Kinder Morgan vs Dow Chemical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinder Morgan vs Dow Chemical

I have offers to work for both/either at the moment.

Both have good base benefits but Dow's are slightly better (4 weeks PTO to start, pension,3%extra in 401k, better bonus and room to grow).

Anyone have input on these companies as salaried employees? Both positions offered to me are not hourly or union represented jobs.

Good problem to have lol?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaime1982; 01-26-2022, 01:50 PM.

i worked for Kinder Morgan when they bought GATX. They are a good company unless things have changed. Mainly depends on what you will be doing. I hear some really krappy things about DOW.
    Last edited by Bayouboy; 01-26-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Kinder Morgan was my largest customer for 6 of the last 7 years. I’ve worked with them from top to bottom on the CO2 side of things, and they are an excellent company to work for. That’s all I have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        i worked for Kinder Morgan when they bought GATX. They are a good company unless things have changed. Mainly depends on what you would be doing. I hear some really krappy things about DOW.
        Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        Kinder Morgan was my largest customer for 6 of the last 7 years. I’ve worked with them from top to bottom on the CO2 side of things, and they are an excellent company to work for. That’s all I have to offer.
        Thanks for the input. Only thing that really bothers me about KM is the federal contractor thing. They are pushing HARD for the jab, they did offer a med-religious exemption but if its not approved or later changed for what ever reason id have 35 days to jab or face termination. Everything else sounds pretty good and its back in the petrochem side (galena park location). Im working for Kuraray right now and have been wanting to get back into the refining vs vinyls.

Comment

I have worked for Dow for 33 years. Compare insurance benefits. I have no complaints with our benefits at all. Insurance is fairly cheap with great coverage. Overall company wide it has been a great employer and I have been empowered to make decisions that directly affect our company profits and strategies.

Comment

Good luck and God Bless

Comment

Even as a Dow retiree and pension drawer, I don’t have a lot of good to say about them. They used to be good, but in the last 20 years have gone way downhill imo. I was going to question you saying you would get a pension until you said it was a salaried job. It may have changed, but around 1997 I think, they didn’t offer pensions for new hires. They may have changed that to stay competitive? After I retired from there, I worked at 2 other big company jobs. Both had far superior 401k plans than Dow. Don’t know much about Kinder Morgan other than my last job our pipeline company sold gas to them and I have been in several of their facilities. They have a lot of facilities. From what little time I spent in them, they seemed pretty safe. The only other thing I know is, a guy working for them in a similar job to mine claimed he was making substantially less money than me and he was wanting to leave. Not sure how old you are, but you can always take one of the jobs and keep looking 😄

Comment

I know DOW in the past years has replaced a lot of people with contractors for certain things from what I hear in the Freeport/Clute area. No personal knowledge, just hired guys into law enforcement who were tired of the hired/work/layoff routine. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

ZZ they changed pensions last year just as you said, to try and compete. It’s better than it was even back before the change around 97. High company match.
                  As for as safety, TX Operations had a .02 OSHA rate for 2021. To put it in perspective, HEB Corp had a .24 OSHA rate for 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by JGreen31 View Post
                    ZZ they changed pensions last year just as you said, to try and compete. It’s better than it was even back before the change around 97. High company match.
                    As for as safety, TX Operations had a .02 OSHA rate for 2021. To put it in perspective, HEB Corp had a .24 OSHA rate for 2021.
                    Haven’t seen you posting in a while? Good to hear. I know from previous threads that you’ve always been happy. Good luck deciding op

Comment

I worked for KM from 06 to 11. I was on the bulk side not the liquid side which is a big difference in pay but same company principles. Pretty good benefits and decent company match back then. Now whatever Field you're in seems like their pay was always lower than their competitors. I do remember though in 2008 when the economy tanked upper management took a pay cut to keep from laying people off which forever earned my respect for the company.
                      Last edited by ElfEyes; 01-26-2022, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I've been with Dow for 34 years and anytime someone asked me how I like working for Dow I always tell them I am still here should tell you something.

Comment

I don’t work for Dow but have been doing business with Dow for many years.
                          You will just be another number at Dow. I don’t see very much autonomy when it comes to decision making from the folks at Dow either. That is a giant corporate machine where you have a meeting to discuss a meeting that you may or probably don’t need.

Kinder Morgan I’m less familiar with but I’ve dealt with them on the terminal side for years. My impression is less corporate and less rigid.

Good luck with the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great info. Thanks fam. I think i have made my decision but wanted some feedback from our brain trust here.

Comment

I know Kinder has a COVID vax mandate

In case that matters to you

Comment

Working...
                              X