Speed vs. poundage Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed vs. poundage Q?

Lowfence's thread about the Destroyer 350 got me thinking. So that bow is pushing a 400 grain arrow at 322 fps at 72 lbs. I am shooting some ASA 3D's which have a speed limit of 280. I have always heard you loose about 2 fps for each pound of draw weight reduced. All things the same, is it relatively accurate to guesstimate that the 350 could be set at 52 lbs and still have an arrow speed of 282'ish?

My current Guardian is set at 72 lbs, 405 +/- grain arrow with 30 DL shooting right at 288. It seems almost silly to keep pullin 72# to get 280'ish when the 350 will do it at 52#.

What am I missing Gents? Or is the 350 that much better?

Thanks!

I dont know about 280's at 52# but I can tell you that set at 28" draw and 65# with a 467g arrow it was hitting 267fps

Comment

I shoot a Z7 at 50# 28" draw and 270 gr arrow at 283fps.

Comment

I shoot the new Darton 3800 and at 55# with a 298gr arrow I get 305fps. with a 405 gr 285fps.

Comment

Wow without string work that would put the z7 at an ibo speed of 349 add a prep and a loop and that's around 354ish. Didn't know the z7 was that fast?

Comment

My bad I thought you said 370 grain reread and seen 270

Comment

Probably not. The arrow weight and spine would have to go down with the poundage decrease, but you could shoot a LOT less than 72 and get a high speed. You could also drop about 50-60 grains in arrow weight with your current set up and get some ridiculous speeds from it at 72 with 30DL!! Your gonna find out that running right up against the 288 speed limit is nto a good idea, since when it gets hot outside your bow will actually shoot faster resulting in a DQ! Most folks sit at about 285 so they have some room to work with. And I would bet that at 68-69 you could get there easy with your 400+gr arrow or you could shoot a 350ish arrow at 65 and still crank them out!

Comment

To shoot an ASA event, you may be able to drop the poundage and not be completely overspined. But to drop a 70# bow to 52# might cause the limb bolts to be backed out too far, and the bow might shoot poorly too.

If it was me, I'd try to leave the bow alone and really increase the weight of the arrows. Try pieces of balsa wood, or fish tank tubing 'lubed up' with armorall put to get to 280 inside from the nock end. Best ideas I've got.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I guess my ultimate question is that if there are bows out there that will spit an arrow out at 280 fps at 60 lbs, why am I pullin 72? I may try playing with arrow weight to get my current rig draw down while keeping 280 fps.

Plus, I can't help it, I'm never satisfied with my toys, I gotta tinker with everything. The whole "is there a better mousetrap" question I guess

BTW - I love this new forum!

Comment

I have been shooting 60# since 2004, only because I feel no need to shoot more. I can draw much, much, much more but find no need to.

When I was shooting a hunting arrow and a 3-D arrow:
                    BowTech Allegiance
                    63# @ 28"
                    hunting-373gr. shoots 274fps with a loaded string
                    3-D arrow- 312gr. 311-312fps

Now I just shoot all hunting arrows (with my quiver on) I want to be the best I can be when the time comes. I know the exact trajectory of my arrow, which helps shooting one pin. My past bows have all been set up to shoot between 275-280 and when my new bow comes in, it will be set as close to the same as possible. I just like that speed (its what I'm use to)

Comment

I don't know if this will be any help to you but I shoot Victory xringers Hv with a total weight of 350 grains. My Bow is A Hoyt Ultra-Elite. I have a 30 inch draw. I am pulling 57 pounds and shooting 283-284 fps.

Comment

hoyt maxxis 35, 74lbs, 31 inch draw, maxima 350- 375 grains, ripcord rest 324fps trough a good chron!!! im very impressed with the speed and love the new bow!!

Comment

I'm with ya here...and I thought KE was most important anyhow?

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          I have been shooting 60# since 2004, only because I feel no need to shoot more. I can draw much, much, much more but find no need to.

When I was shooting a hunting arrow and a 3-D arrow:
                          BowTech Allegiance
                          63# @ 28"
                          hunting-373gr. shoots 274fps with a loaded string
                          3-D arrow- 312gr. 311-312fps

Now I just shoot all hunting arrows (with my quiver on) I want to be the best I can be when the time comes. I know the exact trajectory of my arrow, which helps shooting one pin. My past bows have all been set up to shoot between 275-280 and when my new bow comes in, it will be set as close to the same as possible. I just like that speed (its what I'm use to)

Comment

When I took the wooden grip off my PSE to make the grip thinner (riser only) my draw length was too long, and we shortened it up to 28". The bow shoots nicely, but it's 'only' 60 pounds now. I have been shooting it like that, and I'm probably pushing my 500 grain CarbonTech arrows as 220 fps or less, and while it would be tough to compete and win in unmarked 3d shoots, for hunting and typical shots to 25 yards more or less, it's a great bow. A new 340 fps bow would be fun, but the animals would not die any faster in the end. Arrows kill by cutting arteries and veins and blood loss, bullets kill primarily by transfer of KE and organ/tissue damage.

Comment

To find the speeds obtained with a 332.5 grain arrow, here is the
                              formula using standard 10 fps/in of DL, 2 fps/lb DW, 3 fps/grain
                              arrow weight and string weights.
                              IBO= 320
                              minus (70-67.3)x2 = -5.4 fps for DW
                              minus (30 - 28.5)x10 = -15 fps for DL
                              plus (350 - 332.5)/3 = +5.8 fps for Arrow weight
                              minus (14+5+2)/3 = -7 fps for peep, loop, nock point

320 - 21.6 = 298.4 fps

My old setup

IBO = 320
                              Minus ( 70 – 70) X 2 = -0 fps for DW
                              Minus ( 30 -27 ) X 10 =-30 fps for DL
                              Plus ( 350 – 351 ) / 3 = -.33 FPS for Arrow Weight
                              Minus ( 5.4 + 5 + 2 ) / 3 = -4.13

-0 + -30 + -.33 + -4.13 = -34.46
                              320 – 34.46 = 285.54

Easton Axis .400 27” w/125 @ FFP360 w/4” wrap

IBO Your Setup
                              70 70 <--- Your Draw Weight 0 2 0
                              30 27 <--- Your Draw Length 3 10 30
                              350 353 <--- Your Arrow Weight 3 3 1
                              Wt on String 9

IBO Fps Neg. Fps Est FPS
                              320 40 280

Comment