Gumbo Roux Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    Can you really get the dark rich color and flavor doing it without oil?
    No you cannot

Comment

Good deal man.

Bootsie’s is good in a pinch

But if I make it with love I just grab a six pack, put on bluegrass gospel from the HPR app, and stir over flame until the beer is gone.

And YesSir, you can get it dark without oil. Many of my kin folk are experts at dry roux.

Comment

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
        Here is a tip for a roux. If your just making one pot you can do it in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. I do it this way now because you will never burn it and it only take minutes and you can get it the way you want from peanut butter to chocolate in color. 30 seconds and stir until you get what you want.
        ^^^This is the Cajun Blake method. Cup of oil plus a cup of flour in a Pyrex bowl. 3 mins in mico then stir, 3 mins in mico then stir, then 30 secs stir etc until it's the color you want. For small batches, it works amazing and I get compliments all the time. Hadn't thought to pour off the oil but I will now. I usually do Roux the day before because of the smell.

Comment

I was going to shoot some coot for a coot and sausage gumbo. I'll try this when I do. Just have to figure out how to get off the water without anyone seeing them. Coot and antelope sausage gumbo. May need some shrimps in there too. Dunno. But I'm a file' man. None of that okra stuff for my gumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            I was going to shoot some coot for a coot and sausage gumbo. I'll try this when I do. Just have to figure out how to get off the water without anyone seeing them. Coot and antelope sausage gumbo. May need some shrimps in there too. Dunno. But I'm a file' man. None of that okra stuff for my gumbo.
            That’s what makes gumbo the perfect dish. No Rules!!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
              ^^^This is the Cajun Blake method. Cup of oil plus a cup of flour in a Pyrex bowl. 3 mins in mico then stir, 3 mins in mico then stir, then 30 secs stir etc until it's the color you want. For small batches, it works amazing and I get compliments all the time. Hadn't thought to pour off the oil but I will now. I usually do Roux the day before because of the smell.

Thanks for posting this tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                Very interesting! About how many 3 min cycles does it usually take to get dark brown?

Comment

Whelp....looks like gumbo tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                    Whelp....looks like gumbo tomorrow!
                    That was my plan. Have tried it in the oven but didn’t care for it as much as the regular method. Don’t mind the time since it turns out great but if I can spend 1/3rd the time making the roux and it turns out just as good! Shoot, I’m all about process improvements.

Comment

My brother came up from New Iberia the last weekend of youth season and we got his oldest a deer. Celebrated with a gumbo cooked outside with lots of adult beverages and zydeco blasting on the radio.

We made way too much roux for my 14qt black pot. Stuck that puppy in a mason jar for later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        My brother came up from New Iberia the last weekend of youth season and we got his oldest a deer. Celebrated with a gumbo cooked outside with lots of adult beverages and zydeco blasting on the radio.

We made way too much roux for my 14qt black pot. Stuck that puppy in a mason jar for later

That looks great bloodstick. I can smell it way over here.

Comment

Man this thread has got my mouth watering!

Comment

I love real cajun gumbo, all kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

Oh yeah man if you makin a roux always make extra so you don gotta make it da next time you want a gumbo

Comment

Definitely a gumbo weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X