Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
    Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. It’s nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully they’re not using this a “fix” for what sounds like a widespread problem.
    True dat! It's because of an incorrect angle and non adjustable caster alignment. Negative caster adjustment is what causes it. The only problem is positive caster alignment increases the turn radius. Ford elected to use a jigged non adjustable caster setup to save $$$ during assembly/mfg. Also to allow for a shorter turn radius to compete with the other truck mfgrs. This also means the truck does not have to go thru a caster alignment process coming down the assembly line. Again, the bean counters doing what they do best.

Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment than the stock truck is capable of.

Comment

off The web
      Muzzle break beat me to it ^^^^

“”Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment””

Comment

Is this death wobble limited to the 4 wheel drive trucks or does the 2 wheel drive F 250's get it too?

Comment

My 2019 Ford F-250 started the death wobble at 27,000 miles. Got it fixed and traded it in. Service manager was honest and said it would probably happen again after new parts got a few thousand miles on it! My family uses my truck every so often, so I didn’t want to take a chance of this happening with them driving it.

Comment

Yep, a buddy is running these on his 17 F250, no issues since he installed them and had a frame alignment shop set the castor right. Factory suspension with a 3 inch level.

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            True dat! It's because of an incorrect angle and non adjustable caster alignment. Negative caster adjustment is what causes it. The only problem is positive caster alignment increases the turn radius. Ford elected to use a jigged non adjustable caster setup to save $$$ during assembly/mfg. Also to allow for a shorter turn radius to compete with the other truck mfgrs. This also means the truck does not have to go thru a caster alignment process coming down the assembly line. Again, the bean counters doing what they do best.

Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment than the stock truck is capable of.

Spot on, Rams/Jeeps, basically anything solid front axle are subject to this as well, but getting the castor and alignment set right makes it non issue. Thuren suspension has a great write up about it for the Ram trucks, but could spill over to Ford as well.

We Sell Direct! Shop our line of High Performance, Highest Quality Off-Road suspension, specializing in Dodge Ram trucks. From improving your daily driving street ride, to all out Off-Road performance, we have you covered!

Comment

Looks like you missed this...

The 30 Day Test
              If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

Comment

While I agree that this is a ridiculous issue and should be covered under warranty, my advice is to forget Ford and go aftermarket. I have a '19 F250 and I started noticing extra "bounce" in my steering at about 18k miles and had full blown death wobble at 21k miles with my two year old in the truck with me. I cringe at the thought of if my wife had been driving the truck with both kids in it cause it may have turned out very different. I've done and driven a lot of stupid things and that's probably the worst feelings I've had behind the steering wheel.

I talked to my local dealer and wasn't interested in them replacing the factory stabilizer with another one that "should be from a different manufacturer". I replaced the factory stabilizer with a Fox 985-24-001. Haven't had the death wobble again in another 3-4k miles and the steering response is significantly tighter. When I notice the bouncy steering again I'll either replace the shock again, go to a dual steering stabilizer or more realistically sell the truck. It is no doubt the steering stabilizer causing the problem. When I removed my factory one I could pull/push it about an inch in either direction with no resistance whatsoever.

Comment

If you bring it too me at 4wp 18 in Houston I can tell you what’s wrong. We fix them everyday. It’s a very common issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2012 F-250 4x4 with the PSD, 20" factory rims, MT tires at 50 psi. My truck has 150k miles. Suspension is bone stock (Have not replaced anything in the front end yet) except for replacing shocks that were blown for 9 months. Both before and after the new shocks, I've never had death wobble. I drive the same stretch of road OP drives.

There is more variables to the problem than just a castor angle. According to a lot of folks on this thread, I should have had it. My personal opinion, it happens due to two causes. 1) Guys running factory 18" rims that they run with low tire pressures, 2) guys who put giant tires on their truck with the cheapest lift they can find. It also doesn't help that Ford puts the absolute ****tiest shocks they can find from the bargain bin on their trucks. Even the FX-4 shocks are complete garbage. The shock shaft diameter is the same as most SUV's that weigh half of a Superduty.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be ordering it here pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        It is absolutely laughable that a company the size of FoMoCo can't eliminate a problem known as "death wobble" on a $75k dollar truck.

At least they didn't take a bail out!
                        I have some ocean front for sale in Oklahoma I'll make you a good deal on.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          I have a 2012 F-250 4x4 with the PSD, 20" factory rims, MT tires at 50 psi. My truck has 150k miles. Suspension is bone stock (Have not replaced anything in the front end yet) except for replacing shocks that were blown for 9 months. Both before and after the new shocks, I've never had death wobble. I drive the same stretch of road OP drives.

There is more variables to the problem than just a castor angle. According to a lot of folks on this thread, I should have had it. My personal opinion, it happens due to two causes. 1) Guys running factory 18" rims that they run with low tire pressures, 2) guys who put giant tires on their truck with the cheapest lift they can find. It also doesn't help that Ford puts the absolute ****tiest shocks they can find from the bargain bin on their trucks. Even the FX-4 shocks are complete garbage. The shock shaft diameter is the same as most SUV's that weigh half of a Superduty.
                          I don't fit either category.

Mark called yesterday and they've been given authorization to replace with an aftermarket part to get me back on the road. Thanks Mark!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                            Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be ordering it here pretty quick.

Why add caster from the bottom of the radius arm when you can just add the cams at the ball joint? They come stock with either a .12 or .25 +or - just add a degree and a half on both sides and see how it drives. They are making this too complicated.

Comment

My 2018 F250 did the death wobble at about 18000 miles. I took it in and referenced TSB 18-2268 concerning the problem. My truck was fixed within a couple of days. I haven't had the issue since the repair, but I'm a little leery about it.

Comment

Also is the truck lifted or stock? I don’t feel like digging through all the post. If lifted you should be running the stock dampener with a duel front stabilizer on tires 35 and larger. If stock With tires under 33. Use Stock stabilizer. If the stabilizer is upgraded and the problem still is there. It can be coming from the tires no matter how old they are. Put the stock tires back on and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Working...
                                X