School me on Scope Reticles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Scope Reticles

It’s been a minute or two since I bought a new scope. Started doing research and noticed pretty quickly that things have changed. Big time. I’m used to a plain old duplex reticle, then estimating hold over for longer shots. With that said, I’m turning to the GS for some opinions and education on the new stuff. Anything in particular I should consider? Pros and cons?

Thanks a bunch

I've looked at a bunch of different ones and to me there's too much going on.
    I hav mainly used a duplex. I did have a Nikon 3x32 Carine scope ony AR when I first got it. It had a BDC reticle. I wasn't bad.
    I kinda like the looks of German #1.

I'm not much help

Comment

What type of rifle (and which cartridge) are you mounting it on and what is your typical style of gun hunting?

There is definitely a bunch of new stuff out there but if you aren't shooting long range, dialing elevation, holding with MIL or MOA then you may not need all the newest reticles, dials, etc etc.

I don't think the average rifle hunter needs a super complicated scope. Now- if you are getting into longer distance shooting you may want to look into the various reticles that allow for holdovers, windage and elevation knobs that allow for easy return to zero but easily adjust for your conditions.

I think the Leupold VX5HD and Zeiss V4 are two of the best values for great glass, good but simple reticle options and the ability for the average guy/hunter to work dials if he needs to for those longer shots.

Comment

This scope will go on a bolt action rifle chambered in 257 WM. Hunting style will be 80% stand sitting and 20% spot and stalk. 400 - 500 yard shots will be around my max. Primarily whitetail sized game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
          I've looked at a bunch of different ones and to me there's too much going on.
          I hav mainly used a duplex. I did have a Nikon 3x32 Carine scope ony AR when I first got it. It had a BDC reticle. I wasn't bad.
          I kinda like the looks of German #1.

I'm not much help
          I am more inclined to the German #4 ( never really liked my grandpa’s post scope)

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
            This scope will go on a bolt action rifle chambered in 257 WM. Hunting style will be 80% stand sitting and 20% spot and stalk. 400 - 500 yard shots will be around my max. Primarily whitetail sized game.

A basic mil or MOA hash reticle (no tree) should suffice for everything you want to do. I recommend capped windage and exposed elevation for ease of use.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              A basic mil or MOA hash reticle (no tree) should suffice for everything you want to do. I recommend capped windage and exposed elevation for ease of use.

Sierracharlie out…
              Have to agree with this reccomendation

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Either of the German reticles are good for shooting pigs in dim lighting or at lighted feeders. I think they would be better than my Leupold Heavy Duplex which is just fine as well. Judging hold-over with them is iffy. With the duplex you have two easy reference points--the intersection of the crosshairs and the beginning of the heavy section of the lower post. You do need to know the difference in impact between the two spots however but that isn't hard to do, just shoot two groups at 100 using the two points and measure the difference. Then you need to go to some sort of ballistic calculator to see what your trajectory would be with the difference.

Comment

See above from SC338! I have the same set up, .257bee and it gets used the same way. Here is my thoughts on two great Hunting scopes for that purpose, great glass, lightweight, good

I think the Swarovski Z5 series with their ballistic turret is hard to beat on that gun. With a 115gr VLD @ 3400fps I zero at 200 yards and then there are three distinct rings that I can turn to quickly for different ranges out to 500 yards. AND- for the price the glass is phenomenal!! No questions on dialing- just select the red, yellow or green ring that set for that distance.

I think another great option would be the VX6HD 3-18x with a TMOA reticle. I really like the CDS-ZL2 dial and the TMOA is great for holdovers without being too busy for a hunting reticle.

Comment

I’m a huge fan of the ballistic reticles. Have your yardages marked and throw it up and shoot. Much easier than clicks

Click image for larger version

Name:	AB845742-4CCD-45CE-A7C3-F1DE2A07640D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	24583603

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      I’m a huge fan of the ballistic reticles. Have your yardages marked and throw it up and shoot. Much easier than clicks

[ATTACH]961351[/ATTACH]

Just remember - a Ballistic Holdover reticle needs to be on maximum magnification to coincide with yardages that’s listed for. Anything short of maximum magnification increases the yardage drops exponentially.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

[ATTACH]961351[/ATTACH]
                        Yes...This!

Comment

If you use ballistic reticles print tables with various magnification. In a hunting situation you should only use enough magnification to do the job,that way your field of view can be as large as possible.

Comment

Check out parts 1-3 of this blog post on scopes, their technology and reticles. It will help you find what is right for you!

With that .257wby you'll be well suited with a simple reticle that allows for up to a 5 MOA hold which is all you need to reach 500 yards!

Primal Rights, an online long-range store, has posted up an excellent primer on the differences between first and second focal plane scopes.

Comment

Working...
                            X