No announcement yet.

Watch the cows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My granddad was old school if we went fishing and the majority of cows were laying down we would go back home. It was a pretty good indicator i still use today.

Comment

I thinks there’s truth to it and mist definitely the moon phase. Doesn’t really matter though, cause you can’t shoot them if your sitting on the couch. I’ll hunt either way.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        I am around cows and deer all day pretty much every day. And that old saying is bull****.
        Agree 100%

Comment

How about bananas on a boat? Always thought is was bs. Then one day out of prince william sound in Alaska the fishing is dead.... It was strange, come to find out one of the folks on board had bananas in their bag.. I gave them a toss overboard, after chowing down on a couple.. Shortly thereafter the bite was steady and we caught our limit!

Hmmmmmmm is all I had to say.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            From Dr. Grant Woods who was at one time a big proponent of hunting the moon phases.

Woods said that’s why he dumped his Deer Activity Index and moved on. “Anything based on observed deer – what you see while hunting with your own two eyes – is biased,” he said. “You’re putting your best effort where you think you’ll most likely see deer. Meanwhile, a GPS collar follows that deer everywhere, 24 hours a day. And when you compare GPS data from about 300 to 400 deer in various studies on the same day in different locations, you see tremendous differences in observed vs. unobserved activity.”

Woods, however, doesn’t expect most hunters to agree. “I won’t hang my hat on anything that ties deer activity to moon phases or moon positions,” he said. “The better our scientific tools become, the less you see connections. There’s zero relationships with the moon. It’s the same straight line across the page. Hunters will hammer me for saying that, but they just don’t want to accept the truth about the moon.”

One study showing a difference of opinion from decades of studies. Interesting

Does he have an opinion on barometric pressure as it relates to hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by savage1134 View Post
              How about bananas on a boat? Always thought is was bs. Then one day out of prince william sound in Alaska the fishing is dead.... It was strange, come to find out one of the folks on board had bananas in their bag.. I gave them a toss overboard, after chowing down on a couple.. Shortly thereafter the bite was steady and we caught our limit!

Hmmmmmmm is all I had to say.
              I draw a different conclusion. Bananas are great chum and shod be on every boat!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't pay much attention to cow behavior. Are they up at first and last light feeding?
                If it is their active feeding time and they are all facing downwind, what do they do when they come to a fence.
                To me if the cows are moving you should just shoot one of them, they have more meat on them anyway. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I am around cows and deer all day pretty much every day. And that old saying is bull****.
                  Agreed. I've been watching this for 35+ yrs HOPING to make a correlation but I have never seen more than a broken clock being right twice per day. Now I do believe in the moon patterns.

Comment

I’ve noticed that when the barometric pressure is rising my scent on still days seems to spread in all directions and when it’s falling my scent seems to rise. I like to hunt a falling barometer. As for the cows and moon, I don’t put much stock in either. I’ve killed just as many deer and seen movement on either moon phase. Hunt what you believe. I hunt and fish when I can, regardless of moon or cows. You can’t kill anything sitting in your recliner.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                      Agreed. I've been watching this for 35+ yrs HOPING to make a correlation but I have never seen more than a broken clock being right twice per day. Now I do believe in the moon patterns.
                      Yep

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        One study showing a difference of opinion from decades of studies. Interesting

Does he have an opinion on barometric pressure as it relates to hunting?
                        A study done by Penn State, proving a man wrong, who's life work is deer and he acknowledges that he was wrong is not only interesting, it is significant.

I haven't read Dr. Woods opinion on barometric pressure.

Comment

I first heard of the cow/deer theory around 30 years ago from a fellow lease member who told about the mornings event with his grandson.
                          He was taking his young grandson hunting and while driving to spot the cows were all laying down. He told his grandson the deer dont move if cows laying down theory.
                          Got to parking spot and started walking next to a field with cows laying down and grandson stops, picks up a rock and throws it at the cows. He asked the kid what he was doing and kid responded that he was trying to get the cows up so the deer would move.

Comment

I've noticed............when I see cows I don't see deer.

DJ

Comment

We've got cows on our property and I've never noticed any correlation between the movement of the cows and the deer.

Comment

Cows will let you know when other critters are approaching.
                                They will also let you know whether or not you are well hidden. Pretty sharp-eyed at short distance (bow range).

Comment

Working...
                                X