No announcement yet.

Barndominium colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the commercial painting business, specifically metal restoration.

Corten is very popular and we chemically treat steel to mimic this product, and apply clear coating. What customers have noticed, corten rust will come off on clothing and "drip" rust. So, you are seeing more coatings to prevent this (powder coating, clear coating, etc). Really is a cool product, rusts to a certain point and stops.

For the painting finishes, demand for "kynar based" paint. Kynar is designed to hold up again caulk and fade, should see 30 plus years of service. Most applications, this paint is baked on, so not only will it hold up to sun but also very durable. My company sprays the "air dried" version of this paint and its well over $300 a gallon, without primer.

Blacken steel is also hot product right now along with blacken stainless "which I do not fully understand". When blackening a product, will require either clear coating or oiling to protect from rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsp View Post

We liked the green and tan. Best never ending project I ever started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Good looking place and my first color choice personally. Alas, I was outvoted by my sister wife and real wife! I have a feeling this is going to happen on about every part of the build!
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
        My neighbor is building his house using a tin called burnt bamboo. It is very dark charcoal and has some texturing to it.
        I can't seem to find this when I do a quick online search. The Tin itself is called Burnt Bamboo or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
          I can't seem to find this when I do a quick online search. The Tin itself is called Burnt Bamboo or am I missing something?
          I am also interested in this metal.

Comment

I would think black would be much hotter. Anyone that ever owned a black vehicle knows what I'm talking about. The black looks really good but I would be afraid it would be hot and fade sooner than other colors.

Comment

As mentioned, dark colors fade. They will look good for a while, but will eventually fade. Red goes to pink, etc. Lots of the dark colors will start “chalking up”.

The light colors will chalk up a little, but from 30 feet away, you can’t really tell.

Hard to tell that a faded white car is “faded” at a distance, but a faded DARK car looks bad across the parking lot.

Comment

We went with Austin stone and copper colored roof...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                  Question for those knowledgeable about barndos. My wife and I are looking at building a barn house soon. Here is the question: how dirty do they get on the exterior and show it? The reason I ask is because my wife is really liking the black exterior with cedar accents. I like that, but like the white farmhouse look better. Is one better than the other for showing dirt and grime? I'm assuming it's like a vehicle where black shows more than white. Anybody an expert? The last thing I want is to build something that looks crappy all the time

Not an expert but ours has stayed clean except for under the porches where rain doesn’t hit. So far so good and we love our colors!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	24644503

Comment

We are in the middle of our building, it's black walls with galvalume roof gutters and trim. We will them natural wood accent it. I will share pics next week when dried in.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                      We are in the middle of our building, it's black walls with galvalume roof gutters and trim. We will them natural wood accent it. I will share pics next week when dried in.

Sean

Awesome. Would you mind sharing some info? I'll pm you

Comment

We just built one charcoal gray with white trim and galvalume roof. We love it

Comment

I like Galvalume walls with dark brown trim.

Or white with black trim.

Comment

We went with burnished slate all over, except for the roll-up doors which are copper. We like it!

Comment

If you guys don’t mind what’s the cost per square foot these days? My son is a freshman in High School and one he goes off to college we will be looking to downgrade.

Comment

I have a barndo cabin in progress- 900sf of living space.

Burnished slate exterior with galvaluum color roof. I used big cedar posts for the front porch columns.

Adding in 1 more front window that I forgot to design in, and cedar exterior shutters to make the windows stand out a little better.

Comment

Working...
                                X