Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What distance do you regularly practice from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What distance do you regularly practice from?

So I still can't shoot (forearm tendon tear), but anxious to get back into practicing. That said, the guy I normally practice with is a compound shooter, so inevitably I start practicing primarily at 10 yds. Then 15. Then 20. Which is all well and good but I walk away feeling like I don't have great consistency, and I know part of it is those ranges with a recurve. I also know I probably need to tune my setup a little better for those ranges compared to 10 yds and under.

I'd have to say, my primary practice distance is rooted in 30 yards (point on distance), with a sprinkling of below 30, and out to 50 thrown in.

Practice sessions at my point on distance as the root, with a few shorter & longer thrown in helps me to get/keep a handle on my gaps & sight picture, but I shoot quite a bit anywhere from 50 to 100 yards as well.

Rick

Comment

don't rush it, but when you are physically ready, start practicing at unreasonably long ranges to get better at the close ranges,,, it forces better concentration and muscle control,,,, using a compound I like to practice at 100 yards and even farther,, because after that shooting 40 and closer is a breeze...

so if a long shot with a recurve is 20 yards,, practice at 30 if you have a safe back stop

Comment

The majority of my practice is from 15 - 20 yards. But I do shoot out to 30 or so yards and some around 10 yards. Those 10 - 12 yards shots seem real easy after several shots at 30. I'll usually scatter 4 or 5 arrows from 15 to 25 yards and start shooting.

Comment

During deer season I shoot 12-15 yards. 3D season is 10-30.

Comment

I start at 20 yds and then random distances from there down.

Comment

Most of my practice is at random distances from 10 - 20 yards from different positions. I also will throw in some longer distances.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                During deer season I shoot 12-15 yards. 3D season is 10-30.
                This.

Gary

Comment

I shoot out to 17 yards at home. That's as far as I can get. But I generally spend several months of the year shooting at a shop so I can at least practice at 20. Distance shooting is really good for developing consistency.

If you can shoot consistently small groups at 20-30 yards you know your shot is pretty repeatable. If you want to be a great shot, it probably would help to practice at 40-60 yards on a regular basis.

Insist on achieving consistency. Accuracy will follow.

Comment

5-28 yards for me, across the street next to the curb is 28, and the majority is after dark, after dark really helps me focus on a spot too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually start at 20 yards and work my way out.

Comment

From mid-summer through deer season I practice like I hunt - seated, with shots from 12 to 18 yards. I want to have supreme confidence and be automatic from those distances. Like others have said after the season when preparing for 3d I stretch it out to distances I am likely to encounter on the course. I can shoot out to about 45 in my backyard which I do from time to time just because it's fun.

Comment

My back yard is 22 yds fence to fence. I have a 50 yd range at work. I like to practice at 40-50yds. Makes the 20 yd shots EZ!

Comment

5, 10, 15 and 20, mix it up constantly for 'readiness' at any range (that plus I cannot hit a barn door at 30 yards, but then again never trained to)

i use hoyt satori recurve

Comment

Now when I shoot its 20-30
                              When I lived in AZ I had a 90 yard range at my house and shot mostly 60-90

Comment

Working...
                              X