Feeder pen/ hog trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pen/ hog trap

I have a friend that wants me to help him design/ build a deer feeder pen that will double as a hog trap. I have some reservations about it, due to suitable fence height for each use. Has anyone tried this, or have any suggestions? Thanks

Here is a good thread complete with a drawing. I hope it helps

Comment

Oh, this is not a feed pen and I wouldn't attempt that for deer hunting. I think the trap should always be separate from a feed pen.

Comment

I have not done it on purpose, but there are deer in our circle hog trap all the time. its got a live view camera and remote trigger on the gate.

Comment

A feed pen for deer that also catches hogs sounds like a bad idea. Deer don’t like to be around hogs.

Comment

Yes I do it. The pen in the referenced thread is small. I have a 30-35 ft. diameter trap designed like the number 6. I do use a t-post to tie back the panel to allow pigs to access. Deer and pigs will walk in. Deer can jump out. Height is 4ft. The panel used as a door will need to be rigged top and bottom so hogs wont lift it. I run fencing wire thru the openings on the bottom of the door panel in a Z pattern and tie off every turn to a t-post. I also have a chain on the top that will help hold the door panel down and not get pushed up. There is additional wiring at the bottom of the panels tied to t-posts so those too can't be lifted or folded up. The gate is always open. I use a loop and loop the tag end thru it with a straight pin made of wire to hold the gate open. The string tied to the pin is run across the backside of the trap with corn behind the string. It takes very little pressure to pull the pin and shut the gate. Hogs will attack that cattle panel to get out. Sometimes for many hours when you set it over night. Without additional support a cattle panel is no match for a group of big hogs. The most I have got with 1 set is 26. The smallest set yielded 11.
            Last edited by E.TX.BOWHUNTER; 12-13-2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

One suggestion based on experience---use panels with the 4x4 or smaller openings so the piglets can't squirm out.

Comment

This:

Round 4 will be starting soon.

Comment

Dusty Britches's method is a proven success and if you have the space and resources is a natural thing to do. Best idea I've seen on here for making trapping/killing hogs both effective and lots of fun!!

Comment

For anyone wondering, the deer don’t mind sharing Dusty Britches’ trap with the hogs. Tons of deer pics in the food plot, sometimes you’ll see a hog or two in the same frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X