No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Deer hunting or pig hunting at night? AR or bolt action?
    Prefer Bolt action, using mainly for deer and pigs but wanting something for bigger game like elk, axis, aoudad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
      My budget...well I don’t want to cheap out on a set-up but I don’t want to break the bank either. I was looking at a Winchester model 70 featherweight with a Nikon 4-16x42. That set-up will run me around $1300. I’m iffy about the wooden stock in bad weather but I don’t really like the look and feel of a synthetic stock.
      That will be a great set up! Savage models 16 11 or 10, Browning xbolt, Tikka T3, Winchester 70s. I heave read lots of good things about the bergara and Kimber rifles as well. I hate to say it but I am still pretty leery of the Remington 700s and all the quality control issues and recalls they have had. Anymore these days you can go cheaper on the rifle and more expensive on the glass. Sounds like you are going with a prostaff 7 or monarch 3 line of Nikon which would be great. The bigger the tube and objective the more light transmission you get.
      Scopes the level of Nikons you are looking at, Vortex vipers, leupold VX3, Sightron STac all are great. I would not buy an optic unless it was made in USA, Japan, European Counties, or lowest Philipines stay away from Chinese stuff. If your mainly going to be sitting in a blind over a feeder or food plot a few hundred dollar 3-9x40 and a $400 rifle will work great and spending $700 total would work fine. I have spent some time with the lower end ruger American, Remington 783, savage axis and they are all accurate and have even shown to by 1000 capable rifles. Personally I would not worry about the weather on the stock as much as I would about all the dinks an dents and scratches that will show up on it.
      If you are going to be out and about on spot and stalk hunts the one you are looking at or a tikka T3, savage 11 or 10, browning xbolt, all have some goo lighter weight models and some come with a threaded muzzle and a muzzle brake. I like to shoot as much as I can so I am all for having muzzle brakes so I don't bruise my shoulder and to stay on target when shooting longer ranges.

Comment

I was eyeballin that M70 Extreme Weather Stainless on Bud's Guns yesterday. $1k and some change. It has the Bell-Carson stock on it. Looks allsome!

.308 is good for anything in North America and recoil is minimal....my 8 & 12 yo moved up to it this year. Best round ever made.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65H3nCKIzM"]#SundayGunday: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - YouTube[/ame]
        Last edited by Traildust; 02-01-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          I was eyeballin that M70 Extreme Weather Stainless on Bud's Guns yesterday. $1k and some change. It has the Bell-Carson stock on it. Looks allsome!

.308 is good for anything in North America and recoil is minimal....my 8 & 12 yo moved up to it this year. Best round ever made.
          Same one I got absolutely love it

Mine has timmney trigger and McMillan stock

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
            Same one I got absolutely love it

Mine has timmney trigger and McMillan stock
            ( drool )

Comment

All 4 of my sons as well as myself shoot .308's. All are older Remington 700's and XP-100's. The round is excellent from shorter barrels as our Specialty pistols are 13" and the rifles 17-19". So many options for reloading as well as countless factory loads to pick from. Will kill anything in North America just fine and there will always be an ample supply of ammunition.
              Cant go wrong as far as I'm concerned with a quality bolt action in .308 Win.

Comment

Do you care about weight?

Remington 5r with best glass you can top it with

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Remington 700 SPS with Harvester suppressor and a Vortex 3-9X. Nice shooting gun supersonic or subsonic.

Comment

I have a Remington 5R for sale in the classifieds with a Timney trigger, Larue 20MOA base and Trijicon 5-20 scope. Also including a load of ammo. Check it out! The guns a shooter but it just sits in the safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Rem 700 and a box of 165 Corelokt.
                      Yep

Comment

Remington SPS Tactical 16” (Google Remington 85538) with 2.5-10x Vortex Viper HS. Entire setup will run you about $1000. Some complain about the Hogue stock but I kinda like mine. Shooting 168 grain Hornady BTHP it can keep the entire magazine in a 8” pie plate at 500 yards with the help of a Caldwell lead sled. Or......just buy the Larue rifle kit for about $500 more and you will have the most awesome rifle at your lease.

Comment

Surprised at all the Remington recommendations. I’d go with tikka or ruger American in their respective price points

Comment

Take em has a tikka stainless 308 for sale on here for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

what does he want for it?

Comment

I got a rem 700 adl in 308
                                I have a buddy that swears by his that handloads and shoots a lot. He convinced me to snag a 308 so we could cook some stuff up and compete a little bit on the range.
                                I put a good burris 4x14 I had on it, replaced the stock with a Grayboe and slapped a BDL conversion kit in the bottom (bottom metal).
                                cant get the hot 125 grs to group great but off the shelf 150s shoot just fine.
                                solid caliber with a wide range of options when it comes to ammo

Comment

Working...
                                X