bait fish.

Finally if you have or buy an existing pond and your bass are established then culling bass is invaluable. Just like deer - taking some mouths out of the chain will greatly improve the size of your other fish. I have seen too many ponds where no bass are ever taken out and they become stunted -
So this is why Iím glad this thread was started and I sure donít claim to know what Iím doing but a few things here:

Like I mentioned, our new property has about a 3/4 acre tank.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=710503

According to the seller the tank has been there for at least 20+ years prior to him owning it for only about 5 years. He never stocked it and only actually fished it a handful of times. My son and I have been fishing it fairy hard since mid October and have been able to catch ONLY blacks and crappie.....absolutely nothing else. We have tried worms and whole kernel corn for bluegills, brim or perch with nary a bite....nothing. Weíve also tried fishing blood baits and stink baits looking for catfish. ZERO, nada, no luck at all. Iíve even thrown whole pieces of white bread in the tank and have yet to see a single bait fish hit the stuff.

Now the good news is I really like catching black bass and weíve actually caught some decent size fish in it (biggest being about 4lbs) but it seems to be over populated with too many smaller 1 to 1.5 lb bass. I have a neighbor that just built a tank and would love to take some of my fish but what is the best ďculling methodĒ for bass? Do I just pull the obvious small fish...under 1.5lbs??

Also, since I hadnít had any luck with catfish I just stocked 200 pounds of channel cats a couple of weeks ago. But now Iím concerned about the baitfish.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=725522

Do I need to be finding some baitfish? If so, where? I can buy minnows at a local bait store but what else is recommended? Iíve been on the pondboss site but IMO itís not very user-friendly.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #29
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
So this is why Iím glad this thread was started and I sure donít claim to know what Iím doing but a few things here:

Like I mentioned, our new property has about a 3/4 acre tank.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=710503

According to the seller the tank has been there for at least 20+ years prior to him owning it for only about 5 years. He never stocked it and only actually fished it a handful of times. My son and I have been fishing it fairy hard since mid October and have been able to catch ONLY blacks and crappie.....absolutely nothing else. We have tried worms and whole kernel corn for bluegills, brim or perch with nary a bite....nothing. Weíve also tried fishing blood baits and stink baits looking for catfish. ZERO, nada, no luck at all. Iíve even thrown whole pieces of white bread in the tank and have yet to see a single bait fish hit the stuff.

Now the good news is I really like catching black bass and weíve actually caught some decent size fish in it (biggest being about 4lbs) but it seems to be over populated with too many smaller 1 to 1.5 lb bass. I have a neighbor that just built a tank and would love to take some of my fish but what is the best ďculling methodĒ for bass? Do I just pull the obvious small fish...under 1.5lbs??

Also, since I hadnít had any luck with catfish I just stocked 200 pounds of channel cats a couple of weeks ago. But now Iím concerned about the baitfish.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=725522

Do I need to be finding some baitfish? If so, where? I can buy minnows at a local bait store but what else is recommended? Iíve been on the pondboss site but IMO itís not very user-friendly.
I would kill it and start over
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would kill it and start over
**** Brandon...thanks for all the advice. Hope you didnít overwhelm yourself with all the typing

Itís a gorgeous tank with some decent size healthy bass and crappie. Why would I need to kill it?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #31
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
**** Brandon...thanks for all the advice. Hope you didnít overwhelm yourself with all the typing

Itís a gorgeous tank with some decent size healthy bass and crappie. Why would I need to kill it?
PM sent
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #32
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
When compared to the amount of lime and or chemicals needed to change a 5 acre lake....Hay is a bargain
My cows havenít complained.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #33
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I have a little 1/2 acre pond on my place with a windmill powered aerator (currently not pumping air. I don't know why) I've only seen what folks describe as "google eyes" come out of it.
It's not really my hobby but I'd like to be able to have eating size fish to catch. I was thinking maybe tilapia because they are very heat tolerant.

We have this windmill and it pumps air like crazy. We had trouble at first because we did not have the right hose. Now we had a tornado run through the property and it ripped the head off. Still need to get around to fixing that.
npe001 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #34
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
**** Brandon...thanks for all the advice. Hope you didn’t overwhelm yourself with all the typing

It’s a gorgeous tank with some decent size healthy bass and crappie. Why would I need to kill it?
If you have that many stunted fish it’s hard to catch up. If you don’t want to kill remove every 1.5 lb or smaller. Toss them in a cooler and on the bank whatever . This year our cull line is 15” or less and anything that is over 15” and not 2lbs. But we have 15acres with max depth touching 40+ft. My goal is to someday be culling 4lb Bass

Last edited by BrandonA; 03-20-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #35
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you have that many stunted fish itís hard to catch up. And what is decent?
I never mentioned having stunted bass. My understanding of stunted fish are bigger heads with smaller thinner bodies. The blacks we catch are all proportionate size IMO. By decent size I mean weíve caught several 3.5-4# fish with the biggest being closer to 4.5 Iíd say. My only complaint is that there seems to be a bunch....too many small ones. I think I could impose a slot on them and have better results.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #36
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you have that many stunted fish itís hard to catch up. If you donít want to kill remove every 1.5 lb or smaller. Toss them in a cooler and on the bank whatever . This year our cull line is 15Ē or less and anything that is over 15Ē and not 2lbs. But we have 15acres with max depth touching 40+ft. My goal is to someday be culling 4lb Bass
Bless your little heart
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #37
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bless your little heart
Sounds extreme and selfish I guess but I want my friends, family and myself to come out and have a legit chance at catching a 10+ lb fish. That’s a trophy of a lifetime in the Pickle world. I want to provide a realistic chance. To do that I have to raise the bar on all
Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #38
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
Sounds extreme and selfish I guess but I want my friends, family and myself to come out and have a legit chance at catching a 10+ lb fish. Thatís a trophy of a lifetime in the Pickle world. I want to provide a realistic chance. To do that I have to raise the bar on all
You appear to have a great pond and doing things right - for most people catching a 4 lb bass is one of a lifetime so if you are producing a chance at 6-10 lb bass then that is very cool
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #39
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
You appear to have a great pond and doing things right - for most people catching a 4 lb bass is one of a lifetime so if you are producing a chance at 6-10 lb bass then that is very cool
I donít have a pond I have a 15acre lake
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #40
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Quote:
I donít have a pond I have a 15acre lake
He gave you a compliment man, and you got big pond or a little lake that size could go either way.
BrokenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #41
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County, Western Mountain States

How many fish a year would you take out of a 2 acre lake with a fairly high population. We take everything under 14 -15 inches

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #42
Tbar
Ten Point

Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #43
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post

Thats a pretty place you got
Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #44
hog_down
Ten Point

Quote:
That is something that I have learned recently. Now, I am aiming to catch them and clean them out of any body of water I fish.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #45
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post

Beautiful place! Mind telling me who built your dock?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #46
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Beautiful place! Mind telling me who built your dock?
Unfortunantly it was my now deceased friend in pic 5 & 6.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #47
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Beautiful place Tbar!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #48
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Tbar what are those plants you have planted in the water?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #49
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Yesterday afternoon I finally got the keys to several private gravel lakes. Since I will be the only one fishing them and they havent been fished in 10 years atleast, I look forward to see if I can grow some big fish like you guys do. They range from 200-1000 acres of water.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #50
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Tbar what are those plants you have planted in the water?
I didn't plant it.......its Bulrush.