Commuter Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter Car

I have driven trucks all my life. Now that I'm older I was driving into the office this morning and I got to thinking. I currently drive a F350. Need it on weekends at our working ranch. But, my daily commute is killing it. Day to day I commute from Fort Worth to Dallas. 32 miles 1 way, so not far. But the traffic has gotten so bad and the cost of these trucks is ridiculous. I'm thinking of parking it during the week and finding a 10-12K used something to go back and forth thinking this will make my truck last forever. Anyone else do this? Can you recommend a decent car/crossover? Preferably Diesel

Go for it!! I bought a 2008 Honda Accord in January and have since parked me F250 6.7. I now only drive my truck to the lease, when I need to haul etc. You’re going to get a lot of flack from people about how “trucks are made to be driven”, “it will take you five years to catch up” blah blah blah. I think it’s well worth it. My car costs less than $30 to fill up and I do it every other week. My truck is $60 and I fill up every couple days if I’m driving for work. That doesn’t even factor in oil changes, tires etc which are all outrageous on big trucks. After having this one for almost a year I’ll never not have a commuter car. Do it!!

Comment

During the downturn of O&G in 2015 I bought a Kia Optima -- got roughly 28 MPG (i have a heavy foot) wo

I really enjoyed driving the car through Houston and parking it was a breeze. All things equal I now drive a truck even as a commuter, but i would buy another Kia in a heartbeat, good little car and fun to drive

Comment

Parked my Duramax in 2014 and bought a 2004 4Runner for commuting 52 miles round trip daily. Still driving it today. No regrets.

Comment

If I were you, I would do it. Make sure it's something you enjoy driving daily.

I have an F250. I was getting sick of driving it in Houston traffic. I picked up one of the last Ford Focus ST's last year, and it's a blast to drive. 6 speed, take it to the track on weekends, and it's fast. I routinely beat Camaro's and Mustang GT's around the track. And to and from work, it's as comfortable as anything out there, and 30 mpg, if I drive good.

Admittedly though, I didn't get the commuter to "save money", because you never will once you factor in insurance, fuel, maintenance for two vehicles (Yes you still have to change oil and fuel filters in your truck, even if it just sits), licensing and registration, etc...it's just nice to zip in and out of small area's I could never get into with my truck, and have a smooth ride compared to my 3/4 ton.

Comment

Tagged. Been considering this exact thing.

Comment

King Ranch F250 when I pull horse/steers or drive around town (10 miles/day maybe)

2002 beat to hell Chevy with 300k miles. Use it when I don't want to beat my new truck to hell.

2010 Toyota Corolla, my go-to if I plan to drive more than 20 miles in a day. I've hauled more feed in that car than 95% of every truck on the road. This car is what allows me to keep a truck for years and years.

Comment

I commuted over 50 miles each way for years, finally got smart and went with a commuter for work.
                I have had great luck with Hyundai Elantras. Would pay around 12k for one with less than 20k miles that were certified (buying certified allows the 100k warranty to continue).

Comment

Got me a $2k Impala that gets 26mpg and only drive my F250 when I'm pulling my boat.

Comment

I drive the pizz out of my 06 Ford Focus. Cheap car to buy, drive, insure, and maintain.
                    It's actually kinda fun to drive. Has some pep and is like driving a go-kart LOL.
                    I've hauled all kinds of stuff in the back and it handles gravel roads and a little mud no problem.

Comment

F150 Platinum for lease

Commuter is Ford C-MAX. It gets 35-40 mpg but it is gas.

Comment

Diesel VW Passat!!! 55 MPG

Comment

I bought a 3500 dollar Pontiac vibe with 75k miles on it.. my 1 ton stays under the carport unless I'm hauling my boat or tractor.. I even load my cooler fishing poles and waders in the car during the flounder run so I can make the 45 mile 1 way trip to my fishing spots.. the hatch back and fold down Seats let me get just about anything I need in the car..

Comment

I've been doing it, since 2011. Good luck convincing me it doesnt make sense, because I have saved tons of money, wear and tear on my duramax.

I've heard all kinds of arguments from guys that their ego wont let them drive a car over the years.

I have hauled all kind of corn, deer feed and random stuff in that car. I even have taken it as hunting transportation if the trip allows it. It's made more than a few fishing trips also.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and support. I'm gonna do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X