Transmission service- yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just rolled 100k in my 2017 f150 and per the manual it calls for a trans service, which is just a flush and filter. I'm at a crossroads and looking for opinions.

I've always heard you either religiously do as recommended or don't touch it at all. My truck has zero indication of any trans issues at the moment so I hate to break into it, but what say you?

For reference, I'm very easy on the gas peddle and occasionally pull a 23' camper.

Following

Comment

I’ve been told never to flush them.

Comment

I had a 2011 Ram, drove it 200k, sold it last yr and had them done regularly and never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          That's old school. They used to say that new fluid would flush out all the crap that keeps the Trans working. I'm due for a flush and change myself.

Comment

I wouldn't flush. Change fluid and filter, call it good. Unless you don't plan to keep it to 200k, then just leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              Man this is a tough one my diesel had twist on filters, my 1500
              Is flush and change filter, my last gas cratered after a flush and filter

Comment

You should service your transmission. You probably fall under severe duty.

Comment

Called my buddy at AAmco. He says they do what the customer wants and do not push flushes.
                  He says at least do a pan off inspection with a new filter.......................

Comment

Trans service at Ford should include transfer case if 4x4 and also diff fluids, I just had my 2015 F-250 done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would flush it since it's per schedule, now if you waiting until 200K I would just change the filter.

Comment

I have never seen a manufacturer recommend a flush.
                        Generally it’s drain and refill with new and a filter change.

Comment

I know for sure that you need to service allison transmissions. maybe even have an analysis done on the fluid to check for issues

Comment

Yes. Service trans

Comment

I did a drain from the pan and filter change only. Drained 6 quarts, but 4 were left in the torque converter. Will do another drain in about 30,000 miles to keep my average fluid age within spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X