X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old deer 8 plus...

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      If that deer showed up on my place with no history... I wouldn't have a clue how old to call him. Since he is your deer i really don't know. He looks 3 to me but the set of his legs says possible age. Has a dent in his forehead and that always means age. His chest is deeper than his waist. Man I dunno.
      First year on the place, if he’s ancient he’s going to die of old age. I’m not going to risk shooting him and bringing that deer to camp as a 3 year old.. Hope he’s 3 and has 2 years to grow.

Comment

8-9

Comment

All of you guys saying ancient have got to be kidding. An old deer has loose saggy skin in the brisket area, loose skin under their chin. And their ears get huge and saggy not perky. No one or no deer can hide from gravity.... just go ask your wife

Comment

that blackbuck doe got out the way.. she knew what was coming

Comment

I would call him 3-4

Comment

His Hocks are sure black to be just 3 he looks like he has a injury on that left front shoulder

Comment

Usually older deer have calluses on there knees I don’t see any.

Comment

Where are you hunting that has 150 inch "3" year olds??

Comment

Skim.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        Where are you hunting that has 150 inch "3" year olds??
                        excellent point mentioned here. There was a study a few years ago on aging deer. It was part of the South Texas Deer Project in the late 90's and early 2000's. one of the best "features" to judge age was score of the antlers.
                        Last edited by ar3731guy; 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
                          excellent point mentioned here. There was a study a few years ago on aging deer. It was part of the South Texas Deer Project in the late 90's and early 2000's. one of the best "features" to judge age was score of the antler.
                          Well I NEVER age a deer by his antlers. I've just seen a lot of guys on here (NOT pointing a finger at the OP) mention seeing a 150" 3 year old, or a 140" 2 year old...and I've NEVER seen that. Well at least not on low fence places. And I've covered a lot of ground. FTR, I think this deer is likely old. He's got something that's a little "off". Now if he's a pen deer or something, then all bets are off.

Comment

that deer don't move like a young deer

Comment

Very strange combination of young and old characteristics. No clue

Comment

I don't see an old deer, but I don't think he's a 3yo. I'd buy a 4yo w/ that headgear, body type combo.
                                Nothing about that venado looks post mature to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X