Camper AC guit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper AC guit.

I was setting in the Camper with the AC running. I started to notice a hum and the AC had shut down. I shut it of and turned it back on. Nothing. No fan only or anything. I checked the power, still on.

9 year old Dometic 13000 ducted unit.

My money's on start capacitor. I replaced mine not too long ago. Dirt dobbers had gotten into the compartment and probably shorted it out. I ended up replacing all three capacitors, since it's not much more trouble to replace them all as one and they were all the same age.

Edit: I don't think my fan ever quit, though. So I could be way off base.
    Last edited by Snakelover; 08-11-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Carey birdwell, if spelled right, is the camper expert on this site if I remember correctly. He can usually give good advice

Comment

I agree, Carey is the man.

Comment

were you on generator or house current?

if generator...may want to check to see if it is producing enough juice.

Comment

House current

Comment

Microwave light on?

Comment

Sounds like the fan motor.

Comment

Fan spins free but i guess it count be out.

Comment

A way to test if it is a capacitor is to take the top shroud off, turn the unit on and give the fan a good spin by hand. If the fan starts, then it's the capacitor. At least that's the way I diagnosed mine.
                    Last edited by ecallarman; 08-11-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I can't get on it until Saturday morning. It is to hot to get on that rubber in the afternoon.

Comment

Does the tstat have power?

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
                          A way to test if it is a capacitor is to take the top shroud off, turn the unit on and give the fan a good spin by hand. If the fan starts, then it's the capacitor. At least that's the way I diagnosed mine.
                          Yes, it sounds like a fan cap. You are probably hearing the compressor humming. Have someone turn the fan on, get on top, and spin the fan blade. If it takes off, it the capacitor, it not, probably the fan.

Every once in a while, especially on dometic a/c. If you have a ducted system, it could be your relay boards. I actually replace more relay boards on Dometic systems, and I replace more fan motors & capacitor on Coleman system

Good Luck

Comment

Campers are crazy. 12 volt controls the thermostat to the heater and a/c. Might try a battery charger to the camper battery. I know it's strange.

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question for Carey. On the ac on my brothers boat, (I am a 40 yr ac tech) which is a heat pump, when the unit shuts down, after 10 seconds or so, it appears that the orifice that is in the LL a few inches out of the condenser coil, releases pressure, sounds like the reversing valve, but all the lines there stay at the temp they were at shutdown. Now I assumed the orifice that is crimped in the LL is just a fixed orifice, so I wonder why there is a pressure release after shutdown. The unit cools just fine, but the noise at each shutdown sounds like the reversing valve shifts . I watched several cycles, and it is definitely coming from the orifice.

And OP, surely sounds like the fan capacitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X