Step to prep wood for accent wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step to prep wood for accent wall

I found some free wood that I will build an accent wall with in my future kid's nursery. Question prep though...

When I built my deck, I remember having to clean the wood. Do I need to be doing the same for this? I plan on cutting it so each board should yield 2 boards and then planing it down to thickness. Once that is done, I will stain it and treat it.

Do you guys think anything else is necessary?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention power washing also as an option and can't figure out how to edit the first post.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Some DIY shows show they scrub it with stiff bristle brushes as well

Comment

if you are going to plane it down, I don't know why you would scrub or wash it??

Comment

Sand in the wood will kill blades

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
            yea....that is logical...was not thinking

Comment

Isn’t there a problem putting pressure treated inside? I’d be especially concerned in kids room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                Isn’t there a problem putting pressure treated inside? I’d be especially concerned in kids room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I read up on this and found multiple sites that said kt was not a problem. The one that did say it was said that it is OK, but kids put things in their mouth and that's why the recommended not doing this.

I am going to to get down to the meat of the wood and stain and seal it. It's going to be an accent wall so I don't think the kid will try to put it in his mouth. It should be very flush with no edges or pieces sticking out.

Edit: Found a tag on one of them and it is treated #2 prime.
                Last edited by ctom87; 05-12-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I am leaning toward ripping to size, then throwing it in jointer and planer. Should not have sand and dirt issues if doing this I don't think.

I am kinda leaning towards the "why clean the surface if you are going to cut it anyway" method.

Comment

Oops didn't mean to send twice.

Comment

Looks like a lot of work to me. Throw'n Darts and I did one last weekend . It was a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                        this

Comment

Looking forward to pics of finished product!

Comment

Was talked out of using treated lumber since this is going into a kid's nursery.

Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can have this done on Sunday. 1st layer of paint is already up on the walls. Need to do 2nd layer tonight. Found a how-to (not that I needed it other than to show me the most efficient way to do it) on YouTube...shouldn't take too long.

Comment

Was gonna say really dont recommend using pt wood in a nursery or indoors in general. Its treated to stand being outside,otherwise just buy some untreated pine or oak hobby boards. If you do sand/saw the pt boards for something else,wear a mask!

Comment

Working...
                              X