Gun Safe Lock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Safe Lock Question

Do you all prefer electronic or manual locks on your gun safes and why?

what happens if the electronics get fried, like an EMP or surge? Is there a way to open another way?

Better just manual? Thanks for your input

There’s also a manual key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an electronic and never had any problem. A friend of mine that has bad eyes, has the dial type. He cannot see the numbers well enough to dial it correctly most of the time.

Comment

Manual takes to long to open. Electronic is a sure thing. Like said above, there is an over-ride key. I've had mine for almost twenty years and there is no way you would get me to go back to a dial, R2, L3, R2 and it got lost in the spins...............

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
          There’s also a manual key.

Most of those are just to lock the dial to keep people from turning them that shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D483BB49-15CF-4DFF-A1A6-51544E31D765.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	24560520

Just installed today, went with a dial no electronics for me

Comment

changed my e-lock to a mech-dial and it takes me a second longer to open vs electronic. you can set your combination to numbers
              of your liking. sargent and Greenleaf locks are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Most of those are just to lock the dial to keep people from turning them that shouldn’t be.

I have two and both of the are to unlock the door if the electronic fails.

Comment

This summer mine locked me out. I tried to open it I bet 50 times. I got lucky and it opened. Cannon sent a new key pad and mechanism.

Comment

I think someone said the electronic gun safes have a over ride key?
                    My buddy has 4 electronic gun safes he bought brand new. I asked him if he had an over ride key. He said if they had one he didn't get them plus if they do use a over ride key he doesn't know where to stick it in.
                    Last edited by texaspacker; 11-19-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Owner of Glick Twins down here said all his safes on the sale floor with electrical got fried during a thunder storm fwiw...I like the S&G manual dials & do have a safe close to 20yrs that I need to have my locksmith do it's first PM.

I'm sure the others are fine but old school in most cases & feel the mechanical dials on safes are superior to electrical.

Comment

I have worked in electronics for the last 45 years. I wouldn't have anything but a manual lock. Takes a little longer to open but it will never fail. The last thing I want before I go hunting is a safe that won't let me get my guns. Consider taking an international flight and you can't get the safe to open to get out your passport. Electronics are affected by temperature, humidity, heat, cold, static electricity, corrosion and other things. Tell me the value of the lock that has an override key available to the bad guy. No need to even program the numbers! Be sure to bolt that safe down. They are worthless if layed on their back.

Comment

Securam makes a emp safe lock. Digital keypad that also has a dial if keypad goes down.
                          They are about 400.00

Flip up the dial release and go manual

Comment

Originally posted by toaster View Post
                            I have worked in electronics for the last 45 years. I wouldn't have anything but a manual lock. Takes a little longer to open but it will never fail. The last thing I want before I go hunting is a safe that won't let me get my guns. Consider taking an international flight and you can't get the safe to open to get out your passport. Electronics are affected by temperature, humidity, heat, cold, static electricity, corrosion and other things. Tell me the value of the lock that has an override key available to the bad guy. No need to even program the numbers! Be sure to bolt that safe down. They are worthless if layed on their back.

Mechanical DO fail. I had 2 of them fail in a span of 3 years.

Replaced them with AMSEC digital and have been running strong for 8 years. Only one battery change in that time.

Comment

I have a manual, can be in it in 18sec

I would suggest buying quality either way, electronic or manual

Comment

Working...
                              X