Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Land

OK...see if you can follow this?

My M-I-L and her Brother, were left 3 acres of Land by my wife's Great Uncle, which had No wife or Kids. My B-I-L and M-I-L lived on the property, which has a 16X80 trailer on it. So My B-I-L, dies 2018, My M-I-L dies in 2019. I talked to the uncle about the back taxes and he said he wasn't paying them, just give him $10k and we will call it good. Well the land minus the back taxes would be way more than half of what its worth. Then the uncle dies in 2020; I paid all the back taxes so nobody could take it (the tax lady said I shouldn't pay taxes on land that's not mine but the trailer is mine). I go to talk to the M-I-L brother widow, and she said she doesn't know what I'm talking about and slams the door in my face. I would think the land is technically hers, in the order of who died when.

Is there a form I could fill out to get the land in my name or do I need to get a lawyer, and if so what kind of lawyer.

Or just keep paying the taxes every year till she dies...

The two people that are on the land title now are Dead.

Very confusing...

Definitely lawyer up on this one!!

Comment

Unless someone is a lawyer don't take any advice unless they are advising getting a lawyer because this sounds like a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
        Unless someone is a lawyer don't take any advice unless they are advising getting a lawyer because this sounds like a mess.
        ^^^^^^ Best advice you'll get.... Close the thread and get a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think u need to be the person on record for MANY years as the tax payer to have a leg to stand on.
          Does the current lady have kids? Is she mentally squared away? Does she have income or a way to get funds? Lawyers are expensive and I am not sure you are at that point.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Holy Toledo, can we get a family tree for reference?

Comment

I am lost so I would say to Lawyer up!

Comment

Donate your liability in exchange for any future legal obligations if you can, I donated 22 acres much like yours several years back simply due to the fact the legal fees would have far outweighed the financial gains from becoming the legal owner of the property. Sometimes it’s better to know when to walk away rather than fight through the mess.

Comment

Get a lawyer

Comment

Wow. I’m dizzy after that who shot John.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                      Definitely lawyer up on this one!!

Comment

Have their deaths been probated by the court? Any wills to speak of? Pay the taxes if you want to prevent the loss of the land. Move the trailer and evict widow if you want to keep the trailer. Probate of death will distribute assets and any outstanding debts/liens. Just went through some of this from my Grandmother dying in 2005, and uncle dying in 2019, and grandma never had probate with multiple properties dispersed amongst her three children- uncle had outdated will.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did inherit 50 ac and went through this process. Get a local lawyer that has a good reputation and will give you price for the probate process!

Good luck.

Comment

Probably better just move your trailer off of it and be done

Comment

Lawyer up. You have already paid taxes. If the two people on the deed are dead and left it to no one it may now be owned by some public entity and you may be able to wrangle it from them.

Comment

Best advice…Lawyer
                              Even paying taxes on a place for years that’s not deeded to you doesn’t guarantee ownership or transfer of it
                              My brother is dealing with this on a land he is trying to purchase. It’s a 16.5 acre place. The owner passed away this past spring. Found out it was two plots one being 10 acre under his name & the 6.5 acre plot is deeded under another name but the guy had been paying taxes on the additional 6.5 acre plot for the past 8-10 years. The heirs are trying to work with a lawyer on the deed part of the 6.5 acres
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X