Questions from a soon Texas newbie and handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from a soon Texas newbie and handguns

I will be transferring to Texas very soon from Indiana. Here in Indiana we can obtain a lifetime license to carry a firearm. I know that Texas you guys have to renew every 4 years.
    Could I or should I apply for a Texas license now or should I wait until my residency would kick in down there? My license that I currently have is valid in Texas until I am technically a resident in Texas. Once I am a resident it will no longer be valid. I will need to also check into residency law in Texas as well so if folks have moved to Texas from other states your help would be much appreciated.

My whole goal is to stay legal!

Comment

I don’t believe you can even apply for Texas LTC until you are an actual resident.

Hopefully we will do away with the LTC requirement entirely in the 2021 session. I’m hopeful but doubtful. At least make it optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I believe you have to be a TX resident to apply for a Texas LTC or active duty military.

If Texas has reciprocity with Indiana, which I’d be surprised if we didn’t, I believe you’d be allowed to legally carry until you have established residency. Once you have residency though, you must have a TX LTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Good find

Comment

I, too,I hope the Legislature will consider the bill to make LTC’s unnecessary, but like Mike D, I’m not holding my breath.

Yes, you will need an LTC to carry a firearm in Texas after you establish residency. However, the Castle Doctrine makes it legal to wield your weapon in your home and your car without needing an LTC.

Comment

Working...
              X