Specialty Pistol success on Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specialty Pistol success on Nilgai

Was invited to a private ranch in south Texas to hunt some Nilgai. Showed up Sunday after lunch and hit the ground running. Spotted a cow at over 1,000 yards and proceeded to stalk towards her. Was unable to get a shot so worked over a ridge of grass covered dunes and a cow was standing at the base of the dune 40 yards away. Took an off-handed shot (first time for that) with the XP-100 in .45-70 Govt and dropped the cow in her tracks.

Hit the trails the next morning in the ranger to look for a bull. Spotted one feeding at 800 yards and had good cover to stalk towards him. Got to within 350 yards, but he was in a low spot and I could only see the ridge of his back. Next clump of brush would put me less than 200 yards from him, but it was the only option we had to get a clear shot. Got into place and waited for the bull to come out of the draw he was in. He stepped out on the far side and gave me a quartering shot. The .300 WSM Remington 700 Specialty Pistol ripped and the bull disappeared. Seconds later he appeared on the close side of the draw and I took a second shot dropping him where he stood.
    We gave him 15-20 minutes because we could not see him in the tall grass. As we approached on foot, I could see I had my bull! I then looked across the draw and the original bull I shot was laying only feet from where I shot him as well. Both myself and the guide thought it was the same bull, but in fact I had shot two separate bulls. The 175 grain Controlled Chaos bullet from Lehigh Defense had dropped both animals in less than 10 feet from their impact. The guide and I spent the next few hours quartering the bulls and we then split the meat. I was able to go home with over 300 pounds of meat, two trophy bulls, and photos and memories to last a lifetime! Was an amazing hunt with great people. God is GOOD!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t even imagine that kind of success on 3 different Nilgai. Been several times with a rifle and it’s a tremendous challenge. Mucho congratulations on you accomplishments sir.

Comment

That’s a serious hunk of pistol ! Congrats !

Comment

Really cool! Congrats!

Comment

If the bullet didn’t get em I bet the sound wave would!

Comment

Very cool, congrats! My wallet is hurting just thinking about such a hunt.

Comment

Nice job! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Lots of fine table fare there. Big congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on three Nilgai sir! That is awesome. And that's an animal I've never thought about hunting with a pistol. Thanks for the new dream sir!

Comment

Nice Animal! Probably not the ideal pistol for concealed carry I’m guessing.

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Cool deal, congrats

Comment

Congrats on an awesome animal!

Comment

Now that is impressive!!

Comment

Working...