Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KUIU or Sitka Rain Gear String Clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUIU or Sitka Rain Gear String Clearance?

So this past September in Colorado I got stuck waiting on an exposed face for some big mule deer to leave their beds. My only wind breaker was my cheap rain gear, so I threw it on. Twenty minutes later, I missed a monster buck. There were multiple things wrong with the shot. It was longer than I thought, and I rushed it a bit, but I also had a little gremlin in my ear saying the rain gear was gonna catch my string, and I think I was a little under drawn (I hadn't shot with it on, cause I'm stupid ).

After the buck ran off I retried the shot with a blunt and slapped the crap out of the rain jacket btw.

So, fun annecdote told, I'm looking to buy a really good rain jacket, and I want it to work with my bow. Has anyone got experience with the KUIU Chugach or Sitka Cloudburst rain gear? Is it fairly form fitting in the sleeves and chest?

Oh yeah, and since I know you wanna know...
    Meet the lucky buck!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BAE1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	25197115

Name:	BAE2.jpg
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	25197116

Name:	BAE3.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	25197117

KUIU Chugash is great! I’ve elk hunted in the pouring down rain and never had an issue.

Comment

That's good to hear! My question is particularly about the cut though. Does it have a pretty tight forearm so it can clear the string well?

Comment

I have the Sitka thunderhead, it’s super quiet, and actually annoyingly tight in the forearms. I wish I would have bought one size up for that very reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the problem with quality gear. It's hard to find a place to try before you buy and buying online can leave you in a bad size easily.

Gary

Comment

Precisely why I shop at Goodwill !!!! Sorry!

Comment

I have the sitka flash pullover for pretty much the exact situation you're describing. I got caught in a pop up shower in CO in September and it worked great to keep me dry. I don't know how it would work during extended rain, but the 20 minutes we got rained on it worked well, plus its windproof and weighs almost nothing. Its the performance cut and it stays out of the way pretty well. Mountain Archery has them on sale for about 50% off right now.

Comment

I have some Sitka Fanatic gear. I normally wear large. According to Sitka and my research they run a little small. However I also need that solid fit for string clearance. In the backyard is one thing but in a tree stand or blind where everything isn't perfect well. So it had me wondering and I decided to obtain an extra large vest . . .
                Turns out the large was the best option.
                Now I'm not saying I couldn't stand to loose a few pounds around the waist but the large is the better choice for me.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by uttlc View Post
                  I have the sitka flash pullover for pretty much the exact situation you're describing. I got caught in a pop up shower in CO in September and it worked great to keep me dry. I don't know how it would work during extended rain, but the 20 minutes we got rained on it worked well, plus its windproof and weighs almost nothing. Its the performance cut and it stays out of the way pretty well. Mountain Archery has them on sale for about 50% off right now.
                  And I see the mountain jacket on sale on Camofire today too...

So many choices. I think I'd better get to Cabelas and try some gear on.

Comment

I have a chugach and an ultra rain jacket. I can shoot my recurve no problem with either of them on. They have the cut figured out pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      This is the problem with quality gear. It's hard to find a place to try before you buy and buying online can leave you in a bad size easily.

Gary
                      You can always return the item.

Comment

I use the sleeve type armguards to pull the sleeve in tight around my arm. They are light weight and quick to take on and off.

The good rain gear is expensive and I like it loose enough so that I can layer underneath depending on the temperature/conditions.

John

Comment

I went to Cabela's here in Fort Worth today and the Sitka selection is really lacking. They had some Fanatice and some Incinerator. Jackets and bibs only. It was kinda sad.

Gary

Comment

Kuiu decided it for me with their big sale. We'll see how it fits.

Comment

Keep some rubber bands on your quiver hood.
                              They are great in a pinch to keep garmets tight.

Comment

Working...
                              X