Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    Buy the bike used on facebook market place. Bought mine for $40. Works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah I’ve found a few from 5mile and what not. Don’t have Facebook. Figured I’d go check some pawn shops today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=Tiburon1;13801723]
      Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
      Were you the guy with the 4wheeler, that’s an added advantage. We used your sawzall on ours at the cleaning rack. Definitely the way to go. Thanks again and Good meeting you.

Yes, that was me and I remember that 1st evening. That was my buddies sawzall and it was almost as helpful as the 4 wheeler. Bringing 3 nilgai out of the refuge when your truck is several miles away is a killer. That said, I hit my wall the next morning around 9:30 after bringing the next round of nilgai out.

I heard about this during the hunt from a few people. Seems alittle excessive to take that many with the advantage of the 4 wheeler. Theres no way anyone would shoot 5 nilgai in the back of horse island (4 miles each way) if they rode/walked in.

Comment

Nothing this morning. We packed up and headed home as we have a 6hr drive. This was the board when we left this morning.

Comment

[quote=calfroper_06;13802329]
          Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post

I heard about this during the hunt from a few people. Seems alittle excessive to take that many with the advantage of the 4 wheeler. Theres no way anyone would shoot 5 nilgai in the back of horse island (4 miles each way) if they rode/walked in.
          1) That's an interesting statement considering the refuge officials were upset with me throwing in the towel as early as I did. They wanted me to shoot more. I had all I needed to fill my partner's and my freezer plus my leg was killing me. Despite all this meat, I had to shoot two more that I split 3 ways in April (not on LAWR). We go through a lot of wild game meat at my house.
          2) I partially agree with you that "there's no way anyone would shoot 5 nilgai in the back of horse island" as there are not that many on horse island (which is why I did not hunt it) but I would replace "would" with could based on lack of availability combined with limited experience most hunters at LAWR have hunting nilgai. I've been hunting them for 25 years. You pick up a few things that help hunting them.
          3) Unless it's changed this year, you only needed to get the nilgai to the road. The refuge workers were happy to come in and throw them in the back of a Park truck. The first evening one went to grab a huge pig someone had shot.

Anyways, I appreciate the support.

Comment

Sent you a PM, tiburon 1

Comment

Anyone who made the recent hunt miss the 3 pm orientation and able to do it later?

Comment

Originally posted by dannorocks View Post
                Anyone who made the recent hunt miss the 3 pm orientation and able to do it later?
                Yes I did, you just have to watch a video. Takes around 20 min

Comment

Just a quick question and not trying to flame yalls fire. If one guy shot 5 nilgai, am I missing them on the score board? I think I only saw 4 total and no repeat names? Am I missing something?

Comment

He shot 5, last year on the rifle hunt.

Obviously you didnt actually hunt horse island as there has always been a herd of 8-10 in the back. There are larger groups in the back of a few other places that's still 4 miles in. I'm just stating, its almost a garantee kill to hunt off a 4 wheeler, especially a rifle hunt. Especially how the nilgai are in the back.

I'm totally fine helping the handicapped, please dont take that expression from this. But the handicap don't go to the back and slaughter that many and load them whole and bring them out, just a fact.

Comment

Ok Thanks. That’s what I was missing

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                        Yes I did, you just have to watch a video. Takes around 20 min
                        Awesome, good to hear!

Comment

I left last night at 8:00 after getting the meat from my buck. I was entry 25. there were 3 more after that, all hogs.

This was my first time down at LANWR, learned alot...Nilgai are a lot more alert to danger than WT are. The deer have much bigger bodies than what I am used to in the hill country.

Hope to get drawn again. I will make adjustments to my hunting strategy.

I saw a bobcat that had a tracking collar on it. Seems to be alot out there. I saw 3 total.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            I left last night at 8:00 after getting the meat from my buck. I was entry 25. there were 3 more after that, all hogs.

This was my first time down at LANWR, learned alot...Nilgai are a lot more alert to danger than WT are. The deer have much bigger bodies than what I am used to in the hill country.

Hope to get drawn again. I will make adjustments to my hunting strategy.

I saw a bobcat that had a tracking collar on it. Seems to be alot out there. I saw 3 total.

Are you sure it was not an ocelot?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was a bobcat. It had a stubby tail as well.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa

There is some great information being shared on this thread, please keep it going. I will there for the 12/7 archery hunt and it is my first hunt there so I really appreciate the insight. Getting prepared!

Comment

Working...
                                X