Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post
    It sort of depends on the hunt you are doing. Are you backpacking in and not seeing the truck for 8 days, or are you staying in a lodge?

Poly layers will stink after a day or less hiking in early September. Conversely, I’ve worn the same merino shirt for 8 days straight without a noticeable odor.

Checkout the following for budget friendly gear.
    - Black Ovis merino layers
    - Wrangler outdoor pants

Buy good boots that fit well and are thoroughly broken in by the time you get to the mountains. Merino socks are a must. I don’t prefer sock liners, but some people do.
    Great info here. Those Wrangler pants are great and only cost like $25. Good base layers underneath and a good pair of gaiters to keep your feet dry and you're set.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      I didnt believe the hype of it, then I bought some 'gucchi' clothing.

Its worth it
      x2. I've got a number of different layers and outerwear from Kuiu and for cold weather it has been a game changer. In warm weather, the merino and their synthetic items are hard to beat for a lightweight/moisture wicking option. I started off buying a jacket, and then a lightweight shirt, and ended up with a closet full.

If you purchase any of the "Gucci" camo you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Comment

Check out Camofire for deals.
        Leave your cotton at home.

Solid pants will work fine, camo top.
        Merino base layers and socks, good boots well broken in.
        Gaiters instead of rain pants, rain jacket that is quiet.

Newer camo is way more quiet and that is very important on an archery hunt.
        You want something that does not absorb much moisture but dried fast when it does.

Be prepared for snow, you may get several inches or feet of it in Sept. Just ask those that hunted in the big snow last Sept, we had 18 inches in camp.

Bird pants and jeans are not going to cut it elk hunting in the mountains during archery season.

Have a day pack for daily trips out and a pack frame for packing put meat. Small pack on our back is much quieter when trying to slip through downfall and heavy timber etc..
        Save the big pack for quarters, boned out meat will go in the day pack for 1st trip to camp or the vehicle then take the pack frame.

Good game bags too, not cotton mess.

Comment

OP,

Good thread, and great info.

Thought you might want to check out these videos:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs&t=408s"]Layering for Backcountry Bow Hunt - First Lite, Kuiu, WoolX - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYOBYkktJA&t=10s"]Montana Elk Hunting - Clothing we use (late October) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Good link hopedale. Layers are the key for sure.

Get your boots broken in well this summer. Get some Leukotape in case of blisters or hot spots from the boots.
            Leukotape is a breathable sports tape used to prevent skin sheer and blisters, even in very wet conditions. Use it to prevent hot spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post

Poly layers will stink after a day or less hiking in early September. Conversely, I’ve worn the same merino shirt for 8 days straight without a noticeable odor.
              This!

You can also get a lot of used Kuiu, FirstLite, Sitka, etc gear on Facebook Marketplace in some of the groups and pay a less than new retail, if you're patient.

I talked to several guys who liked the 511 pants for warm season mountain hunting too.

Comment

As others have said, it depends on the kind of hunt you are doing. If you are staying in a cabin it’s not a big deal. If you are tent camping and hiking for 7 days, the newer stuff definitely helps. Not the camo pattern but the quality - light weight, odor absorbing, dries instantly, same jacket comfortable in 30-70 degree temps.
                -Good boots are a must
                -good pair of binocs, i dont Recommend wasting Money on fancy optics like some of these guys say. They are very heavy and my binocs can see just as well. You’re not going to be glassing open country all day like a Muley hunt
                -solid base layer, merino. Great for long hunts and not smelling horrible
                -solid pair of pants. I like Kuiu attack and my favorite is my Prana stretch pants, solid brown
                -one light jacket in camo, 100 to chose from. I like Kuiu and predator. I get Better pricing on Kuiu. First lite and Sitka prices are outrageous
                - a puffy jacket, and brand will work

Comment

Even if staying in a cabin you need good hunting clothes, you'll be hunting out in the elements, not in your cabin.
                  Good binos that gather in low light are a must, not necessarily high magnification but light gathering ability. You should be glassing in the timber for elk parts; antlers tips, eyes and legs just barely visible. Glassed up many an elk when set up calling that I never would have seen without binos.

Check out camofire and blackovis for deals. Last years closeouts should be on sale soon.

My puffy was a game changer for me in bitter cold hunting conditions. Even in Sept you may get into a heavy cold snow, be prepared.

Comment

Actual camo patterns are over-rated IMO. Needs to be comfortable and stuff. Water-proof in rain, warm in cold, moisture wicking in hot.

With that said, most of mine is bought in clearance at walmart, lol.

But I do splurge a lil on socks and base layers sometimes.

Comment

Function over form.

Comment

Working...
                      X