Truck bed cargo storage system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody on the GS made their own truck bed cargo storage system?

I am fixing to pull the trigger on building one for my f150; the idea will be to make it with 2x10's as framing/ side walls and 3/4" plywood to enclose top and bottom. Truck bed liner (roll-on stuff from lowes, HD, etc) would be applied to the exterior. Interior will be carpeted.

The main enclosure will be 46.5" x 61.25" and 10" interior height. Gas struts will be used to assist in opening from the top.

Sides of the main enclosure will covered with ploy wood and enclose wheel wells.

I intend to take pictures and post when I start.

I look forward to seeing this. Interesting idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AGMTB07 View Post
      Has anybody on the GS made their own truck bed cargo storage system?

I am fixing to pull the trigger on building one for my f150; the idea will be to make it with 2x10's as framing/ side walls and 3/4" plywood to enclose top and bottom. Truck bed liner (roll-on stuff from lowes, HD, etc) would be applied to the exterior. Interior will be carpeted.

The main enclosure will be 46.5" x 61.25" and 10" interior height. Gas struts will be used to assist in opening from the top.

Sides of the main enclosure will covered with ploy wood and enclose wheel wells.

I intend to take pictures and post when I start.
      Sounds cool. Not sure I would do it with wood, but if that's your material of choice, go for it. I'm guessing this will lay flat and be like a false floor in the bed of the truck? I've seen systems like that made of steel and/or aluminum that are basically drawers. They look pretty neat, but super pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        I look forward to seeing this. Interesting idea.
        X2

Comment

I did something similar in my truck toolbox. Have 2 stackable trays that are about 5" deep with a bunch of compartments

Comment

In for the outcome.

Comment

I figure that if wood is treated and then bed liner material applied, it will be water proof. Biggest issue would be weight, estimating it would be approx 150lbs.

If you were to buy on retail, expect to pay 4 grand minimum. Not my cup of tea

Comment

Here are my sketches of the project.

Comment

Got supplies

Comment

Rough framework. Get idea of dimensions. Wide enough to carry bow case.

Comment

Following.

Comment

Done for the night. Plan for tomorrow: frame, install bottom, caulk between frame and plywood possibly try to roll bed liner on exterior.

Comment

Be careful with bed liner on treated wood. From what i understand, octets is any moisture in the wood, it will rot as the bed liner won't let it escape. I know it doesn't make sense, that's why it's treated, but just what I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                            Be careful with bed liner on treated wood. From what i understand, octets is any moisture in the wood, it will rot as the bed liner won't let it escape. I know it doesn't make sense, that's why it's treated, but just what I've read.
                            Drill holes in the bed so water runs out?

Comment

It's the moisture in the lumber that gets trapped by the bed liner. Once you put the liner on, no external water can touch the wood, but no internal water can evaporate either.

Comment

Working...
                              X