X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big green egg

Just purchased one from a member. It is in great shape but
    it does not have the “heat deflector”.
    Do all green eggs come with this new and do I need one to cook most items in the green Egg?

Thanks.

Big pig

Big Pig, I do not think they come with them and it is an added purchase, but one that I would make. I use my deflector when I am cooking something low and slow like a brisket or pork butt. I also use it if I am only cooking poppers as it helps with the bacon grease flaring up. If cooking a ribeye or anything else, normally I am right on the grill.

Comment

It is an accessory. Definitely something you need to purchase for smoking and indirect cooking. Check out ceramicgrillstore.com. Buy one of their options better built and cheaper than anything BGE sells. I recommend the rig.

Comment

They might come with it in a package deal but, you can buy bare bones with nothing too.

Also it is my experience that eventually it will crack/break so you will end up buying again anyway.

I use mine always. I just feel like when I have them it is a more even heat....no hot spots.

Comment

How well do the eggs work?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumberger View Post
            How well do the eggs work?
            They work great. I use mine several times a week. Just smoked a brisket for 11-1/2 hours and didn't have to add anything to the fire. Maintained the temperature I wanted the entire cook.

Comment

Get a flameboss 400 and you never have to touch it during a long cook. It's a game changer. Put wood in X pattern, dump lump charcoal on top to about the fire ring, light 1 small spot in center with a torch, put your indirect heat shield or/ ceramicgrillstore.com equivalent on, add your grill grate back on, pan of water, flameboss temp probe about 1 inch above grates, close lid, close pinwheel and crack it a little bit, let the flame boss go to work.. add meat and 2nd temp probe to meat when you are ready. Do something else with the rest of your day and monitor it with your iPhone from anywhere in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by marc.munoz31 View Post
                It is an accessory. Definitely something you need to purchase for smoking and indirect cooking. Check out ceramicgrillstore.com. Buy one of their options better built and cheaper than anything BGE sells. I recommend the rig.
                You made a great decision. I have eaten BBQ off of Kamado/BGE style smokers since the early 80's. I also sear stakes on it at 700 degrees. You aren't going to get Q out of it like you would a pitmaker but you can get **** close. The versatility is what you will enjoy.

I don't know which size you purchased but do as marc suggested and go to ceramicgrillstore.com and purchase a woo ring and stone or half moons in order to smoke for long periods. An adjustable rig will increase capacity about 3x.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                  You made a great decision. I have eaten BBQ off of Kamado/BGE style smokers since the early 80's. I also sear stakes on it at 700 degrees. You aren't going to get Q out of it like you would a pitmaker but you can get **** close. The versatility is what you will enjoy.

I don't know which size you purchased but do as marc suggested and go to ceramicgrillstore.com and purchase a woo ring and stone or half moons in order to smoke for long periods. An adjustable rig will increase capacity about 3x.
                  *steaks

Comment

Working...
                  X