Gate Posts and Automatic Gate Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Posts and Automatic Gate Opener

I'm looking to add an automatic gate opener and new gate at our farm house. Currently is has an old school galvanized swing gate. The posts are in terrible shape and the gate drags the ground. We have to pick up on the end of the gate to open it and close it. First I will need to put in the new posts. I have an old telephone pole I can use if need be but might go with 6"x6" treated posts. I'm a little worried the 6"x6" treated posts may twist (warp) over time. This will be a cheap build so I'm looking at a farm gate from tractor supply and a Ghost Automatic Gate Opener. There is no electric close to the gate so it will be battery and solar powered. Not wanting to spend the money on a big fabricated metal gate and posts with high end opener. We may need to move the gate at some point. What would y'all use for the hinge posts? Gate will be lightweight and 14-16'.

I would go with a 4” or 6” pipe and bury it 3’-4’ deep and you’ll never have to worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by SCORPION KING View Post
      I would go with a 4” or 6” pipe and bury it 3’-4’ deep and you’ll never have to worry about it
      I happen to install the ghost controllers for our local feed store. Good choice on the opener. If you're going to be gone for long periods of time, spring for the zombie lock to go along with the install. What Scorpion King said is correct. 4 to 6 inch pipe will be sufficient. I'd drill as deep and wide as you can and concrete it in. Shouldn't have any issues with sagging as long as you don't put too heavy of a gate. You can PM if you have any questions....

Comment

Pipe isn't an option. I'll probably go with the 6"x6" treated and see how it does. Gate won't be heavy.

Comment

If you concrete in a wooden post, it will rot off at the top of the concrete. If you use a wooden post, tamp pea gravel around it.

Comment

[quote=Wellborn Papa;14888038]If you concrete in a wooden post, it will rot off at the top of the concrete. If you use a wooden post, tamp pea gravel

This is correct. Even with a lighter gate I'd probably brace the post that the gate is attached to....

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
              If you concrete in a wooden post, it will rot off at the top of the concrete. If you use a wooden post, tamp pea gravel around it.
              This may be true but I have two treated 6x6s concreted in I have had at my front gate for 19 plus years and no issues with rotting so far. I installed it myself.
              Last edited by tps7742; 05-25-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I have a ghost control opener and it works great unless the wind blows. Their tech service tells me my mounts are moving. Which would have been a good call until I welded them in place and still have the same problem. Hindsight is you get what you pay for with gate openers. Liftmaster and a few others cost more but if I add the time I have spent messing with my Ghost controlit would surpass the cost of a quality product.

Comment

Interesting...since one thing is for certain in that the wind will always eventually blow [emoji848]
                  Makes me wonder now since I’m about to pull the trigger on a Ghost Controls system. Hmmm

I wonder if you added their Zombie Lock system? It would obviously keep the gate in place....and have added security of course.

Comment

I have a ghost as well, never had an issue with my mounts moving (?), they're bolted into a telephone pole post.

Comment

Originally posted by greenflag View Post
                      I have a ghost control opener and it works great unless the wind blows. Their tech service tells me my mounts are moving. Which would have been a good call until I welded them in place and still have the same problem. Hindsight is you get what you pay for with gate openers. Liftmaster and a few others cost more but if I add the time I have spent messing with my Ghost controlit would surpass the cost of a quality product.
                      What is happening?

Comment

We've been sitting on the money for the gate opener but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Planning on US Automatics Patriot. We have a 16' single swing gate that weights about 600 pounds so my options are kinda limited! Getting tired of roof salesman knocking on my door to tell me they can see hail damage from the road but managed to miss the 2 no trespassing signs they drove past to get to my front door.

Comment

I installed a Liftmaster opener on a 6'' wooden post with a lightweight 16' gate and constantly had issues with the limit switches because of all the movement. I fought it for 2 years and finally installed metal posts with a Nice opener. Trouble free for a year now.

I'm not familiar with the Ghost units so they may work well enough on a wooden post.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            We've been sitting on the money for the gate opener but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Planning on US Automatics Patriot. We have a 16' single swing gate that weights about 600 pounds so my options are kinda limited! Getting tired of roof salesman knocking on my door to tell me they can see hail damage from the road but managed to miss the 2 no trespassing signs they drove past to get to my front door.
                            That's the same operator I have on my gate. Ours is ~600-650 pounds and 15' wide. I made sure to use grease-able hinges and we mounted to a 6"x6"x1/4" steel tube on a 3' diameter, 6' deep footing. It held during Harvey and Imelda so I don't think its going anywhere.

OP, If you are game on using a wood post, I would add some cross pieces to the section that will be buried to keep it from twisting/turning in the hole. It doesn't cost much extra to go bigger on the hole and add a bag or two more concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                              We have had the Patriot in for 11 years. It's solar and other than replacing the 12 volt battery twice and the keypad last week, we have had no problems. Gate is 16' with metal art, 3/4" square tubing slats and 1 1/4 frame. Hinges are welded and have grease fittings. The hinge side is 6x6 pipe.
                              Last edited by crxshooter; 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM. Reason: left out message

Comment

Working...
                              X