Snake Boot Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake Boot Survey

Likely headed south next year and advised to get the boots (which I will). But just curious, have any of you ever had a rattlesnake strike your boots?

Yes. Several times. But usually it's when I step on them to catch them.

Gary

Comment

I have been popped several times but not while wearing snake boots but regular work boots. All about ankle high. I do wear snake boots now more for the cactus than snakes

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        I have been popped several times but not while wearing snake boots but regular work boots. All about ankle high. I do wear snake boots now more for the cactus than snakes
        I second this. I wear snake boots more for the brush than the snakes. The peace of mind is not a bad secondary bonus though! Those devils are rampant down south.

I wear the Chippewa moc-toe. The full leather boot looks much better than cordura IMO.

Comment

Brush and cactus are hell in south Texas.

Comment

i've been encountered but not struck twice. Both times without snake boots but what it taught me was to go buy a pair of snake boots. I use it more for the brush now.

Comment

Two last year, this one left a bit of venom. Other one hit on the ankle of the boot, was stuck for a bit. Kicked it off, bounced of wall of ranch house. Boots are a good ideal.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah lots of times. I don't wear snake boots very often but a work boot will stop a snakes fangs. Where you run into trouble is finding snakes that can strike above your boots. There's snakes in South Texas that can hit you above the tallest snake boots available. Snake proof chaps get my vote. Ones that protect more than your feet and shins.

Comment

I'm certainly not against snake boots, but I've never worn them myself. You should know that 85% of snake bites occur to the hands and fingers and 57% of snake bites occur when people are intentionally handling the snake. Of the 13% that occur on the feet and legs, most are below the ankle. So statistically speaking, the chance of snake boots preventing a bite that regular boots wouldn't also prevent is quite small. Again, not trying to talk anyone out of them. A lot of people love their snake boots for a wide variety of reasons. But nothing is more important than situational awareness.

Edit: https://www.outsideonline.com/230429...out-snakebites
                  Last edited by Snakelover; 12-19-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                    I'm certainly not against snake boots, but I've never worn them myself. You should know that 85% of snake bites occur to the hands and fingers and 57% of snake bites occur when people are intentionally handling the snake. Of the 13% that occur on the feet and legs, most are below the ankle. So statistically speaking, the chance of snake boots preventing a bite that regular boots wouldn't also prevent is quite small. Again, not trying to talk anyone out of them. A lot of people love their snake boots for a wide variety of reasons. But nothing is more important than situational awareness.
                    But I would rather wear snake boots to prevent 90ish% of the 13% of bites that do occur to the feet/legs.....I think those percentages would be way different if you just looked at outdoorsman/hunters, people that aren't necessarily "handling" snakes. So snake boots reduce my odds significantly.....because I guarantee I will never be part of the 57% that "intentionally" handle the snake. Agreed, situational awareness is key!!

No Sir!!!

Comment

If I were worried I'd buy snake chaps...your probably going to be wearing boots already.

Comment

Had a couple Copperhead bites no problem...I wear Chip leather bottom cordura tops.When I hunted down south they were Rattler insurance and side benifit was thorns and cactus

Comment

Snake boots are cheaper than my Emergency room deductible. Peace of mind can be priceless and most likely painless.

Comment

never had one strike me, but still wear them just in case

Comment

Not a rattlesnake, but I’ve had a couple cotton mouth strikes.

I like my lacrosse 4X Alpha snake boots. I even have a pair with waterproof/snakeproof chaps sewn to them. Sure gives you peace of mind when you are snake proof all the way up to the jewels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X