Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subtalar Joint Fusion (heal bone fused to the ankle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtalar Joint Fusion (heal bone fused to the ankle)

Was wondering if anyone has ever had this surgery and what I can expect.

Looks like hunting season took a turn for me!

Back in 2001 I had a car accident and basically crushed my Heal bone the calcaneus. I have 8 screws and a plate in my heal.

Fast forward to now, basically arthritis has taken over and making the pain pretty bad not to mention there is probably no cartilage left. So basically the procedure would fuse my calcaneus to my talar joint which is the bottom part of the ankle where the Fibia comes in.

Been told it will be at least two to three month recovery. Wondering if anyone has had it done and how they feel now. Movement? Pain?

Thanks in advance.

Had the procedure done in 2009 and while I'm thankful I got it repaired I still have the joint pain associated with the original injury.
    They've told me that the joint in front needs to be fused as well. I was horizontal for a couple months after surgery and therapy didn't do what I'd hoped. Discovered later that I had arthritis in the other joint mentioned. I have good days and bad but not as painful as before surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
      Had the procedure done in 2009 and while I'm thankful I got it repaired I still have the joint pain associated with the original injury.
      They've told me that the joint in front needs to be fused as well. I was horizontal for a couple months after surgery and therapy didn't do what I'd hoped. Discovered later that I had arthritis in the other joint mentioned. I have good days and bad but not as painful as before surgery.
      How old were you when you had it done?

Did you have previous injury?

Comment

I was 47 when I had the operation and had a degenerative bone on the front of my ankle that was causing alot of my pain. My ankle was turned inward and my arch was all but gone. The dr realigned the foot and ankle. Took two 5½in titanium screws one in front down into ankle and one through heel and up into ankle.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
          I was 47 when I had the operation and had a degenerative bone on the front of my ankle that was causing alot of my pain. My ankle was turned inward and my arch was all but gone. The dr realigned the foot and ankle. Took two 5½in titanium screws one in front down into ankle and one through heel and up into ankle.
          Ok thanks for info.

I was 32 with first surgery and im 50 now. They will have to take out the 8 screws and plate and put two new ones in.

Comment

On The show “Farm her” on RFDTV was an episode about a lady that I believe went through this.

Comment

Season 3 , episode 24, Carey Portell

Comment

Yep

As a foot doc, get it done

Crush injuries of the heel bone is a devastating injury that leads to STJ fusion 50% of the time. Fusion of the joint works well. You loose very little motion in the back of the foot by the procedure. Usually they will respect out the joint and put 1-2 screws across the joint. The put them in from the bottom of the heel.

Recovery time. Don’t get in a hurry 6-8 weeks before you start walking on it

10-12 weeks before you go back to a shoe

Will take 8-12 months before you get back to normal activities with out a daily reminder

Comment

Ask them if they can try to do the fusion without taking out the screws and plate. Sometimes you can place the screws under live xray guidance and they will run in between the existing screws. Why I say this is because the side of the heel incision is the one that has a tendency to open up after surgery.

Comment

Many times you have to do a triple arthrodesis which is a fusion of three joints. Recovery is the same and mobility in the Rearfoot is the same. If you have arthritis in these joints, go ahead and have it all done

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                      Ask them if they can try to do the fusion without taking out the screws and plate. Sometimes you can place the screws under live xray guidance and they will run in between the existing screws. Why I say this is because the side of the heel incision is the one that has a tendency to open up after surgery.
                      He did say he was going to take out all the old hardware, I was wondering about that as well because I figured it would make extend the healing time.

It is really weird because it hasn't bothered me this much for 18 years and now all of the sudden it hurts everyday and some days can't stand on it. It would/does hurt just lying in bed. Some days it hurts more than others but the last few weeks just everyday.

Ya not looking forward to the recovery time and adjustments I need to make at my job. The original surgery I was no weight bearing for about 4 to 5 months but at least I could take the walking cast off and on this I understand will require a hard cast. That is what I am worried about with a hard cast on having that huge incision. I know the last time I had to keep it clean and rinse it.

Kind of wish they would have just down this procedure when the initial one was done.

I really appreciate your response.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the upcoming procedure....will keep you in my prayers that everything goes well. Also, very cool to have a forum that includes a flipn foot doc...WHO KNEW?!?!!

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
                          Sorry to hear about the upcoming procedure....will keep you in my prayers that everything goes well. Also, very cool to have a forum that includes a flipn foot doc...WHO KNEW?!?!!
                          Thanks! I appreciate the prayers.

Never a good time but hunting season ouch!! I hoping to be back for part of lake season next summer. I do like to wakesurf.

Comment

New reality for next couple months!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Don't look like any fun to me. I have all types of knee damage, from what I have heard and read, ankle injuries seem to have the potential to be pretty bad. Meaning long term recovery, potential for multiple problems. I am pretty sure I have multiple broken bones in my left foot, but no ankle damage, thankfully. The broken bones have causes problems over the years, but have not bothered me at all for about five years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X