Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Default Shingles Vaccine

Can you get it if you're under 60? Google and old threads here are mixed so curious about first hand experience before I go see a doc (got antiviral meds at rediclinic yesterday, they weren't sure about the shot). I don't care about insurance coverage if that is the issue. Only two fairly mild cases, one now and one 15 years ago, but would be the best $200 I ever spent if it keeps this evil **** at bay. I also read it only lasts for around 5 years, which again I have 0 problem with if I can just get it again.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Can you get it if you're under 60? Google and old threads here are mixed so curious about first hand experience before I go see a doc (got antiviral meds at rediclinic yesterday, they weren't sure about the shot). I don't care about insurance coverage if that is the issue. Only two fairly mild cases, one now and one 15 years ago, but would be the best $200 I ever spent if it keeps this evil **** at bay. I also read it only lasts for around 5 years, which again I have 0 problem with if I can just get it again.

Yes you can. I had shingles twice and got the vaccine after the first time cleared up. Many get it again after the vacation but it is milder and doesnít last as long.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Sure you can, I did, best money I ever spent(so far).
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Wife and myself just got ours,said they lower the age to 50 now for the vaccine shots.
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I finally got around to getting my first one yesterday - will go back in a few months for round two. Vaccines usually don't bother me much but man is my arm sore! It sure beats having an outbreak though
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

I was at the Dr a week ago and asked about the vaccine...I turned 50 back in December...she told me there are two vaccines out there...the original innoculation was a one time shot and was only 60% effective...she told me about the newest shot that's 90-95% effective, and it's a two time shot...get one, come back 6months later for #2...that's gonna be the route I take...too many folks I know have gotten shingles and it tore them up...one of the persons was a 45 yr old fellow that works with me...don't need that stuff...it had him layed up for a month at least...
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Had it on my shoulder blade about 15 years ago. forehead this time. Working outside Saturday probably didn't help much. Was hoping it wasn't shingles but woke up to the blisters starting yesterday. 1 gram antiviral 3 times a day for a week. looks a bit lighter today, hasn't spread any more, it just needs to heal. Tingling and itches pretty bad today. Of course its the week i have to give a couple presentations at work...
Old 08-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I finally got around to getting my first one yesterday - will go back in a few months for round two. Vaccines usually don't bother me much but man is my arm sore! It sure beats having an outbreak though
Ours hurt for about 3 days,couldn't even lay on that side,the follow up shot made me feel like I was catching the flue,ache's and chill's,didn't bother my wife,your right still beats a outbreak.
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
texasair
Eight Point

Shingles is no fun, but the shot had soreness and flu like after effects for a day or 2 as mentioned above.
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I gave myself one as a 60th birthday present to myself. Mine was only one injection but that was 5 years ago. Fortunately, I have never had that dreaded stuff but it sure tears folks up.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

The new vaccine it's called Shingrix. You can get it after 50.
I'm on week 4 with shingles and let me tell you something. Had I known it was this bad I would have gotten a whole barrel full.
I cannot describe how debilitating this is. Trust me you don't want shingles and I could use some prayer.
Bobby

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
ladrones
Pope & Young

I have a script for the shot I cannot fill. My insurance plan wonít cover it for three more years. I have tried to buy it outright but there is a waiting list.
I guess I can run down to Juarez and get one.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #13
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I was at the Dr a week ago and asked about the vaccine...I turned 50 back in December...she told me there are two vaccines out there...the original innoculation was a one time shot and was only 60% effective...she told me about the newest shot that's 90-95% effective, and it's a two time shot...get one, come back 6months later for #2...that's gonna be the route I take...too many folks I know have gotten shingles and it tore them up...one of the persons was a 45 yr old fellow that works with me...don't need that stuff...it had him layed up for a month at least...

Iím almost 47 and I get the shingles internally. Feels like my chest is on fire when it shows. Since I have chronic respiratory failure, the shingles show up after a course of antibiotic treatment for the respiratory issues.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I got on a waiting list for the shot at my closest Walgreens. It took 2-3 months but they called me and the pharmacist gave it to me.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County & South Africa

I walked right into my local HEB, (A)not knowing if I could get it, (B)if insurance would cover it, and (C)more than willing to pay whatever it cost me to get the shot. I got it right then, right there, and my insurance covered it completely. Like jerp said, my arm was sore for a couple of days, after both shots, but I'll take that over an outbreak of shingles anytime.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
texashunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell Co, San Saba Co

Im 52 and just got my first one, get my next one in about 3 weeks. Think I had all the side effects the next day for about 12 hours. Talk about a sore arm a few hours later and fever with aching joints the next day, felt a bad case of the flu. Once the fever broke, everything went back to normal.
texashunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Two different vaccines---Shingrix, and Zostavax. I got 'em both.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
jrshuman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton county

I’m only 34 and I actually got shingles last year. It was on my face, including the inside of my eye lid. I had extreme shooting pain going across my eye lid and my eye swole most of the way shut. They gave me acyclovir(I think) and it knocked it out fairly quick. I would highly recommend the vaccine over shingles
jrshuman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Thanks everyone. Yeah Iím 35. On my forehead doc was worried about progression toward my eye. Thankfully went up and is looking a touch better.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Czechoholic
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
^^^This

Shingrix
Czechoholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #21
Aggie Dad
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I got on a waiting list for the shot at my closest Walgreens. It took 2-3 months but they called me and the pharmacist gave it to me.
This was my experience also. Vaccine was on back order for several months. Finally got the call from my local Walgreens that it was available. Got first injection late spring & booster about a month ago. Arm was pretty sore for about a day after both injections.
Aggie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top