After reading “ Battery Blew Up”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading “ Battery Blew Up”

Went to check my boat batteries after reading about the battery that blew up. Wow. I keep my onboard 3 bank charger on all the time, thinking this was ok for maintaining charge. Last month when I checked on them 2 of the trolling batteries were extremely low on water. I refilled with distilled water and didn’t give it another thought. These 2 batteries are about 3 years old. I did notice after a day of fishing it was taking about 4 days before my charger indicated batteries were charged. So yesterday I decided to check water levels and when pulling off the caps I noticed the batteries were hot to the touch. Immediately shut down charger, pulled batteries and replaced with new Interstates. Only took a couple of hours for charge indicator to show fully charged and batteries were cool to the touch. Think I got lucky. Glad I stumbled on the story of exploding batteries. Thanks. Oh, I don’t think I will allow my onboard charger to run continuously anymore. Will immediately charge after day of fishing and shut down.

Glad it worked out. While overcharging is definitely a thing, there are awesome chargers on the market that monitor, desulfate, and float charge, enabling you to in fact leave them on charge indefinitely.

The Lifelines in my travel trailer right now are about six years old and were left on my charger for almost the entire three years we lived in Germany.

BatteryMINDers' desulfating battery charger maintainers fully charge without ever overcharging, no matter how long they are left connected. Visit our website to browse our available products.

Comment

I dont leave my onboard charger on after cooking some new batteries.

I plug in for 3 or 4 days then off for a couple weeks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Never water - distilled white vinegar will give you extra life...............

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Really

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Over charging, can be worse for batteries than not being charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                Really

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                I ain't puttin' vinegar in my batteries..I've never heard this,ever..And my grandfather made his living off batteries,generators,electric motors,and such.He babied those electric forklift batteries..Put water in em with a turkey baster.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

HHmm... I was always told distilled water and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                  X