Help Me Decide.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
    Wait, what? 7mm Mag not enough knockdown power?? You hunting elephants?

Between the 7mm and the 300wm the OP asked about, the 7mm doesn’t hold a candle to a 300 in knockdown energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
      Between the 7mm and the 300wm the OP asked about, the 7mm doesn’t hold a candle to a 300 in knockdown energy.

Depending on projectile.

Comment

Id go further in shot placement.

I'd vote 7mm, easy to get components right now.

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        Depending on projectile.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          Id go further in shot placement.

I'd vote 7mm, easy to get components right now.

7mm is just a down right good caliber but at the end of the day shoot what you like.

Most guys shooting big magnums are also shooting watered down loads like corelokt or federal blue box. With a light bullet.

There isn’t anything in America beside maybe a grizzly that can’t be killed with a short case cartridge. Shot placement, bullet selection, distance if you have all 3 of these the animal is dead.

Comment

If you have a 30-06 you don't 'need' either
            But I like flat shooting guns - 7mag

Comment

300 win mag has my vote, you can hunt all of North America no problem

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Depending on projectile.
                This. Are you looking for maximum energy dumps which result in DRT shots but rarely pass through or a dependable pass through with good weight retention and solid blood trails. Both can be accomplished with the two calibers you mentioned. As far as flatter shooting, the 7mm mag is definitely flatter but me personally prefer a 300 with a 180 grain Berger.
                Last edited by Muddy Bud; 09-23-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

My .300 win mag was converted into a 7mm rem mag. Will kill anything in north america. If I am chasing moose or big bears then will load it up with 175 gr barnes tsx or nosler partition. For elk, caribou, or black bear load up 160 gr of your chosen flavor partition, accubond, really any bonded bullet. For deer or smaller the 140-160 gr bullets in a nosler ballistic tip or sst etc flavor get the nod. And won't beat the hell out of you when your shooting it like a .300 win mag. Chosen elk load this year is a 162 gr sst and will also be my deer and pig load.

Comment

Any thoughts about a 7SAUM? I'm getting 2950 fps with a Berger 180 grain out of a Proof 24" barrel. Much less recoil than the 7mag or 300win, but I'm old and wimpy.

Comment

7MM STW in a Rem Sendero...

Comment

7mm Ultra Mag!!

Comment

7 Mag.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            Weird. I hunt with a 243 or 7mm-08 and drop just about everything in their tracks.
                            My wife’s 7mm-08 drops them straight down, and the .243 I sold a while back had a few short tracks of 20-30 yards in thick yaupon infested oak flats, but certainly nothing that made me ever worry about losing an animal with it. And I’ve never aimed for a neck shot in my life. Maybe I’m missing something

And while I haven’t shot the 7 mag that I bought on a whim a while back and now is just sitting in the safe, I don’t know that I would ever need to worry about a long track with it. Not sure if I’ll ever shoot it, but had hopes of hunting Colorado this year that didn’t come to fruition...wife’s folks are selling their place there. Certainly no need to here at the house, I’ll keep using the 7mm-08 for that

Comment

Both are great calibers and at the end of the day the IP needs to shoot what he is comfortable with and can shoot accurately.

I had to chuckle a little at the comparison between the two on Axis, pigs and Whitetail. Only because both of the calibers in question could be considered overkill on those smaller species.

That being said, I think the 7mm Magnum is a more versatile caliber in being able to shoot lighter weight bullets. As an example, you can load a 110 gr Barnes TTSX at 3500 fps if you want a fast, flat shooting bullet for smaller big game like Antelope, Deer etc.. Or, you can load it up with a 175 gr Barnes TSX and take it on your Moose hunt.

I personally shoot a 7mm RUM and my “go to” load is the Barnes 145 gr LRX. In Africa I loaded it with Barnes 160 gr TSX bullets and it hammered the largest of plains game animals with no issues. Oh, and as far as DRT? That has as much to do with bullet placement as it does the bullet, if not more.

I just believe the 7mm is more versatile between the two calibers being discussed.

Comment

I’ve shot a LOT of rounds through both and have had both for years. Toss up really. I do lean towards my 300 for bigger animals but only due to the load it shoots. 180 accubond in my 300 and a 180 Berger in the 7. The 7 outruns the 300.

Comment

Working...
                                X