Turning Protein Off Because of Rain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Protein Off Because of Rain ?

Anyone else thinking of doing it? First time I've ever considered it but we've had 12 inches plus down south already this year. I've got fresh, free 20 percent coming out of the ground. Seriously thinking of shuting it down until we dry out a touch.

Not me. When it gets really wet like it is now I don't think deer get as much protein & nutrients out of the vegetation, like it goes right thru em. I seem to have my best years when it is a semi dry summer after a good spring green up. Of course I'm talking S Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Anyone else thinking of doing it? First time I've ever considered it but we've had 12 inches plus down south already this year. I've got fresh, free 20 percent coming out of the ground. Seriously thinking of shuting it down until we dry out a touch.
      Are y'all running protein free choice, timed or both Shane?

We run both and the few off-seasons we've had the luxury, we've turned our timed protein feeders off or down and kept the free choices full.....Then we let the deer decide what they want, when they want.

Comment

Rarely, but I have before when everything is green and they all but stop eating protein. Running timed trough feeders, it can really become a waste with trough buildup that gets wet.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
          Are y'all running protein free choice, timed or both Shane?

We run both and the few off-seasons we've had the luxury, we've turned our timed protein feeders off or down and kept the free choices full.....Then we let the deer decide what they want, when they want.
          Free choice. Our consumption goes to a crawl anyway starting late June through August. Seems our deer favor the Cactus Tunas and beans over the feed. By late August it picks way back up.

Comment

I have a theory and it has proven to be relatively accurate over the past few decades of raising deer on our South Texas property.

In wet years, our deer tend to eat less protein pellets and rely more on natural growth such as forbs, brush and weeds. Some of these are better than others in terms of nutrition and taste (not always directly correlated).

In normal years, our deer eat a balance of pellets and natural growth.

In dry years, our deer eat more pellets and less natural growth.

No rocket science in the above statements. Here comes the issue.....

In the really wet years, our deer tend to eat more of the "ice cream" weeds and forbs that taste good, but have lower relative protein and nutrient contents. Thus, they tend to have less impressive antler growth in really wet years compared to normal or even dry years.

The level and duration of supplemental feeding obviously impacts this, but in my case where supplemental feed is abundantly available year round, the wet years have not proven to be the best years for antler growth.

Somewhat contrary to the above, I have noticed that back to back wet years tend to produce very good antler growth in the second year due to a level or even elevated nutritional plane for the deer.

Your mileage may vary, but I advocate for leaving the protein available on demand.

Comment

I would agree with still filling them especially as we enter the hotter months... our deer may stop hitting them for a few days but then pick right up. Especially last month, I noticed mid to upper 90’s days they were hammering the protein from what cameras showed.

Comment

I have a free choice protein feeder, so this doesn't really answer your question. But the protein consumption is a lot slower right now, with all the green stuff growing. But in the really hot, dry summer months (JULY and AUGUST) they hammer the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                  I have a theory and it has proven to be relatively accurate over the past few decades of raising deer on our South Texas property.

In wet years, our deer tend to eat less protein pellets and rely more on natural growth such as forbs, brush and weeds. Some of these are better than others in terms of nutrition and taste (not always directly correlated).

In normal years, our deer eat a balance of pellets and natural growth.

In dry years, our deer eat more pellets and less natural growth.

No rocket science in the above statements. Here comes the issue.....

In the really wet years, our deer tend to eat more of the "ice cream" weeds and forbs that taste good, but have lower relative protein and nutrient contents. Thus, they tend to have less impressive antler growth in really wet years compared to normal or even dry years.

The level and duration of supplemental feeding obviously impacts this, but in my case where supplemental feed is abundantly available year round, the wet years have not proven to be the best years for antler growth.

Somewhat contrary to the above, I have noticed that back to back wet years tend to produce very good antler growth in the second year due to a level or even elevated nutritional plane for the deer.

Your mileage may vary, but I advocate for leaving the protein available on demand.

Given the history and pics, I would follow this guys suggestions!

Comment

I echo some of the experiences STGS stated above. While wet years do seem to help the overall herd I still think pellets offer a nutritional balance that is necessary in almost all habitats.Also agreeing with the above we have grown some of our very best deer in the drier years...just don't have as many of them in the really dry years.

So while consumption may drop in the wetter years I still believe quality rations provide nutrition that may not be available in the local habitat. We are going to be keeping our feeders full.

And it may not seem relevant...but I think it is. On my farm in La. I keep protein out all summer at a feeder per 60 acres. That with year round food plots all over the place. Everything is super lush this year but deer still hit the feeders. While it is totally anecdotal and not defensible I still believe the pellets add 10-15% to antler growth here in La. on top of all the year round cultivars.
                    Last edited by elgato; 05-26-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Sound advice gents. I've never seen a year so lush during the right timing. Therefore was thinking they might not actually need the feed.

I've seen too many studies where antler growth can be in direct correlation with rainfall, especially an abundance of spring rains. I might just keep the feed rolling, I'd sure hate to loose 10 to 15 inches over it.

Comment

No harm in keeping the protein rolling and to be sure...I'll take a wet spring over dry or drought every time. Will be keen to see what you produce this year.Should also add seems the entire bell curve of deer do better with great spring rains. Hopefully there is an outlier in there that blows your socks off. { 12" so far...dang; never had that }

Comment

Wish we could say the same down south. I think we got about 2" during these last big storms and about 6" for the year

Comment

I guess it could depend on soil type so our results may not be relevant to everywhere in SoTX, but BY FAR, the best years are the best rain years on Las Raices.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                              I guess it could depend on soil type so our results may not be relevant to everywhere in SoTX, but BY FAR, the best years are the best rain years on Las Raices.
                              I assume you feed year round irrespective of rain fall?

Comment

Working...
                              X